People overrating how well Conor did in the stand up in the third

OriginMMA

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Came across this video and even though I don't agree with 100% of what I saw he brought up something that Ive been saying for awhile.

Timestamped (you can watch the whole video if you want but I timestamped specifically the third round)

He was mostly hitting air and arm but the commentators/crowd like they always do make a oooo sound every time Conor wiffs and then doesn't credit Khabib when he lands.

43107758_2212222259015131_6251029531672155507_n.jpg

Came across this video and even though I don't agree with 100% of what I saw he brought up something that Ive been saying for awhile.

Timestamped (you can watch the whole video if you want but I timestamped specifically the third round)

He was mostly hitting air and arm but the commentators/crowd like they always do make a oooo sound every time Conor wiffs and then doesn't credit Khabib when he lands.

Look at the fightmetric stats, Conor objectively won that round.

Khabib took a round off to conserve energy, I thought it was obvious.

Third round was close. Personally, I think Khabib was coasting a bit and Conor edged it out but nothing substantial really happened that round. Khabib was preparing for the kill. Conor was trying to catch a second wind.

Didn't say he didn't, but to say he was wrecking Khabib in the stand up is a huge reach. I scored the third for Conor as well due to actually trying and Khabib not really doing much, but he wasn't "losing" the stand up exchanges.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if fightmetric included all them arm punches.

Most people think he eked out a very close round. Barely won.

A few think he lost. But those few seem to have a bias.

The supposed best wrestler pretty much held his own striking against the supposed best striker. That isn’t “overrating” how Conor did that round. It’s closer to downright embarrassing.

Lol at the texts through out that clip. Doesn't seem biased at all.

And shit I wouldn't be surprised if fightmetric included all them arm punches.
I’m sure they did.
Didn't say he didn't, but to say he was wrecking Khabib in the stand up is a huge reach.
Yes. Anyone saying that should be ignored, not countered with reasonable arguments. Because they’re either trolls or idiots or both.

Looks like Khabib outstruck him and made him hit nothing but air. wow!

Conor won 3 rounds against Mayweather... Doesn't mean he was doing well.
There is winning rounds and then there is winning rounds.

It was the most competitive round but Conor was pretty damn tired at that point. He didn't do as good as others want you to think he did.

No matter what anyone thinks, it’s the closest anybody has come to beating Khabib in a round. That says something about just how good Khabib is.

Khabib took the round off. Clearly he did not attempt a take down.

Conor had a whole round to light him up and did fuck all. Khabibs inactivity in round 3 is what gave Conor the round, Hell, even Michael Johnson did better standing against Khabib

One landed 34 sig strikes and the other landed 15 sig strikes in a round that was all standup, do the maths on who won

Khabib took the round off. Clearly he did not attempt a take down.
So Khabib willingly lost his 1st round ever to a man he despises? makes total sense lol and Conor stuffed around 4 takedown attempts. Conor got his ass kicked, but some people are just mad that Conor had a little success and that the fight wasnt a mauling liked they hoped it would be

It's a common phenomenon. If someone is getting smashed and then all of a sudden evens things out for a bit, pepole feel like the latter fighter is winning. It's just the contrast that throws people off. It was a close round.

I think it was about even striking, Conor had more output, but Khabib with the cleaner harder shots. While being the aggressor in the second half of the round.

Besides that, Conor made 3 different fouls. A kick to the groin which was credited by Cruz as a teep to the body. An elbow to the back of the head and holding gloves for over a minute of the round which Herb warned Khabib to work (WTF?).

Apparently, Herb told Khabib after the 2nd warning he'd take a point. Khabib asked why Herb wasnt doing anything and Anik started to comment on it. Joe or Cruz cut Anik off mid sentence and changed the subject (right after the round ended).

Back