Prime Anderson Silva vs. Poatan - Who wins?

Who wins?

• Total voters
l1wQE3.gif

who said it would be a "striking" battle?
<BC1>
I suspect Silva though probably need to hurt him standing to get it to the ground as he did vs Hendo.

Alex is massive. It’s amazing that he can even make MW. I’d pick Alex to win cause he’s huge.

We would talk about this fight being one of the greatest all-time like Fedor vs Crocop...

Lots of responses talking about Andersons chin. Even in his prime Andersons chin is not holding up to a flush shot from Alex. Also it's a moot point that Anderson has a more complete game because he is not effectively taking Alex down.

He could win on points with a really safe strategy but I think Alex is more likely to win

Lots of responses talking about Andersons chin. Even in his prime Andersons chin is not holding up to a flush shot from Alex. Also it's a moot point that Anderson has a more complete game because he is not effectively taking Alex down.

He could win on points with a really safe strategy but I think Alex is more likely to win
It could be a factor that Anderson would be more likely to finish following up a knockdown you could argue although Alex has looked pretty strong there as well.

I just feel that the "Matrix" hype around Silva was always a lot about mind games, about getting opponents desperate making errors or just very defensive, I don't think Silva actually had THAT amazing defence on the front foot, you look back pre Matrix and against people like Franklin he's basically out chinning/powering them walking though a lot of offence.

Last edited:
Silva was succeptable to leg kicks which Poatan is a master of...

If Silva wouldn't find a way to a sub, then Poatan by destroying Silva's legs and finding a KO.

Bruno Silva and Ottoni ate Alex's shots and stayed in there, yet people act like it's out of the question for Silva in his prime to? Silva was a lot quicker and Alex doesn't have the best chin or defense, Jiri was finding him at range and getting the better of a lot of exchanges too, he just kept trying to clinch and Alex was far superior off the breaks and in close. Jan at nearly 41 was competitive standing with Alex too (and Izzy lmao). I think Anderson has a very good chance to knock Alex out.

The flipside is also True, Anderson was a pure counter striker and when guys didn't give him openings, he would often look a little sloppy or just stay on the outside and taunt. Pereira is bigger and longer and could definitely chop at Andersons legs while forcing Silva to commit first...which he hates doing and isnt his Forte.

Yeah, I really don't know who to pick. Alex is beatable, even standing for sure. But stylistically he poses a ton of issues for Anderson. I don't think Anderson is sneaking in a takedown to win either unless he drops Poatan as previously mentioned. It's a really cool historic fight idea.

I would probably pick Alex personally, Silva was clearly a much better BJJ fighter but this would likely be standing and I never really bought his "Matrix" unhittable image, when people didnt get sloppy he tended to have to walk though offence to land quite a lot.

Yeah like he didnt dodge Belfort's punches before knocking him out with a front kick
Time to renew your BS narratives

I would be rooting for Poatan but there’s no way I’d bet against prime Anderson

Silva quit due to the pain from Jared's leg kicks... I believe Poatan's leg kicks are more devastating

Anderson has more tools, great fight.

Prime Silva was just different. He had finishing moves

I think, while Silva is an overall better fighter, Pereira is a terrible matchup for him.
Anderson would do his cocky hands down dodging shit and Poatan lands a left hook from hell.
All of the great strikers Silva beat were because they were terrified of his standup. Rightfully so as at the time there was nobody else with that level of standup in the division. Vitor practically served that front kick on a silver platter to Silva the way he was standing so still in front of him instead of rushing Silva like he normally does. But Pereira won't be as he's the better striker. He's wants to strike with Silva as that's where he's better.

And for those saying Pereira could be KO'd he's only been KO'd by Izzy's nuclear, all or nothing triple counter punches in the middle of an exchange that could've easily gotten Izzy KO'd instead. Silva doesn't remotely throw like that. He's a precision striker and not the kind of fighter to risk himself like that to land a game changing blow. You'd be far better off arguing Silva might hurt him a few times just enough to controversially earn him a decision. Controversially as I can't see him actually outstriking Pereira for 25 minutes, but hurting him/getting a KD here or there could arguably give him the 3 rounds needed.

If we're being at all honest Pereira likely folds Silva. Pereira can strike with Silva a lot better than Silva can strike with Pereira.

Last edited:
I pick Poatan

I request mods to move this to fantasy matchup like they did with all my similar threads.

Pereira probably would have had just as much success if he had been in Anderson’s exact position fighting the same guys. Prime Anderson was at the same level of apex predator but with even better grappling.

What about Pereira's chin? Silva hits harder than Izzy.

Also with the exception of Izzy, the fighters Pereira has been dusting aren't better than the fighters Silva faced in his prime. Jiri has zero defense and was there to be hit. Strickland wouldn't be a top 5 middleweight during Silva's reign.

Alex has the power, peak Anderson had his matrix movements... tough call, I think Anderson is more complete in MMA, but Alex has the death touch. If Anderson can dodge that I think he takes it.

Back