People carrying and losing large amounts of cash.

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
There have been several incidents lately of people losing track of large amounts of cash. A couple in Ohio leaving $97,000 with a clothing donation to Goodwill.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...00-k-accidentally-donated-goodwill/410750001/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...00-k-accidentally-donated-goodwill/410750001/
A Wisconsin man left $29,000 in cash in an envelope in a shopping cart in a parking lot.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ds-29-000-cash-menards-parking-lot/411463001/
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ds-29-000-cash-menards-parking-lot/411463001/
I don't know why people carry large amounts of cash. I've seen the shows where people go to buy a car and take cash as an incentive but there have been people robbed while doing that.

The couple who left the $97,000 said they were switching banks. I've switched banks in the past and I just got a cashiers check from the bank I was leaving and deposited it in the new bank. I've added an account at another bank when the amount I had exceeded the amount covered by the FDIC at the first bank by just writing a check.

The second one said he had cash to pay some bills.

Most places don't want to take cash because of all the counterfeit money and the temptation for employees. Most car dealers would rather take a check because they have insurance to cover a bad check. Businesses are required to report cash transactions over $10,000 which means more paperwork.

Cash is often used for transactions that people want to keep secret. Banks have to report cash transactions of $10,000 or more or a total of $10,000 deposited or withdrawn in a year. They also have to report suspicious transactions of $5,000 or more by people who don't normally use cash.

I usually keep a couple hundred cash in my wallet. I pretty much stopped paying cash years ago. I can't imagine carrying cash in a bag or an envelope. These two cases were lucky the people who found it reported it. They could easily have just taken the money.

No cash crew checking in. It would be crazy to lose that amount of money!!

I rarely keep more than $100 on me (only use it if a place doesn't take cash). I use credit card for like 99% of my purchases hence why i got dat 800+ credit score.

The Ohio incident was local here. Idiots. I rarely have cash unless making a large purchase.

I pay my landlord in cash,thats the only time i ever have that kind of cash in one place.

There have been several incidents lately of people losing track of large amounts of cash. A couple in Ohio leaving $97,000 with a clothing donation to Goodwill.

A Wisconsin man left $29,000 in cash in an envelope in a shopping cart in a parking lot.

I don't know why people carry large amounts of cash. I've seen the shows where people go to buy a car and take cash as an incentive but there have been people robbed while doing that.

The couple who left the $97,000 said they were switching banks. I've switched banks in the past and I just got a cashiers check from the bank I was leaving and deposited it in the new bank. I've added an account at another bank when the amount I had exceeded the amount covered by the FDIC at the first bank by just writing a check.

The second one said he had cash to pay some bills.

Most places don't want to take cash because of all the counterfeit money and the temptation for employees. Most car dealers would rather take a check because they have insurance to cover a bad check. Businesses are required to report cash transactions over $10,000 which means more paperwork.

Cash is often used for transactions that people want to keep secret. Banks have to report cash transactions of $10,000 or more or a total of $10,000 deposited or withdrawn in a year. They also have to report suspicious transactions of $5,000 or more by people who don't normally use cash.

I usually keep a couple hundred cash in my wallet. I pretty much stopped paying cash years ago. I can't imagine carrying cash in a bag or an envelope. These two cases were lucky the people who found it reported it. They could easily have just taken the money.

Drugs

When I was in college my roommate did what is to this day the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
He cashed his student loan check, and kept the cash in an envelope, which he used as walking around money.
I came home a few days later and he'd turned the house upside down, was sitting forlorn, in a pile of chaos:
"Have you seen my envelope?"
He would have been happy to hear I'd STOLEN it and had been spending it.

He straight up lost over 3 grand.

When I was in college my roommate did what is to this day the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
He cashed his student loan check, and kept the cash in an envelope, which he used as walking around money.
I came home a few days later and he'd turned the house upside down, was sitting forlorn, in a pile of chaos:
"Have you seen my envelope?"
He would have been happy to hear I'd STOLEN it and had been spending it.

He straight up lost over 3 grand.

I have to think more people end up losing their money. There was one guy who carried his money in a zippered bank bag who lost it several times. He'd put it on the roof of his car when he unlocked the door then forget it.

I have to think more people end up losing their money. There was one guy who carried his money in a zippered bank bag who lost it several times. He'd put it on the roof of his car when he unlocked the door then forget it.
Having seen it happen, I can't have sympathy for someone who does it more than once!

There's currently $520 in my wallet. Just try to take it.

giphy.gif

Most cash ive had was 13k after i sold my car and i drove it straight to the bank

I rarely ever carry too much cash around. I recently had a cashiers check with ~$100k on it though, but it went with me straight home in the safe and then with us the next day to the title company when we were signing closing papers for our new home. I've been with friends that carry 5 figure wads in Vegas while I have couple hundred dollars at most. I'll stick to the $5-10 blackjack and pai gow tables, lol...

Back