Post-Buzzfeed, media does a 180 on "Fake News", say it's a dangerous term which can silence people

Now who's gonna call-out the ridiculousness of everything being labelled "white nationalist"? In my opinion it has nothing to do with skin color like the msm says.

Credible news sources report real news, but they also pick and choose what gets covered, so that people think that if it isn't covered, it never happened. I'm not saying the sources Trump accused as being fake are fake, they are just selective and obviously biased. If I am trying to market you a product, I will tell you everything good about it, and if there is a pending lawsuit, you will have to find that out yourself. "Credible" journalism is supposed to present a complete picture and they don't do that.

Now, they suddenly see it as a weapon of the 'conservative media machine'

yea look at these view bitches attack Kellyanne and how they're saying the right is saying news they don't like just fake news

Lmao did anyone check the comments section of this article? WaPo is getting rekt.

fake news began as a legitimate description for totally made up shit like:

obama's infamous "holiday trees" that made the rounds on social media. total bs, and shit like this undoubtedly impacts elections.
c.462.1-ct_holidaytrees.jpg

but then we just have bad news.....not fake news.....there is a difference. cnn, fox, and msnbc are all bad news. its legitimate news that is spun by pundits and opinion, but its based in some fact. kinda like movies that say "inspired by a true story" rather than saying its a "true story."

{<huh}

Just verify your fucking sources. Problem solved.

Also, way off topic, but I had a homeless man light fire to my apartment bldg Thursday night cause our landlord asked him to stop living on our stoop and make a mess for months.

My place is fine and fire was extinguished quickly, but no one can live there till the power is back on once the units are all up to fire code, which is cracking down after the ghost ship fire a few blocks down international.

Should I make a thread about this? Apologies, I'm busting ass working in my apt and I'm distracted.

MSM reporting will not last much longer.
In the past newspapers were important because they distributed information, now you can listen directly to the person on twitter.
If a president in 1860 wanted to say something he would need to get in contact with a reporter, and have him write down his speech and hope he doesn't edit it.
Then we got radio and tv, but a few people owned it and could choose what would be broadcasted.
Now with the internet anybody can say whatever they want and reach the entire world without having to pass through some reporter.

Investigative journalism alone isn't able to generate enough revenue, so the MSM needs to rely on tabloid bullshit and abandon "serious journalism".

MSM reporting will not last much longer.
In the past newspapers were important because they distributed information, now you can listen directly to the person on twitter.
If a president in 1860 wanted to say something he would need to get in contact with a reporter, and have him write down his speech and hope he doesn't edit it.
Then we got radio and tv, but a few people owned it and could choose what would be broadcasted.
Now with the internet anybody can say whatever they want and reach the entire world without having to pass through some reporter.

Investigative journalism alone isn't able to generate enough revenue, so the MSM needs to rely on tabloid bullshit and abandon "serious journalism".
Look how Twitter can even get a current POTUS triggered

It is, specifically because you tools started calling credible publications fake news rather than making a fair case. It's a great tactic. Now the investigation stops at fake news, and the heard can just block out information without any subtlety.
What's a credible publication? Name one because even the AP has been compromised.

The leftist MSM belive that Trump was elected by a bunch of young, white, Neo-Nazi's who hate the jewish media.

So their answer was to invent a hip new socially acceptable term of "Lügenpresse"? And they thought it wouldn't backfire?

Well, the term was used appropriately early on to identify a rather new phenomenon, and now it's being used inappropriately to shut out legitimate publications.

I don't think it's censorship to call out phony publications for what they are. I mean, do you think the people who identified these websites really had the foresight to see that "fake news" would become such a dangerous term?
They called it what it was.

Whats a " legit publication " and who decides what meets that threshold? Youve got this personal idea of what constitutes reality in your own mind ( like most people ) and you really REALLY wish everyone else could just get on board , and youd like the Ministry of truth , or whatever it may be to make sure that happens.....do you see the problem here?

Everyone understands what it is that is being described , its just that anyone that is capable of thinking beyond one or two steps understands what a dangerous can of worms youd be opening by throwing legistlation at it. Its up to the consumer to decide

That didn't last long. The term was born just after pizzagate broke.

The alt-left might have killed the comedy scene with their regressive sjw/pc thought police movement, but their literal implosion has made it worth it.

Well this is what happens when every idiot out there starts calling every article or outlet they don't like fake news.

t11.jpg

Yet youd put fallible people with agendas in charge of what is actual news and which is fake......gee what could go wrong , surely that power could never be weaponised. Your post sums up ( inadvertantly ) exactly why the war on fake news is dangerous as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet youd put fallible people with agendas in charge of what is actual news and which is fake......gee what could go wrong , surely that power could never be weaponised. Your post sums up ( inadvertantly ) exactly why the war on fake news is dangerous as hell.

No I would put facts in charge of what is and is not fake news.

Whats a " legit publication " and who decides what meets that threshold? Youve got this personal idea of what constitutes reality in your own mind ( like most people ) and you really REALLY wish everyone else could just get on board , and youd like the Ministry of truth , or whatever it may be to make sure that happens.....do you see the problem here?

Everyone understands what it is that is being described , its just that anyone that is capable of thinking beyond one or two steps understands what a dangerous can of worms youd be opening by throwing legistlation at it. Its up to the consumer to decide

Information falls on a spectrum of credibility. There's no hard and fast threshold. But CNN is well within the boundaries of credibility. (Spare me all y'all's infuriated responses to this bit, okay?)

But I'm not sure what you're getting at, though, because I don't support "throwing legislation" at fake news. That was never a position I showed support for in any of my posts on this forum.

Rather, I'd like dickheads like Trump to stop calling CNN and other publications fake news and instead start making reasonable critiques (which would be more effective). In Trump's case, though, that isn't possible. He called CNN fake news for reporting on a dossier that was bound to dominate headlines across the board. He's not making a reasonable critique and never intended to. He's using the term "fake news" to bully the press and silence voices that are critical of him. You see the problem here?

I'm not going to defend CNN against the incoming shitstorm because their lapses of judgement aren't relative to the point I'm making.

Back