Movies Pet Peeve: Trailers that give away the whole f------g movie

jeff7b9

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Half the trailers I see these days there is no point in even watching the movie because the entire plot including the outcomes of all the supposed suspense or pressure of the film is revealed in the trailer.

I haven't been keeping tabs, because generally it just puts me off from the film, but I found a few to support my claim.
I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced this phenomenon.

I don't know if the film industry is trying to cater to a dumbed down audience that they expect to forget the trailer which most folks these days watch, literally immediately before watching the film (on streaming services)

Exhibit A

Exhibit B:

Not movie, but shows like The curse of oak island ,mysteries at blind frog ranch, and gold rush white water tell you basicly everything that happens in the preview there is no point to watching them.

Thank you TS, that really grinds my gears.

I usually only watch 30 seconds of the trailer but my favorite trailers are just teaser trailers like this

I agree. I avoid watching them these days unless the length is under 1 minute.

Horror movies are notorious for this, alot even include the final scene/shot. Halloween Kills/Ends did this with their 5-7 extended trailers of full scenes and the fight scene from Ends.

Half the trailers I see these days there is no point in even watching the movie because the entire plot including the outcomes of all the supposed suspense or pressure of the film is revealed in the trailer.

I haven't been keeping tabs, because generally it just puts me off from the film, but I found a few to support my claim.
I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced this phenomenon.

I don't know if the film industry is trying to cater to a dumbed down audience that they expect to forget the trailer which most folks these days watch, literally immediately before watching the film (on streaming services)

Exhibit A

Exhibit B:

Or prologues in books, which usually spoil it atrociously.

Tbh Rebel Moon was awful they might ofchad choice

The trailer for Terminator Genisys ruined who the surprise villain was. That was the biggest one for me and completely unnecessary.

Thor Ragnarok ruined that The Hulk was in the movie, though maybe they needed it for marketing purposes.

Thank you TS, that really grinds my gears.

I usually only watch 30 seconds of the trailer but my favorite trailers are just teaser trailers like this

I have begun stopping them.

Trailers serve a purpose and I like getting a chance to check the flavor of the film.
Is it dark?
Intense?
Is the music something that compliments my mood/taste?

If I enjoy the first 30 seconds or so I usually cut it there.

if you think in terms of the 3 Act story structure

Don't show me any direct conflict resolutions or outcomes.

Skip the confrontation or choose a camera angle that doesn't give away plot.

Be smart about it.
<Y2JSmirk>

This kind of thing annoyed me until I read of research that showed empirically, that knowing the ending didn't spoil people's enjoyment of a thing.

It's just you think it does.

I'm not a fucking scientist, but saying "empirically" sounds like a load of bullshit.
Yeah, sounds sus. Means not made up, or observed. Not just logically proven or the like.

The second I know I want to watch the movie I stop the trailer. If I know I want to watch the movie I never watch the trailer, all you're going to see are spoilers.

I prefer it to trailers that aren't real trailers like all these unoffical Squid Game 2 ones that are being put out.

I hate it when they show what's coming up at the beginning of a tv show. I don't wanna know what's coming up, i want to be surprized!

Back