Permanent strength?

It makes sense to me: a high training frequency leads to strength adaptations (neurological) that you don't get from low frequency training, so it has adaptations to lose when you stop training that low frequency doesn't.
So the skill portion of the lift.
That would assume higher frequency of the same exercise.

So the skill portion of the lift.
That would assume higher frequency of the same exercise.

Not just the skill training for a specific lift, but neurological efficiency in general. You can build this adaptation with heavy weights (which is what the low-frequency group relies on), but you can also build it with constant exposure to the loads (the high-frequency group). So yeah, it makes sense to me that if your adaptations relied on a higher training frequency, you would feel the effects of not training more powerfully than someone who trained infrequently.

There's the neurological efficiency of the exercise pattern, which is particular to the exercise, and there's the removal of protective neural-inhibitions from your CNS (which lets you more fully express your strength altogether, across all physical activity).

Maybe this is over my head but it sounds like you're saying something different now.
"a high training frequency leads to strength adaptations (neurological) that you don't get from low frequency training"
"You can build this adaptation with heavy weights (which is what the low-frequency group relies on), but you can also build it with constant exposure to the loads (the high-frequency group)"

Maybe your baseline strength decreases slower than your muscle endurance.

Maybe this is over my head but it sounds like you're saying something different now.
"a high training frequency leads to strength adaptations (neurological) that you don't get from low frequency training"
"You can build this adaptation with heavy weights (which is what the low-frequency group relies on), but you can also build it with constant exposure to the loads (the high-frequency group)"

Yeah, I'm not an expert on this so I'm fumbling over my words. Let me try again.

The low frequency group builds neural efficiency (overcoming their neural inhibitions) in one way: lifting heavy weights. The high frequency group builds it in two ways: with heavy weights and by high frequency. It make sense to me that the adaptions related to frequency disappear when the frequency disappears, but the adaptations that never relied on frequency disappear more slowly.

Maybe your baseline strength decreases slower than your muscle endurance.

This is definitely true in my experience. Conditioning disappears the moment I stop training it.

Literally everyone in this Thread is stronger than me. And I fucking hate every last one of you:mad::)

I've finally been given the all clear to return to lifting by my Oncologist. Although he made it very clear I should train as lightly as possible at first and build up slowly. I'm inclined to follow his advice, since he told me, in graphic detail, what would happen if I didn't follow his advice.<Eek2.0>

I haven't trained in eight months. That's any kind of training. My only exercise has been walking. Any muscle I built up has long since atrophied. So I'm thinking of running a modified version of Starting Strength. Modified because I can't use a straight bar for bench or squats, and I don't want to risk deadlifts even with girly-man weights. So probably something like this:

Swiss Bar Bench: 3 X 5

SS Bar Squats: 3 X 5

Rack Pulls or Bent Over Rows: 3 X 5

Last edited:
I'd say my base strength is probably still around 90%+ without going heavy for several months. I tweaked my back a little bit a few months ago. I started a program very light where I'm lifting beltless only. I dropped the weights significantly and was working as low as 50% of my 1RM. I finally hit my breaking point on squats where I feel I need to belt up at 395 lbs. On deadlifts, I'm feeling comfortable beltless still at around 435 lbs. I'd be surprised if I couldn't hit something at 90%.

Literally everyone in this Thread is stronger than me. And I fucking hate every last one of you:mad::)

I've finally been given the all clear to return to lifting by my Oncologist. Although he made it very clear I should train as lightly as possible at first and build up slowly. I'm inclined to follow his advice, since he told me, in graphic detail, what would happen if I didn't follow his advice.<Eek2.0>

I haven't trained in eight months. That's any kind of training. My only exercise has been walking. Any muscle I built up has long since atrophied. So I'm thinking of running a modified version of Starting Strength. Modified because I can't use a straight bar for bench or squats, and I don't want to risk deadlifts even with girly-man weights. So probably something like this:

Swiss Bar Bench: 3 X 5

SS Bar Squats: 3 X 5

Rack Pulls or Bent Over Rows: 3 X 5

Check out Aleks Salkins 9 Minute Challenge as your warm-up. I think you're going to have a lot of uncooperative, uncoordinated, overprotective brain signals that will no longer let you express the strength you still have left. I'm speaking from experience, it (and Original Strength in general) did a great job of sorting me out and directly contributed to me being stronger than ever afteri was in a similar situation.

Check out Aleks Salkins 9 Minute Challenge as your warm-up. I think you're going to have a lot of uncooperative, uncoordinated, overprotective brain signals that will no longer let you express the strength you still have left. I'm speaking from experience, it (and Original Strength in general) did a great job of sorting me out and directly contributed to me being stronger than ever afteri was in a similar situation.

Thanks. I'll add it to the list.

Hopping back into Sheiko as I've grown bored of kettlebells/clubs/maces. I did a SBD day to kinda see where I was at because I haven't touched heavy-ish weights in a while. Still benching over 3 plates, squatting over 4, and deadlifting over 5 plates, several reps each. Do you eventually reach a certain point where you don't get weaker to a certain degree? I'm still fat, this could be helping with the lifting.
Those are savage numbers, king. Respect.

Back