Popping into range

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
Do you guys have any tips on drilling or using this more?

What i mean by ''popping'' in is explosively entering and exiting striking range.

This as opposed to wading your way into range. (i tend to do this with pawing jabs or just head movement. i lul people into the slow pace then explode with a off rhythm combo)

i had success with a 1pop-cross today (Explode in with the jab, exit on a 45, re enter with the cross from new angle) and would like to use more ''pops''

great in mma. dangerous in pure striking. it's too easy to jump into a punch. old school boxers hated it and called it lunging.

woodley has the best lunging right in mma, and catches people off balance because they don't expect him to cover so much ground with it.

great in mma. dangerous in pure striking. it's too easy to jump into a punch. old school boxers hated it and called it lunging.

Of course it would be dangerous but would that be the trade off?

My coach said he see my wading in and can catch me with teeps because of it but when i explode im quick enough to enter and exit cleanly. Would you say its one of the things frowned upon in striking that can work? Much like holding your hands low

We practice jab forward, jump back, go quickly forward with double jab cross in our gym. Not sure if that is what you ask.

Of course it would be dangerous but would that be the trade off?

My coach said he see my wading in and can catch me with teeps because of it but when i explode im quick enough to enter and exit cleanly. Would you say its one of the things frowned upon in striking that can work? Much like holding your hands low
ones of the things. it can work extremely well if you are reasonably fast and set it up properly. get it wrong against a good counter puncher and you will get slept.

ones of the things. it can work extremely well if you are reasonably fast and set it up properly. get it wrong against a good counter puncher and you will get slept.

I usually use it to set up counters eg. today in sparring i had a lot of success with pawing the jab to get them use to the slow paws then pop in with a jab and out 45 (the usual read is people either jabed themselves or threw a straight) and counter with a cross. even got them use to the paw, popped in with a cross, exit 45, counter rear uppercut- lead hook. you end up on a nice angle too. starting to use the liver kick more off of the 45 as well

I usually use it to set up counters eg. today in sparring i had a lot of success with pawing the jab to get them use to the slow paws then pop in with a jab and out 45 (the usual read is people either jabed themselves or threw a straight) and counter with a cross. even got them use to the paw, popped in with a cross, exit 45, counter rear uppercut- lead hook. you end up on a nice angle too. starting to use the liver kick more off of the 45 as well
sounds like the boxing is firing nicely. i am a big fan of stepping back at an angle, stepping straight back or to your left can be very dangerous.

sounds like the boxing is firing nicely. i am a big fan of stepping back at an angle, stepping straight back or to your left can be very dangerous.

Stepping straight back use to be a problem of mine people would catch me moving back all the time. Watched some Loma, drilled like a mofo, hit some pads and bam problem fixed and angles are now used in sparring

Back