President Trump vs. The MSM: Sean Spicer say mistakes undermine the credibility of the press

White House blocks CNN, NY Times, LA Times, Politico, BuzzFeed from off-camera press briefing for expanded pool
By Callum Borchers
February 24 at 4:10 PM

The White House on Friday barred news outlets -- including CNN, the New York Times, Politico and the Los Angeles Times – from attending an off-camera press briefing held by spokesman Sean Spicer, igniting another controversy concerning the relationship between the Trump administration and the media.

The Wall Street Journal, which did participate in the briefing, said in a statement that it was unaware of the exclusions and "had we known at the time, we would not have participated, and we will not participate in such closed briefings in the future."

The Washington Post did not have a reporter present at the time of the gaggle.

CNN's Sara Murray went on air to describe what happened:

We lined up. We were told there was a list ahead of time, which is sort of abnormal, but we put our name on a list. And then when we went to enter, I was blocked by a White House staffer, who said we were not on the list for this gaggle today.

Now, normally, if you were going to do something like this — an extended gaggle, off camera — you would have one person from each news outlet. As you know, we have multiple people from CNN here every day. So, if you're going to do something beyond a pool, which is sort of the smallest group of reporters that then disseminates the information, you would have one person from every news outlet.

That is not what the White House was doing today. What the White House was doing was handpicking the outlets they wanted in for this briefing. So Breitbart, the Washington Times, the One America News Network — news outlets that maybe the White House feels are more favorable were all allowed in, whereas I was blocked from entering, Politico was blocked from entering, the New York Times, the L.A. Times. All of these news outlets were blocked from going to a gaggle.

White House Correspondents' Association President Jeff Mason called in to CNN to say the organization is “still getting information about” the decision, adding:

They clearly wanted to have a gaggle that was not on camera and was not the full press corps today. We don't object to there being briefings like that that aren't always on camera, but we have encouraged them when they want to do something like that ... [to] still do it in the press room and do it in a place where all the reporters have a chance to ask questions.

So, we've made that clear, and we're going to continue to have discussions with them about that. And we're not happy about how this happened today.

The Post's Executive Editor Marty Baron issued the following statement:

“It’s appalling that the White House would exclude news outlets like the New York Times, CNN, Politico, the Los Angeles Times, and BuzzFeed from its publicly announced briefings. This is an undemocratic path that the administration is traveling. There is nothing to be gained from the White House restricting the public’s access to information. We are currently evaluating what our response will be if this sort of thing happens again.”

White House deputy communications director Raj Shah insisted this was all much ado about nothing.

But New York Times Executive Editor Dean Baquet declared that “nothing like this has ever happened at the White House in our long history of covering multiple administrations of different parties.”

BuzzFeed editor in chief Ben Smith, whose outlet also was excluded, added this: "While we strongly object to the White House's apparent attempt to punish news outlets whose coverage it does not like, we won't let these latest antics distract us from continuing to cover this administration fairly and aggressively."

Ben Wizner, director of the Speech, Privacy and Technology Project at the American Civil Liberties Union called the White House's move "yet another disturbing example of the Trump administration’s contempt for the vital role a free press plays in our democracy."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ter-trump-slams-media/?utm_term=.8fa1bb8e8078

Last edited:
Washington Post hires John Podesta as columnist
BY JOE CONCHA
February 23, 2017​
johnpodesta_082415getty.jpg

http://thehill.com/media/320823-washington-post-hires-john-podesta-as-columnist

Washington Post not even trying to be objective anymore lol

Does the White House usually have their standard press briefings on Fridays?

They were put in the corner with CNN

CNN's Jake Tapper: White House excluding the press is 'un-American'
By Christina Manduley and Jason Kurtz, CNN | February 24, 2017
CNN's Jake Tapper said there's one word to describe the White House's decision to block several news organizations from a press briefing: "un-American."

CNN, The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Politico and Buzzfeed were blocked from an off-camera press briefing Friday held by White House press secretary Sean Spicer just hours after President Donald Trump again said much of the press represents "the enemy of the people," this time during a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington.

"The Trump White House thinks it can punish reporters for sharing with you facts that they do not like," Tapper said.

"Make no mistake about what's happening here," Tapper continued. "A White House that has had some difficulty telling the truth and has seemed to have trouble getting up to speed on the competent functioning of government and a President who seems particularly averse to any criticism and has called the press the 'enemies of the American people,' they're taking the next step in avoiding checks and balances and accountability."

It is "indicative of a lack of basic understanding of how an adult White House functions," he added.

"The Trump White House thinks it can punish reporters for sharing with you facts that they do not like," Tapper said.

"Make no mistake about what's happening here," Tapper continued. "A White House that has had some difficulty telling the truth and has seemed to have trouble getting up to speed on the competent functioning of government and a President who seems particularly averse to any criticism and has called the press the 'enemies of the American people,' they're taking the next step in avoiding checks and balances and accountability."

It is "indicative of a lack of basic understanding of how an adult White House functions," he added.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/24/politics/jake-tapper-white-house-trump-unamerican-cnntv/

Last edited:
Three journalists quit CNN in fallout from retracted Russia story
By Howard Kurtz | June 26, 2017

1498522598983.jpg

Anthony Scaramucci, senior adviser to President Donald Trump

Three CNN journalists who worked on a now-retracted story about Russia and a top Trump adviser are leaving the network.

CNN is casting their departure as resignations in the wake of the fiasco, but the network has come under substantial criticism since apologizing for the story. The move would also help CNN’s legal position in case of a lawsuit.

Anthony Scaramucci, the Trump adviser who is the target of the story, told me that he has no plans to sue. He said he has accepted CNN’s apology and wants to move on.

But Scaramucci also told me in an earlier interview, “I was disappointed the story was published. It was a lie.”

Lex Harris, executive editor of CNN’s investigative unit, was the highest-ranking official to resign. Thomas Frank, who wrote the story, and Eric Lichtblau, who edited it, also turned in their resignations. Lichtblau is a highly regarded reporter who spent nearly a decade and a half at the New York Times.

The story tried to draw a link between Scaramucci and the Russian Direct Investment Fund. Scaramucci was a Trump transition team member who has been nominated to an ambassadorial-level post based in Paris.

The CNN.com article said that Scaramucci, back in January, held a secret meeting with an official from the Russian fund. According to an unnamed source, Scaramucci discussed the possibility of lifting U.S. sanctions at the meeting.

But Scaramucci told me there was no secret meeting. He said he had given a speech on Trump’s behalf at Davos, and fund official Kirill Dmitriev approached him in a restaurant to say hello and they had a brief conversation, with no discussion of sanctions.

In the retraction, the network said the story “did not meet CNN’s editorial standards.” The network is now requiring approval from two top editors before any Russia-related story can be published.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...n-in-fallout-from-retracted-russia-story.html

Last edited:
Sarah Huckabee Sanders rips CNN, media at heated briefing
June 27, 2017

The feud between the Trump White House and CNN reached a fever pitch Tuesday during a feisty press briefing where Deputy Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders slammed “fake news” and said Americans “deserve something better.”

Sanders conducted the first televised briefing in a week, following complaints from the press corps that too many are being held off-camera. She took the podium in place of Press Secretary Sean Spicer, who was on Capitol Hill for a GOP Senate luncheon.

Breitbart News’ Charlie Spiering asked the first question, challenging Sanders on why CNN’s retraction of a recent story was not sufficient enough for the president, who on Tuesday took to Twitter and said: “Wow, CNN had to retract big story on “Russia,” with 3 employees forced to resign. What about all the other phony stories they do? FAKE NEWS!”

CNN had retracted a story linking a Trump adviser to a Russian investment fund. Three journalists involved in the story’s publication have since resigned and CNN issued an apology to the Trump adviser.

“I don’t know if that response is good enough,” Sanders said Tuesday. “It’s the barrage of fake news directed at the president that has garnered his frustration. ... We have gone to a place where if the media can’t be trusted to report the news, then that’s a dangerous place for America.”

Sanders went on to reference an undercover video allegedly showing a CNN producer knocking the network's Russia-Trump coverage.

“There are multiple instances when that outlet has been wrong—there’s a video circulating now, whether it's accurate or not, not sure—but I encourage everyone to take a look at it,” she said. “If it is accurate, I think it’s a disgrace to all of media, to all of journalism.”

Sanders added that the media has been “going on [the] Russia, Trump-hoax for the better part of a year now,” and that “America is looking for something more.”

But Spiering pushed back, asking if the president expects the media “not to report on stories of a foreign country trying to influence the election?”

“I don’t think it’s expected you’re not to report on actual news, but I think there are a lot of things happening in the world that people would like to hear about—job growth, deregulation—those things deserve more coverage,” Sanders said. “I think we should take a good look at what we are focused on and making sure it’s accurate.”

Sanders added, “If we make the slightest mistake, it is an absolute tirade from a lot of people in this room, but news outlets get to go on, day after day, and cite unnamed sources, and use stories without sources.”

Brian J. Karem, executive editor of The Montgomery County Sentinel, a local newspaper in Maryland, then accused Sanders of being “inflammatory.”

“You’re inflaming everyone here,” Karem said. “We’re here to ask questions, you’re here to provide answers—what you did is inflammatory—everybody in this room is just trying to do their job.”

Sanders fired back and said that the problem is “the dishonesty that often takes place in the news media.”

“It is outrageous to accuse me of inflaming a story when I was trying to answer a question,” Sanders added.

Sanders did not take questions from a CNN reporter at the end of the briefing.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...anders-rips-cnn-media-at-heated-briefing.html

Last edited:
Does the White House usually have their standard press briefings on Fridays?

Friday is typically a good day to bury a story since people don't read the news on the weekends just in case you're geniunely asking.

Hey, CNN, what happened to those all-important standards?
By Erik Wemple | July 6, 2017

2012-11-28T010734Z_01_TOR632_RTRIDSP_3_CNN-JEFF-ZUCKER.jpg

CNN’s president, Jeff Zucker

Last week, CNN announced that three top-level news officials had resigned after a mini-scandal over a story that it had published about an alleged investigation of an ally of President Trump. It was a quick chain of events: On Thursday, June 22, CNN published the story; on Friday, June 23, CNN retracted the story; on Monday, June 26, CNN announced the resignations.

So quick was the retraction, in fact, that CNN never detailed exactly what was wrong with the story. “We pulled it down not because we disproved it,” a CNN source told the Erik Wemple Blog. The real problem, said the source, related to internal CNN protocol for editing a sensitive story.

CNN is taking the opposite approach with this week’s mini-scandal, sticking with clumsy and creepy language in a story about a Reddit user who appears to have created an anti-CNN video tweeted by Trump over the holiday weekend. In the tweet below, Trump promoted a video showing him at a wrestling event pummeling a man; the video overlays the man’s face with the logo of CNN, for timely effect: Trump has savaged the network over and over.

A stir resulted, as critics rightly pointed out that the video appears to support, or at least fantasize about, physical attacks on reporters — a not-so-funny matter, considering what happened during May’s special congressional election in Montana. Supporters of the president, however, laughed off the tweet.

CNN set out to determine the digital provenance of the video showcased in Trump’s tweet, a task ideally suited to CNN “KFile” staffer Andrew Kaczynski, a former BuzzFeed staffer who has played a big role in developing the field of digitally based investigative journalism. Here’s the headline on Kaczynski’s Trump-video quest: “How CNN found the Reddit user behind the Trump wrestling GIF.” A Reddit user named “HanA[––]holeSolo” had taken credit for inspiring the Trump-tweeted video, and Kaczynski used details from “HanA[––]holeSolo” postings on Reddit to track him down on Facebook and contact him.

After Kaczynski contacted the Reddit user — but before interviewing him — “HanA[––]holeSolo” posted an extensive apology, since deleted, for his video work and for the racist messages that he’d previously left on Reddit.

First of all, I would like to apologize to the members of the reddit community for getting this site and this sub embroiled in a controversy that should never have happened. I would also like to apologize for the posts made that were racist, bigoted, and anti-semitic. I am in no way this kind of person, I love and accept people of all walks of life and have done so for my entire life. I am not the person that the media portrays me to be in real life, I was trolling and posting things to get a reaction from the subs on reddit and never meant any of the hateful things I said in those posts. I would never support any kind of violence or actions against others simply for what they believe in, their religion, or the lifestyle they choose to have. Nor would I carry out any violence against anyone based upon that or support anyone who did.

More:

The meme was created purely as satire, it was not meant to be a call to violence against CNN or any other news affiliation. I had no idea anyone would take it and put sound to it and then have it put up on the President’s Twitter feed. It was a prank, nothing more. What the President’s feed showed was not the original post that was posted here, but loaded up somewhere else and sound added to it then sent out on Twitter. I thought it was the original post that was made and that is why I took credit for it. I have the highest respect for the journalist community and they put their lives on the line every day with the jobs that they do in reporting the news.

CNN’s Kaczynski is explicit about the timeline surrounding the incident: That apology was issued after Kaczynski had contacted “Han” but before they had a discussion. “After posting his apology, ‘HanA**holeSolo’ called CNN’s KFile and confirmed his identity. In the interview, ‘HanA**holeSolo’ sounded nervous about his identity being revealed and asked to not be named out of fear for his personal safety and for the public embarrassment it would bring to him and his family,” wrote Kaczynski, who noted that “Han” had posted racist, anti-Semitic and other offensive remarks.

Now, on to CNN’s much-discussed stupidity in this instance. CNN granted “Han” anonymity in its treatment of the whole shebang. Whereas CNN usually grants such a privilege to sources “because of the sensitivity of the matter” or “because of the sensitive nature of the visit” or “because this person works with the White House,” this time, the news outlet mustered a far more baroque explanation for the move:

CNN is not publishing “HanA**holeSolo’s” name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

Rarely have three sentences provided so much fodder for media criticism. The long-winded explanation for anonymity establishes one heck of a precedent. Private doers of misdeeds can rejoice; if they can convince CNN that they are making appropriate amends and striving to become a role model in some way or another, then hey, the network will keep their names out of the news. Right?

In spring 2016, a group of Duke University students under the direction of Bill Adair, founder of PolitiFact, scoured 450 anonymous quotes and created a database that included a box to denote “reason given for anonymity.” Those reasons break down into several broad groupings: the sensitive-matter reason; the not-authorized-to-speak-on-the-record reason; the fear-of-reprisal reason; the hurt-professional-relationships reason; and the plan-hasn’t-yet-become-public reason. Not to mention the “asked to remain anonymous because of the stigma attached to bedbugs” reason.

Against the categories identified by the Duke students, the CNN explanation has the look of a seat-of-the-pants expedition — as if a reporter and an editor are building the company’s editorial policies over gchat on a holiday weekend. Why would a pledge to do better play any role whatsoever in a news outlet’s decision to grant anonymity? Is CNN going to assume parental duties for the Internet?

Though the anonymity-granting explanation is exotic and risible, it reflects a reality running across the mainstream media: We all too readily cave on the principle that people should be named in our news reporting. Here, the Erik Wemple Blog uses the first-person plural because we make this mistake all too often. And even as the media has continued granting sources and subjects their nameless footings, it has promulgated guidelines stressing the importance of explaining the reasons for the grant of anonymity. From that angle, CNN was complying with modern journo-standards.

But then it wrote that it had reserved the “right” to publish the Reddit fellow’s identity should his behavior “change.” “Blackmail,” screamed Twitter, and the blogosphere.

Julian Assange, too:

https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/882430554544713728

Threats have streamed into CNN and its staffers, some of them based on the idea that the Reddit user was a 15-year-old. CNN has corrected this mistaken impression. “CNN decided not to publish the name of the Reddit user out of concern for his safety. Any assertion that the network blackmailed or coerced him is false. The user, who is an adult male, not a 15-year-old boy, apologized and deleted his account before ever speaking with our reporter. CNN never made any deal, of any kind, with the user. In fact, CNN included its decision to withhold the user’s identity in an effort to be completely transparent that there was no deal.”

According to Kaczynski’s Twitter feed, “Han” called him to say, “I am in total agreement with your statement. I was not threatened in anyway.”

That’s an important point, although it bears mentioning that “Han” has every motivation not to rock the boat with CNN. In the meantime, a strange bit of text remains unmolested on the story: “CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.” Does that line square with CNN’s editorial guidelines? Does the monitoring of a subject’s conduct fall outside the proper mission of CNN? And if so, why isn’t CNN enforcing standards this week as dutifully as it enforced them last week?

We asked the network about this matter on Wednesday night. The response: “It may be clumsily worded but it doesn’t violate any standards,” said a network rep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...at-happened-to-those-all-important-standards/

Last edited:
CNN analyst Ana Navarro tweets doctored pic of LeBron James hating on President Trump
Sept 28, 2017

lebronfake.jpg

CNN analyst Ana Navarro tweeted and then deleted a fake image of NBA star LeBron James wearing a shirt with the middle finger on it that referred to President Trump as a “son of a b---h” on Wednesday.

“Freedom of expression Makes America Great. Whether u approve or not, we're free to wear this. Could get u jailed or killed in some place,” Navarro wrote as the caption to her tweet that accompanied a fake photo of James wearing the anti-Trump shirt.

Navarro’s attempt at humor is presumably a reference to Trump’s recent comments about professional football players who do not stand for the national anthem, as he sparked a national conversation when using the same derogatory phrase when describing players who don’t respect the flag.

The Daily Callertracked down the actual photo, in which James is wearing a shirt featuring WWE’s The Undertaker – proving that Navarro was fooled by a photoshopped image. Or, as Trump would probably say, a CNN analyst attempted to spread “fake news.”

Navarro portrays herself as a Republican on the liberal network, but she’s not exactly a member of the GOP who supports the president. She has called him “Draft-Dodger-In-Chief,” “President Loco” and accused him of “dividing Americans” all within the past three days and has been among the most outspoken Trump critics on a network filled with Trump critics.

She deleted the tweet after it had been shared and liked over 6,000 times and followed up with an apology.

Meanwhile, the White House noticed her gaffe. Trump assistant and Director of Social Media Daniel Scavino took to Twitter to ask CNN’s senior media correspondent Brian Stelter if he would point out the ‘disgraceful fake photoshopped tweet directed" at the president. He also managed to find the real version of the photo as tweeted by the NBA’s official Twitter account back in June 2016.

Stelter responded to Scavino, noting that Navarro deleted it and apologized before mocking the White House staffer. The “Reliable Sources” host asked, “You work at the W.H., paid by taxpayers -- should this really be one of your top priorities?”

CNN did not immediately respond when asked if Navarro would be disciplined.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...octored-pic-lebron-james-hating-on-trump.html

Last edited:
"Now, we've been saying it since '08, journalism in America is dead. But what is happening now is far worse, more destructive. more than anything we could have imagined. This is now outright propaganda every day.

For example on Friday, fake news CNN, they go wall-to-wall, breathless reporting on the story, it turns out to be a big fat lie. Now, the Clinton News Network falsely claimed that Donald Trump Jr. received an email on September the 4, 2016 that gave him special access to hack DNC emails that were later released by WikiLeaks. Unfortunately, the report, as usual completely wrong.

Here's the truth. The email that was sent to Donald Trump Jr. was actually dated September 14, not fourth, 2016, which is the day after Wikileaks put out the DNC documents. Now, fake news CNN, they hyped the story as the big smoking gun about Trump and Russia collusion and claimed they had not one but two sources verifying this false claim. Take a look at CNN's original fake news reporting."

Back