Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Pride FC

Founded October 11, 1997.
Defunct October 4, 2007
Defunked
deodorant-man-applying-under-arm-credit-istock-153524282-630x518.jpg

This week, let's celebrate the 20th year since Pride came into existence, and mourn the 10th year since it left us.

This week, create threads to commemorate Pride fighters, Pride fights, Pride refs, Pride events...anything Pride.

Debate rages on (on Sherdog) as to whether Pride or UFC had the deeper talent pool.

Regardless, it seems the history of the two organizations is completely entwined; just two months before the initial Pride event occurred on October 11, 1997, UFC 14 took place in front of a meager crowd of 5,000. The UFC's website at the time featured a segment called "the UFC needs you," asking fans to urge their cable providers to show the next UFC event. UFC was struggling.

Pride 1, meanwhile, took place in front of a crowd of 47,680. 4 fighters those fans came to see were Gary Goodridge, Oleg Taktarov, Dan Severn, & Kimo; all former UFC standouts.

A decade later, upon Pride's closing, the talent pool shifted in the other direction when the UFC acquired Pride and most of its fighters; impresively, UFC's current #2, #3, & #5 ranked heavyweights are all former Pride stars (Werdum, Overeem, & Hunt). The argument can still be made that Pride's HW champion, Fedor Emelianenko, remains the greatest of all time.

Regardless, thank you Pride, for the amazing events you provided during a dark era for the UFC. We miss you.

10000086.gif
fedor-vs-nog.gif

326456019.gif
DqUrUVw.gif
Wanderlei20KOs20Rampage_medium.gif
HendoWandy.gif~original
WellwornGiddyJunebug.gif
463994_o_medium.gif
mirko-crocop-knocks-out-wanderlei-silva.gif
WelcomeAdeptHoneyeater.gif
2nuet0.jpg

And Pride wouldn't be the same without El Guapo
bas-rutten-dont-do-this-o.gif

Mauro Ranallo
Damen the Dog Perry
& Stephen Quadros

Pride, never die!!!

Last edited:
Best organization ever!

Despite its faults, it brought the most entertaining events ever.

It's not even the week of the anniversary of Pride. To you sir<Deported1>butterbean_minowa.jpg

Pride did have the better talent at the time also "Better production value" & "better paydays" , remember those arguments? Lol. Like anyone knew what the fuck they were talking about.
They also had some THEE dumbest fights ever. *cough cough * Giant Silva.

I'd sacrifice so much to have Pride back:

WMMA
FW, BW, FLY
Reebok
Colin McGoober
Ronda Rousey
Fuck it... The UFC.

Nothing that has come since has filled the hole that Pride left.

Last edited:
I'd sacrifice so much to have Pride back:

WMMA
FW, BE, FLY
Reebok
Colin McGoober
Ronda Rousey
Fuck it... The UFC.

Nothing that has come since has filled the hole that Pride left.
Rizin is rising though! Lets hope they grow to be the next Pride

Rizin is rising though! Lets hope they grow to be the next Pride
Would be awesome if they did...
If they just found a ridiculous amount of Yakuza money, bought Jon Jones back into fighting, bought Brock, and cherry picked Bellator and UFC for the best guys to roid and stomp on each other's heads... That would be awesome.

Rizin for me could fall apart at any minute... They also need to do more events... I guess it does remind me of Pride a bit!

Last edited:
Would be awesome if they did...
If they just found a ridiculous amount of Yakuza money, bought Jon Jones back into fighting, bought Brock, and cherry picked Bellator and UFC for the best guys... That would be awesome.

Rizin for me could fall apart at any minute... They also need to do more events... I guess it does remind me of Pride a bit!
They already got some solid talent and some who are at the beginning of their career (Kron, King Reina etc) . I think their roster is ok for such new promotion (although they should try to get Aoki back). But yeah im also worried, thats why i buy every ppv

Come on brother,Don't stop there. Show us the ending.
It's true....Taking that slam and winning is even more impressive than slamming someone, no matter how spectacular.

War Fedor
War Kevin

One of the things I miss about pride was the element of fun, the fighters seemed happier and didnt take themselves as seriously as they do now. The commentary was hilarious and even the shambles of the ten refs trying to keep the fighters in the ring was borderline ridiculous but somehow it worked.
The fans, the Japanese crowd were the best too, so knowledgeable and respectful.

I remember the days of downloading torrents of Pride fights the moment they dropped (which oftentimes happened shortly after the fight had finished), and it was exciting (and fucking illegal, I know...), yet sucked at the same time cuz you knew from the size of the torrent approximately how long the fight had lasted, so if a torrent was, say, 20 mb, you KNEW it was gonna be an early finish, and occasionaly that made me nervous as fuck...

It was before the time of simply downloading whole events at a time, cuz that would litterally take days with the internet speed back then.

Good times.

Nothing witty or funny to add. Just YES to all of this.

Back