Peter Mcneeley rushing Tyson and going out on his shield is the most warrior shit I've ever seen in a boxing ring

Look where it got him. He thought he'd treat Mike like a cab driver only to get treated like one himself.

I like when Bryant Brannon rushed RJJ, the attitude of it was all enthusiastic and the playbook of a dedicated student and Roy easily dispatched him inside 2 and probably didn’t even get warmed up doing it.

I like when Bryant Brannon rushed RJJ, the attitude of it was all enthusiastic and the playbook of a dedicated student and Roy easily dispatched him inside 2 and probably didn’t even get warmed up doing it.
i looked it up and 30 seconds into the fight the commentators are bringing up mcneely vs tyson for a comparison. nice.

His corner threw in the towel too early, I think McNeely would've kept going until he got KO'd stiff. He was never a good boxer but you have to have big cojones to bullrush Mike friggin Tyson

he gave it his shot and moved Tyson back, it was a good opponent for a guy who hadn't had that in a few years. I still think Tyson looked physically amazing in his first few fights back, he was a bit slower though but still faster than 99 percent of the world's heavyweights. The fight was heavily criticized because people are just stupid. If that guy had gone out and did a kevin mcbride on Tyson people would be saying they should have chosen a better opponent. They brought Tyson along still too fast inspite of all the bullshit criticism about how he was beating bums. He was in no way ready for an Evander or a Lewis and putting them in with evander left him permanently shot. I still think there was a little window there for Mike to come back and achieve greatness like Ali did, a small window and it got shut.

Ali's comeback, often compared, was really nothing like tysons. Ali fought two very dangerous opponents before fighting the best thing going. He failed, it follows that Tyson would have some problems.

His corner threw in the towel too early, I think McNeely would've kept going until he got KO'd stiff. He was never a good boxer but you have to have big cojones to bullrush Mike friggin Tyson
They threw in the towel right when they needed to.

If that was championship material Tyson was up against, sure let the man fight it out. But sorry no one needs to remember a guy on the level of a McNeely being altered in the ring in a fight he had no chance of winning. The experience of an additional 15 seconds to box with Iron Mike wasnt worth the damage he was potentially gonna deal with the rest of his life if they let it go to a definitive end.

didn't have the chin, that was the major problem. I thought he had some ok skills for what he was. That was still back in the era where americans could not take white heavyweights seriously so they gave him pizza commercials and made fun of him. Poor guy has serious problems today.

They threw in the towel right when they needed to.

If that was championship material Tyson was up against, sure let the man fight it out. But sorry no one needs to remember a guy on the level of a McNeely being altered in the ring in a fight he had no chance of winning. The experience of an additional 15 seconds to box with Iron Mike wasnt worth the damage he was potentially gonna deal with the rest of his life if they let it go to a definitive end.
somehow he ended up in bad shape anyways. I don't think i know much about the rest of his career, I think I recall him getting kayoed on cbs with gil clancy commentating a couple years later.

it's crazy how roy could never be that cool and focussed under fire again after tarver, he'd actually shut his eyes like a little kid in the dark.

didn't have the chin, that was the major problem. I thought he had some ok skills for what he was. That was still back in the era where americans could not take white heavyweights seriously so they gave him pizza commercials and made fun of him. Poor guy has serious problems today.

I'm sure he was aware of being made fun of and likely didn't mind, especially as he got paid for those commercials. What are his problems today?

Most people I know remember the fight this way too, but it wasn't actually the towel that stopped the fight. McNeely was DQ'd because Vecchione stepped into the ring at 89 seconds. There is a very big likelihood that this was one of the more notable "fixed" fights that is hardly ever mentioned as a fixed fight because everyone knows Tyson would just wipe McNeely out regardless. There was apparently a very big bet placed on Tyson to stop McNeely within the first half of the first round (90 seconds) within 24 hours of fight time. The belief is that Vecchione convinced McNeely that bum rushing Tyson was his only chance and they prepared to do just that, with Vinnie thinking Mike could stop a rushing McNeely quick. When Peter got up and came back for more, Vinnie threw the towel and went into the ring so the fight would be stopped before the half-way point of the first. Charles Farrell talks about it in this article toward the bottom. Also, the article is just a great read for any boxing fan as its Farrell talking about how he personally fixed fights.

Seriously he rushed Tyson like Mike was a cab driver or something. Absolutely no respect for a version of Mike who was still the most feared guy in boxing at the time. No fucks given, all heart and warrior spirit.

Oh can't forget Pete's pre fight speech either

Might want to watch Hagler vs Hearns

McNeely was there to get KOd

there are definetely people who scored it for Mcneely

7⁷
I'm sure he was aware of being made fun of and likely didn't mind, especially as he got paid for those commercials. What are his problems today?

Seriously he rushed Tyson like Mike was a cab driver or something. Absolutely no respect for a version of Mike who was still the most feared guy in boxing at the time. No fucks given, all heart and warrior spirit.

Oh can't forget Pete's pre fight speech either

Curly!!

giphy.webp

Back