Predictions for the next rounds of the WBSS tourneys

ironfist05

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
BW:
Inoue beats Rodriguez, but it's his hardest fight yet. Inoue will definitely be winning the fight but he'll have moments where he is outboxed and caught. Rodriguez's lackluster power keeps him from getting the kill shot and eventually Inoue breaks him down in the last 4 to a TKO.

Tete fights conservatively against Donaire and uses his reach to win a boring UD decision. Probably catches Nonito with something for a KD.

JWW:
Taylor beats up Baranchyk bad. Baranchyk gets lit up and won't have the size advantage he's used to to compensate. Taylor TKO mid-rounds from accumulated damage.

Prograis beats Relikh in a fight that's exciting and, while clearly in Prograis' favor, has moments of Relikh doing well. Prograis' superior power and punch diversity sees him break down Relikh, whose high volume attack definitely makes Prograis work but won't be sufficient as he follows Regis around and gets countered to a KO in the last 4.

CW:
I had Briedis the favorite coming into this tournament, but rumor is he's essentially stopped taking training seriously and he's looked bad lately. Glowacki counters Briedis and keeps him off rythm to a UD.

Dorticos beats Tabiti by last four rounds KO. His accumulated volume and power wears Tabiti down and hits Tabiti from range. Tabiti will try walking him down and will have success when he asserts himself first, but overall Dorticos will time him and KO him late.

I think Tete will make Donaire quit. Burnett is not a big puncher but I didn't like how Donaire reacted when he got hit clean. Not that he was hurt but he was he had the look of a guy that didn't want any of it. Granted that he fought back and did it well but that was my impression. I might see Dorticos stopping him sooner if he comes out firing bombs out of the gate but other than that, I agree with everything you said.

Very disappointed with Breidis. He lost the fight against Gevor clearly and looked bad in doing so. Granted that Gevor didn't look like a world-beater either and we had two guys reluctant to do anything at all worthwhile on the inside but that's on Breidis as shorter fighter troubled by the jab. Held him in high regard before this, now I think Glowacki clubbers him. He won't stop him because he lacks the punch and Breidis knows how to step in and tie up but Glowacki is a aggressive and throws with volume and it doesn't seem like you need much more than that to beat Breidis.

I think Tete will make Donaire quit. Burnett is not a big puncher but I didn't like how Donaire reacted when he got hit clean. Not that he was hurt but he was he had the look of a guy that didn't want any of it. Granted that he fought back and did it well but that was my impression. I might see Dorticos stopping him sooner if he comes out firing bombs out of the gate but other than that, I agree with everything you said.

Very disappointed with Breidis. He lost the fight against Gevor clearly and looked bad in doing so. Granted that Gevor didn't look like a world-beater either and we had two guys reluctant to do anything at all worthwhile on the inside but that's on Breidis as shorter fighter troubled by the jab. Held him in high regard before this, now I think Glowacki clubbers him. He won't stop him because he lacks the punch and Breidis knows how to step in and tie up but Glowacki is a aggressive and throws with volume and it doesn't seem like you need much more than that to beat Breidis.

Briedis showed what he’s always been, bang average.

You might very well be right. Looked good against Usyk but styles makes fights and he looked bad against both Perez and especially Gevor (or whatever the man calls himself).

Inoue-Tete final, Prograis-Taylor final, and Dorticos-Glowacki final.

Tete/Inoue
Prograis/Taylor
Briedis/Tabiti

As long as Taylor/Prograis doesn't happen to be one of those awkward southpaw/southpaw matchups, it could be a classic.

Tete/Inoue
Prograis/Taylor
Briedis/Tabiti

As long as Taylor/Prograis doesn't happen to be one of those awkward southpaw/southpaw matchups, it could be a classic.
interesting. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the CW final. I have the total opposite. That's because I think Briedis has declined pretty visibly pretty quickly and because I'm not sold on Tabiti.

I think I'm more likely to be wrong on Tabiti/Dorticos than Briedis/Glowacki, because Tabiti does have speed and power and Dorticos isn't slick or particularly versatile offensively. Still, I feel pretty that Briedis loses to Glowacki if he looks like he did in his last few.

interesting. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the CW final. I have the total opposite. That's because I think Briedis has declined pretty visibly pretty quickly and because I'm not sold on Tabiti.

I think I'm more likely to be wrong on Tabiti/Dorticos than Briedis/Glowacki, because Tabiti does have speed and power and Dorticos isn't slick or particularly versatile offensively. Still, I feel pretty that Briedis loses to Glowacki if he looks like he did in his last few.

I'm banking on Briedis showing up in better form and spoiling his way to win, a la his fight against Perez. Dorticos is really, really basic. He hits hard, fights with a good volume, and can take punishment, but I think he can be outboxed. I don't have a ton of faith in Tabiti as anything special, but with the right gameplan I think he can clearly outbox Dorticos. Both fights are close calls that take a lot of guesswork, though, and I wouldn't be shocked to be wrong in both fights.

I'm banking on Briedis showing up in better form and spoiling his way to win, a la his fight against Perez. Dorticos is really, really basic. He hits hard, fights with a good volume, and can take punishment, but I think he can be outboxed. I don't have a ton of faith in Tabiti as anything special, but with the right gameplan I think he can clearly outbox Dorticos. Both fights are close calls that take a lot of guesswork, though, and I wouldn't be shocked to be wrong in both fights.
I was on the boxing subreddit and a couple guys basically said that Briedis isn't taking the sport seriously the way he used to after his loss to Usyk. It's just scuttle-butt, but if it's true, it means Briedis could just be done as a fighter. We'll see, if he shows up like he did vs Usyk or Huck, he's still an elite fighter. Otherwise, he's liable to lose to Glowacki, who isn't elite, but is a consistent fighter with some skills.

Back