Picked up Last of Us on PS4 sale

I never understood it either. It’s a generic predictable zombie story with clunky shooting and half assed survival aspects. It’s not a very good game at all. Uncharted is much better and is naughty dogs best series.
Haven’t had much time to respond, busy weekend.

So far I’m about 3 hours in. As a fan of uncharted, LoU doesn’t play as smooth. I’ve had to button mash for things to work, headshot more than 3 times to drop an enemy, had the weapon change menu lock up on me to the point where I almost felt like resetting to the last point.

The environment is meh, the story is reused but again the acting is wonderful. However that doesn’t make for a good game.

So far I’m about 3 hours in. As a fan of uncharted, LoU doesn’t play as smooth. I’ve had to button mash for things to work, headshot more than 3 times to drop an enemy, had the weapon change menu lock up on me to the point where I almost felt like resetting to the last point.

The environment is meh, the story is reused but again the acting is wonderful. However that doesn’t make for a good game.
have you played Tomb Raider?

I finished it a couple of times over and it's a great game but I'd probably give it a 9/10. No way a 10.

Naughty dog can tell a story, that's their main strength. Gameplay is mediocre. It is a bit clunky but at least it isn't resident evil clunky. That series needs a fucking overhaul.
I think they're getting one. Oddly enough, the difference in voice acting and writing from the first game might alienate fans of the first game, if anything. But the technical improvements seem to definitely be there based on what we've seen so far.

UC4 was a HUGE technical improvement over TLOU1, which gives fans a lot of hope. TLOU2 should be a a substantial improvement over UC4 as well. If you had played the game when it originally came out, or at least closer to it, you'd probably appreciate it more.

I also bought it on sale after seeing the amazing footage for the sequel.

I am also disappointed. I'm halfway through, and its good. But not more than good, and I don't understand how some people praise it as a 'best ever'.

I also thought Uncharted was a bland series, so maybe naughty dog just isn't for me
I thought Uncharted was average but TLOU was brilliant

I think it was the story and characters that put this one over the top for people. I thought the gameplay itself was fine, but didn’t introduce anything truly new or groundbreaking. I like games that add a stealth element, so that’s what kept me interested.

Story in video games isn’t a selling point for me. This one was well-written, but after beating this game, I haven’t felt any desire to go back to it.

Its a solid game and a great story, but I dont think its as good as some people say it is. It was worth two playthroughs for me, but now I doubt I could go back to it.

I also bought it on sale after seeing the amazing footage for the sequel.

I am also disappointed. I'm halfway through, and its good. But not more than good, and I don't understand how some people praise it as a 'best ever'.

It honestly depends how you look at it. I think as a pure game, it falls a little short, because it is so linear and fairly limited in the gameplay department. A good chunk of it is a cinematic experience, and I can see some people docking it some points, simply due to the fact that you watch a good portion of it, instead of playing it. The gameplay, as I said, is linear and limited. At it core, it's a fairly simple. In comparison, I would give a game like MGSV higher marks in the gameplay department because it's so much more robust, and the possibilities are endless.

That said, what TLOU does, it does extremely well. It's got a good system of stealth and action gameplay, and the mechanics are all very tight and robust. The nature of the gameplay also changes depending on the difficulty setting, and at higher difficulties, plays like a true blue survival horror game, where you must consider each scenario very carefully. If you don't like that, well just play it as an action game on Normal. It's got a sweet spot for every type of gamer. Couple that with what most people believe is one of the best stories ever told in a videogame(albeit subjective), and it's a recipe for a true classic. On top of that, you get a pretty decent multiplayer mode as the icing on the cake.

So yeah, if you don't care for it, I'd think it's just not for you, because it's damn hard to criticize from an objective standpoint.

I got it on PS3 a little bit after release, just couldn't get into it. I hated the PS3 controller, so that never helped FPS/3rd person games. I'm also weary of games that get that 10/10 talk, hype usually makes me less interested, or extra critical. I eventually picked it up on the PS4, remastered edition. Maybe I was just in the mood for a post apocalypse setting, regardless, I finished it in only a few sittings, totally fucking up my sleep cycle lol. It took a couple of hours for me to really warm up to it, but I loved the hell of it. The world building/storytelling is aces!

I have no interest in the follow up right now. I hated that E3 trailer with the ugly lesbo kiss, it was so out of place. Even if that was a straight couple kissing, or two hot lesbians, it would still be out of place, which leads me to believe that this game has some agenda. It just felt like a cheap stunt. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually after release and love it too, though I'd rather play as Joel again. Ellie was a good character though.

It honestly depends how you look at it. I think as a pure game, it falls a little short, because it is so linear and fairly limited in the gameplay department. A good chunk of it is a cinematic experience, and I can see some people docking it some points, simply due to the fact that you watch a good portion of it, instead of playing it. The gameplay, as I said, is linear and limited. At it core, it's a fairly simple. In comparison, I would give a game like MGSV higher marks in the gameplay department because it's so much more robust, and the possibilities are endless.

That said, what TLOU does, it does extremely well. It's got a good system of stealth and action gameplay, and the mechanics are all very tight and robust. The nature of the gameplay also changes depending on the difficulty setting, and at higher difficulties, plays like a true blue survival horror game, where you must consider each scenario very carefully. If you don't like that, well just play it as an action game on Normal. It's got a sweet spot for every type of gamer. Couple that with what most people believe is one of the best stories ever told in a videogame(albeit subjective), and it's a recipe for a true classic. On top of that, you get a pretty decent multiplayer mode as the icing on the cake.

So yeah, if you don't care for it, I'd think it's just not for you, because it's damn hard to criticize from an objective standpoint.
Maybe I would've regarded it higher when it first came out. MGSV was exactly the game play comparison I was thinking, and MGSV gameplay wise is muuchhhhh better. But if anything, halfway through the game, I'd say the gameplay is still the strongest part. The story is super generic. Im a person who loves thematic games. I think Detroit is one of the best games of the ps4 gen and its all story.

Maybe this is just a case of the current console generation having games that surpassed TLOU, or maybe it is just me. Not sure.

Maybe I would've regarded it higher when it first came out. MGSV was exactly the game play comparison I was thinking, and MGSV gameplay wise is muuchhhhh better. But if anything, halfway through the game, I'd say the gameplay is still the strongest part. The story is super generic. Im a person who loves thematic games. I think Detroit is one of the best games of the ps4 gen and its all story.

Maybe this is just a case of the current console generation having games that surpassed TLOU, or maybe it is just me. Not sure.

I'd say with TLOU, the climax/ending is one of the most important aspects to the story, and really brings it all home. Without it, it is just your fairly standard post apocalyptic zombie story. I didn't think much of the story either, before I got to the latter half of the third act. You really grow attached to the characters, and when it ends, you start thinking back to how it was all built up, and you look back at the entire game with a fresh perspective and you appreciate the story as a whole a lot more.

I'd advise sticking with it. The story might bring you around to it by the end.

I'd say with TLOU, the climax/ending is one of the most important aspects to the story, and really brings it all home. Without it, it is just your fairly standard post apocalyptic zombie story. I didn't think much of the story either, before I got to the latter half of the third act. You really grow attached to the characters, and when it ends, you start thinking back to how it was all built up, and you look back at the entire game with a fresh perspective and you appreciate the story as a whole a lot more.

I'd advise sticking with it. The story might bring you around to it by the end.

Like I said I didn't get into TLOU at all, but I gotta admit they nailed the ending and it was only at that point did Joel become a character to me. Maybe I should replay it with that shit in mind someday

I got it on PS3 a little bit after release, just couldn't get into it. I hated the PS3 controller, so that never helped FPS/3rd person games. I'm also weary of games that get that 10/10 talk, hype usually makes me less interested, or extra critical. I eventually picked it up on the PS4, remastered edition. Maybe I was just in the mood for a post apocalypse setting, regardless, I finished it in only a few sittings, totally fucking up my sleep cycle lol. It took a couple of hours for me to really warm up to it, but I loved the hell of it. The world building/storytelling is aces!

I have no interest in the follow up right now. I hated that E3 trailer with the ugly lesbo kiss, it was so out of place. Even if that was a straight couple kissing, or two hot lesbians, it would still be out of place, which leads me to believe that this game has some agenda. It just felt like a cheap stunt. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually after release and love it too, though I'd rather play as Joel again. Ellie was a good character though.
This guy's one of the biggest and the best TLOU content creators out there and he has a similar take:

I bought it played it and enjoyed it a lot but was still surprised at how much praise it got. It's an 8 or 9/10 game for sure but to me it is kinda forgettable.

You sound like an incel.

Ellie being a lesbian was established in the DLC.

You sound like an incel.

Ellie being a lesbian was established in the DLC.
You sound like an idiot. I played the first one and loved it, and liked Ellie as a character, as stated. No shit she was a dyke, who cares.

Back