Pokémon Discussion volume 9

Haven't booted up the DLC since they were supposed to be an Xmas gift for my kid. Probably have to break that now since he's burned out grinding looking for pokemon's that don't spawn and trying to get every single one he has to lvl 100. The OCD of this kid..

well.... ill say yes just because of the hours invested. but ill also so its pokemon
Nice. Still not sure if I'm willing to spend the 90 bucks plus actually buying a switch. I've read that the story and gameplay is kinda small and it doesn't sit well with me that they scrapped so many pokemon. Even with the DLC additions, there's still a bunch missing.

Hopefully a Diamond and Pearl remake will come out soon.

So this was the first week of playoffs after the 8 week season of my draft league. Finished the regular season in 5th with a 5-3 record, top 8 made it in to the post season. My Gmax Hatterene is leading the whole league in kills and on top of setting up Trick Room, it may be the league MVP.

I was happy just to make it to the playoffs. I've only lost to the top three players so far and my opponent this week was ranked #4 but only played one of the top three. His wins were so effortless throughout the season he never had to mix his team up, which meant he had a lot of potential surprises in store.

Game one
was a disaster, couldn't get Trick Room up and he just grinded me down. Game two was a little better and I was able to get the speed control, a misplay on his part let me survive for a third and final game. Game three was ugly yet beautiful, both of us took big chances and it looked like he wrapped the game up when shut down any hope for a Trick Room and was up 3-2. He ended up doubling up in to a protect and my Clawitzer evened up the score, then a couple Blizzard misses gave me the opening I needed to punch my ticket in to the semifinals where I'll rematch my week 1 opponent and the #1 seed.

Last edited:
Draft leagues are fucking awesome if you get a good group. It really rewards creativity and gives a place for the more obscure Pokemon to shine on the same stage as the meta monsters. Mine has been a real world league too with 9 countries represented in the 15 participants and 6 countries making it in to the final 8.

I chose a more methodical control based style to keep me from getting lost in the sauce, but every game I watch I seem to see some new strategy or surprising Pokemon. It's become really exciting to watch just as a spectator and makes me appreciate just how deep the mechanics and the designs can be.

I've wanted to dip my toes in to the format since I first saw it last year and I'm glad I finally got a chance. Feels a lot more sport based and rewards preparation, innovation, and improvisation while still retaining all that makes the base game great to play.

Collected these back in the late 90’s. Would love to find that binder and trade them in for magic cards...

To those who've played SWSH and both DLC's, was the content and gameplay worth paying 90 bucks for, as compared to the 40 bucks you had to pay previously?
That's a hard question to answer. The story is absolutely garbage, the second DLC gives a hint of a more interesting narrative but it's essentially a post game side quest.

The villain team segments of the past games are such a drag to me and always came off as filler, but they're bypassed in such an annoying way this game that it makes me miss them and feels too short.

In the end more Pokemon are available in the game than any generation before, so there's a lot to do even though you couldn't complete the Pokedex. Ranked game modes, frequent tournaments, and improved presentation make competitive a lot of fun. Which is especially nice considering they've made it a breeze to get competitive Pokemon by leveling to 100 in a minute, maxing IV's, changing natures and abilities, you're even able to change to hidden abilities now.

I play for the latter stuff so it's been worth my money. If you're hoping for it to be like HG/SS or B&W, you'll probably be disappointed. For a bare bones generation, it's done some things extremely well but it definitely lacks a lot.

Nice. Still not sure if I'm willing to spend the 90 bucks plus actually buying a switch. I've read that the story and gameplay is kinda small and it doesn't sit well with me that they scrapped so many pokemon. Even with the DLC additions, there's still a bunch missing.

Hopefully a Diamond and Pearl remake will come out soon.
I think it's missing a little over a hundred at this point. Maybe 200. It would be really hard to recommend a Switch for this game alone, but I will say the Switch has blown me away with its library and is easily my favorite system. Next year is the 25th anniversary of Pokemon so it's not unlikely we'll see a big release. There's a super solid base in Sword & Shield, the next games should be real classics.

I think it's missing a little over a hundred at this point. Maybe 200. It would be really hard to recommend a Switch for this game alone, but I will say the Switch has blown me away with its library and is easily my favorite system. Next year is the 25th anniversary of Pokemon so it's not unlikely we'll see a big release. There's a super solid base in Sword & Shield, the next games should be real classics.
I hope you're right! It's about time we really got another classic Pokemon game. Gen 6 and 7 were alright, but both felt a bit underwhelming in some respects. Too easy, not a lot of content/story. Very little exploration. The wild area seems like it has potential. I'd love for Pokemon to be semi open world someday. Where you can roam the whole region at your leisure and challenge gyms in any order (gym leaders have different teams based on how many badges you have).

As for the next games, if they build from SWSH and expand on it I suppose it can be good. I don't know exactly how much dev time was put in SWSH and how many people worked on it, as compared to the next games though. We'll just have to see. I hope they took the backlash seriously.

dude. i got a shiny 0 spd hatt with magic bounce if it would upgrade your hatt. it is gmax.
hatterene is a tank

dude. i got a shiny 0 spd hatt with magic bounce if it would upgrade your hatt. it is gmax.
hatterene is a tank
I might have to take you up on that. I've got it paired up with a Volcarona for offensive pressure and redirection, or a Liepard for priority Trick Room and to cripple attackers. The Cofagrigus has made for a great backup too and checks Hat's weaknesses well.

I did an interview since I played both finalists in my league. My only losses all season came to the other three players in the semifinals. It turned out pretty well I think, we're talking about doing a weekly show next season.

I did an interview since I played both finalists in my league. My only losses all season came to the other three players in the semifinals. It turned out pretty well I think, we're talking about doing a weekly show next season.

thats legit bro. i need to get good with battling i suck at comp

Just finished Crystal on 3DS VC. Can I get my Pokémon to Shield? Is it worth it/how much of a pain is it?

Just finished Crystal on 3DS VC. Can I get my Pokémon to Shield? Is it worth it/how much of a pain is it?
its easy, and most of the legedaries are catchable in sw sh. google the list to see if its worth it.

i think you would need to pay for bank and home. maybe there is still a free trial of bank (to transfer to home)

Hot damn, I got first pick in the draft league this season! Absolutely huge for me, I specialize in Trick Room and Glastrier will be a nightmare for people to deal with. And 2nd & 3rd picks are back to back so I can get a Trick Roomer and a Copycat Prankster/Follow Me redirection.

Back