Pereira's Itinerary (if I were his Manager)

I don't think his chin is good enough to do half this list. He's been wobbled in most of his fights. I like Alex a lot but he's gotten very lucky with matchups. He's been given more opportunity without having to earn it even more than Conor.

I'm betting Hill beats him and makes it look easy.
Jamahal hill is getting very overrated i find.

Potan needs to fight Hill next. That’s the fight LHW needs

Potan needs to fight Hill next. That’s the fight LHW needs

Agree.

Pereira's trainer, Glover Teixeira, embarrassed Jan Błachowicz.
Teixeira then lost to Jiri Procházka; while Pereira just beat Procházka.

Jiri relinquished the Championship, and Pereira rightfully beat Procházka to return this distinction.

As a side note, during Jiri's gratuitous relinquishing, Hill then also fought Teixeira and beat him.
We agree, Pereira needs to beat Hill for closure on this second level, but Hill isn't (and wasn't) actually "the real" LHW Champion.
Hill was another anything but a filler ...

Even if we wish to give Hill any sort of legitimacy, he is currently injured.

Even further down the totem pole, Ankalaev only had a draw with Jan Błachowicz, whom Teixeira beat, and whom Pereira also beat.
Therefore, Ankalaev isn't even a viable discussion at this time, as a Champion contender, but people like to put him there.

For full closure, you will recall that Alex Pereira just called out Jamahal Hill, to gain said closure as relayed above.
However, again, Hill is injured.

Therefore, the next-closest "challenge" for Pereira would be Ankalaev.
After beating Ankalaev, Hill should be ready, and once Alex beat Jamahal as well, there will be NO QUESTION as to who the rightful LHW Champ is.

Naw 301 in Brazil he’ll either fight Ankalaev or Hill if he’s ready, than after that fight the other one, by that time if Izzy is the MW champion have their trilogy, than move up to HW.

Jamahal hill is getting very overrated i find.
He dominated Glover who went toe to toe with a stud like Jiri and was 14 seconds from winning. He also did it on the ground and on the feet. I've never seen Glover got dominated on the ground so that was pretty special. Considering Alex's ground game is nowhere near as good as Glover, as long as Hill fight smarts, I can't see Alex dealing with the ground.

Hill doesn't strike me as anything super special but he's very well rounded.

He dominated Glover who went toe to toe with a stud like Jiri and was 14 seconds from winning. He also did it on the ground and on the feet. I've never seen Glover got dominated on the ground so that was pretty special. Considering Alex's ground game is nowhere near as good as Glover, as long as Hill fight smarts, I can't see Alex dealing with the ground.

Hill doesn't strike me as anything super special but he's very well rounded.

Another narrative is that Glover is getting old, and fighters can age overnight.

Hill couldn't finish the most aged Glover the world has ever seen.

So it all depends on what we we're actually watching, a mature Hill putting on a clinic, or an aged Teixeira that Hill couldn't finish.

Last edited:
With Pereira's size, and his ability to fight at the Championship level in two divisions — but also faced with the oncoming reality of his aging — this is how I would manage him were I his manager:
  1. Drop-down to 185, and annihilate Dricus Du Dlessis to regain the MW crown, for USC 300, then move back up;
  2. Schedule a fight three months later to face Ankalaev at LHW, annihilating his legs early, recovering from the ground attacks, and keeping the dude on the outside — reinforcing yourself as the undisputed LHW Champion by KOing Magomed in the later rounds;
  3. Face Jamahal Hill three months later, school his ass, finishing him in the later rounds, leaving no doubt who the LHW Champion is;
  4. Then challenge Israel Adesanya to a rubber-match @ LHW, giving Izzy the opportunity for a second title, and Alex the opportunity to erase all doubt;
  5. After KOing Izzy, for the third time, and beating him 4-1 overall, then challenge Khamzat Chimaev (if the Chechen still has a winning record in 1.5 - 2 years from now);
  6. After flatlining the tiring, tiny Chechen, Pereira should then move-up and challenge the current Heavyweight Champion, which fight he would likely lose, to be real, but it would be spectacular if he won. Dubious about this last one; however, all of the above fights are winnable.
Thoughts?
While I think it is possible for Pereira to come back down(I wouldn't advise it at this point of his career), doing it by UFC 300 doesn't seem quite possible.
The card is already less then three months away and Pereira has put on/maintained some extra weight for his LHW frame, making that weight in those circumstances would be insane.

I never want him at 185 again. He already beat the second greatest in the division and he's too old for the weight cut, it weakens his chin as we saw vs Izzy.

Pereira's best performance was against Izzy the last time, even though he lost.

Totally disagree; he would absolutely murder DDP in the same condition.

Another narrative is that Glover is getting old, and fighters can age overnight.

Hill couldn't finish the most aged Glover the world has ever seen.

So it all depends on what we we're actually watching, a mature Hill putting on a clinic, or an aged Teixeira that Hill couldn't finish.
I don't find it as much of a narrative as it is a reality. If your best win is 42 year old Glover Texeira you aren't shit. Already read too much garbage about how good Covington allegedly was because he dominated some washed up fighters. Jamahal's next best win is no-knees Thiago Santos, who he lost rounds to. This is MMA, if you want a reputation you gotta do something worthwhile.

Pereira's best performance was against Izzy the last time, even though he lost.

Totally disagree; he would absolutely murder DDP in the same condition.
I agree he looked great against Izzy until he got sloppy looking for the finish, and I agree he would murder DDP, I just think it's bad for his overall health at his age to cut weight down to 185. It doesn't even take a knockout, you can stay conscious and be concussed.

Not a bad plan, but I'm not sure if he even makes it past step 1. Alex is much better staying at 205 -- his chin and physical strength seem much worse at MW.

With Pereira's size, and his ability to fight at the Championship level in two divisions — but also faced with the oncoming reality of his aging — this is how I would manage him were I his manager:
  1. Drop-down to 185, and annihilate Dricus Du Dlessis to regain the MW crown, for USC 300, then move back up;
  2. Schedule a fight three months later to face Ankalaev at LHW, annihilating his legs early, recovering from the ground attacks, and keeping the dude on the outside — reinforcing yourself as the undisputed LHW Champion by KOing Magomed in the later rounds;
  3. Face Jamahal Hill three months later, school his ass, finishing him in the later rounds, leaving no doubt who the LHW Champion is;
  4. Then challenge Israel Adesanya to a rubber-match @ LHW, giving Izzy the opportunity for a second title, and Alex the opportunity to erase all doubt;
  5. After KOing Izzy, for the third time, and beating him 4-1 overall, then challenge Khamzat Chimaev (if the Chechen still has a winning record in 1.5 - 2 years from now);
  6. After flatlining the tiring, tiny Chechen, Pereira should then move-up and challenge the current Heavyweight Champion, which fight he would likely lose, to be real, but it would be spectacular if he won. Dubious about this last one; however, all of the above fights are winnable.
Thoughts?
He doesn't have that left in the tank, the guy is not new to fight game. His body, mind is battle worn. He sadly hasn't got much time.

First move, avoid all wrestlers! I personally thought he lost to Jan, I feel like he’s gonna be one of those guys who struggles to string wins together due to his ground game.

Back