Please critique my sparring video

DynamiteHands

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm the black guy in the red shorts/grey shirt. At my gym we are only allowed to go 75% as the goal is to learn not knock each other out. Please give me any advice you have. Please be honest

I've been boxing for 2 years so far, haven't had any fights yet only sparring

I'm the black guy in the red shorts/grey shirt. At my gym we are only allowed to go 75% as the goal is to learn not knock each other out. Please give me any advice you have. Please be honest

Don't be gun shy dude,the guys face was exposed for straight rights, let your hands go next time and since your the shorter guy it seems, move your head in the direction of your punches, kind of like Tyson

Don't be gun shy dude,the guys face was exposed for straight rights, let your hands go next time and since your the shorter guy it seems, move your head in the direction of your punches, kind of like Tyson
That's interesting that you mention Tyson because my trainers tell me I should study him

I like your use of faints to setup your shots. Keep that up. The main issue I see is backing out in a straight line after firing the right hand, youre kind of open in those moments. Use some head movement to get out after firing that right.

Keep your chin down and your wings in, you read someones punches when their elbow are out that far. I don't think you've been boxing for 2 years, you're much greener than that.

Keep your chin down and your wings in, you read someones punches when their elbow are out that far. I don't think you've been boxing for 2 years, you're much greener than that.
No i started August 2015, it's now August 2017. Maybe it's the gym. I started at a good gym but shitty instructor. Now I've been going to a better gym with a former world champion as one of our coaches. Been going there for a year

Hey bro,

Firstly what's your stats? height, weight?
Like you I'm also medium-short for my weight class (Cruiser Weight), you seem even shorter.
From looking at you I wouldn't suggest the Tyson approach, Peekaboo really only pays off if you have that one punch concussive power because the dips and bobs to pull that style off properly can be quite exhausting over a long period so unless you have real KO power the pay off for the clean shots won't be the same.
Firstly stop trying to box through the middle, your lacking height and reach, a good boxer is going to just jab you down the middle or just step back and catch you coming in.
There two things I would suggest you try depending on what would suit you and the way you box .........

A) If you prefer to box and counter watch Montell Griffin, he uses a right hand catch and gives you the shoulder and dips / leans back, this forces taller opponents to come down to you rather than you go up, when they do you can use the check hook or just dip then come up off your back leg and get your shots in.

B) For a more aggressive approach if your strong for your weight class I would suggest a Cross arm guard or Philly shell (This is what I use) a lot more economical than Peekaboo but allows you to avoid boxing down the middle, get on the inside then unload.
Use those guards to walk your opponent down, pressure them, then beat them down with hooks.
Cross Arm guard is easier to use, Philly shell's shoulder rolls take some practice and your less mobile.

Hey bro,

Firstly what's your stats? height, weight?
Like you I'm also medium-short for my weight class (Cruiser Weight), you seem even shorter.
From looking at you I wouldn't suggest the Tyson approach, Peekaboo really only pays off if you have that one punch concussive power because the dips and bobs to pull that style off properly can be quite exhausting over a long period so unless you have real KO power the pay off for the clean shots won't be the same.
Firstly stop trying to box through the middle, your lacking height and reach, a good boxer is going to just jab you down the middle or just step back and catch you coming in.
There two things I would suggest you try depending on what would suit you and the way you box .........

A) If you prefer to box and counter watch Montell Griffin, he uses a right hand catch and gives you the shoulder and dips / leans back, this forces taller opponents to come down to you rather than you go up, when they do you can use the check hook or just dip then come up off your back leg and get your shots in.

B) For a more aggressive approach if your strong for your weight class I would suggest a Cross arm guard or Philly shell (This is what I use) a lot more economical than Peekaboo but allows you to avoid boxing down the middle, get on the inside then unload.
Use those guards to walk your opponent down, pressure them, then beat them down with hooks.
Cross Arm guard is easier to use, Philly shell's shoulder rolls take some practice and your less mobile.
Very informative post. How long u been doing this? And I'm 5"7 175lbs and I'm very strong for my height as I am a former football player. I like the idea of being the aggressor so I will do some research on the philly shell . I've used it before and my coach says I look better using that than the traditional stance I don't know why I didn't listen for this sparring session. One more thing, i assumed the philly shell was for pure defense via Floyd mayweather. Do you know any fighters that are aggressive who use the philly shell. Also as far as power goes, my teammates all tell me I hit hard and strong but I just don't know how to use it smh

Last edited:

You actually have good power. Left foot stays flat would be my main critique

Rewatched. Your right is really good but double up on your jab before you throw it

Very informative post. How long u been doing this? And I'm 5"7 175lbs and I'm very strong for my height as I am a former football player. I like the idea of being the aggressor so I will do some research on the philly shell . I've used it before and my coach says I look better using that than the traditional stance I don't know why I didn't listen for this sparring session. One more thing, i assumed the philly shell was for pure defense via Floyd mayweather. Do you know any fighters that are aggressive who use the philly shell. Also as far as power goes, my teammates all tell me I hit hard and strong but I just don't know how to use it smh

Been boxing since 1997, had an amateur career, albeit a short one I was undefeated all TKO's so I'm a bit of a hitter myself.

James Tony uses it relatively aggressively but I still think he is too static for what your looking for.
What you want to try is walking your opponent down and every time he tries to throw punches or stand his ground do the shoulder roll, this not only makes you hard to hit but also allows you to pop up and clock your opponent if they don't show you the courtesy / respect of moving back.

Honestly though the Philly shell keeps you quite tight and as a MW you look mobile, you may want to take a look at Montell Griffin's stance as it allows for more mobility and you can attack more freely without opponents bombing shots over you which is what the Philly is for.

Me personally when I'm heavy I do the Cross Arm or when I'm sub 195lbs I use something similar to what Montell uses, Right hand catch while giving the left shoulder and crouching to bring them to me, then hard counters.
People find it difficult because they have to come over the top but get a hard counter back for their trouble.

Its whatever suits you.

In fact watch Montell Griffin vs James Tony, they had two fights using their respective styles, Montell actually won both, check it out.

I would use less movement to stay in the middle of the camera view. Or, you could do the same thing, but move the camera back. A third option, you could leave the camera where it is, do the same thing, but box further away.

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

One criticism is that you look pretty tense in there. Reminded me of Mosley in his fight with Mayweather: not too relaxed... and it came back to bite him in the ass in later rounds.

Maybe get a bit more loose. I think being that tense and herky jerky with your arms will exhaust you in later rounds.

Back