Peek-A-Boo style for taller fighter

UnderRatedGroundGame

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently looking a revaluating my fighting style. My style currently relies on pressure and then countering off of their reactions using pulls and slips. Trouble is that I have kind of neglected my blocking defense and it leaves my chin open, as I found out last week.

So I am looking to add in some blocking and parrying defense into my game. I've been researching different fighters and defensive styles to make my decision. Obviously looked at mayweather but the phily shell isn't really affective in a self defense situation (which is important to me). I then researched the peek a boo style. It was obviously designed for shorter fighters but I am wondering if it would work for the taller person, like myself I am 6ft 4.

If someone has experience, advice or knows of any boxers that are taller and use the style please let me know.

Well technically the only fighters that use the Peek-A-Boo style are Cus D'amato fighters like Mike Tyson, Floyd Patterson and Jose Torres. I don't think anybody else uses this style or understands it apart from the creator Cus D'Amato himself.

Could a tall fighter use it? Probably, but I think you'd be going against your body type. The point of the peek-a-boo style is to use slips, weaves and bobs to close the distance, create openings, counter and hit combinations. Its much easier to do this as a shorter fighter and advantageous to stay inside where the taller fighter can't generate power due to his long arms. So basically you're going to train yourself to go in close quarters where you are at a disadvantage... not smart.

On the other hand, if you're strictly talking about a defensive style where you keep the hands up high, or as we call it the "high guard", "ear muff", take a look at Winky Wright, Arthur Abraham, Joshua Clottey and Marlon Starling for some ideas.

Seems like a sound, upright stance like some of the Eastern bloc fighters would work. It depends on your fight personality. You can pressure a guy and still keep him at the end of your punches. Sergey Kovalev is a good example of this. He also uses his feet to get in and out of position for defense and attack. No reason you can't keep a bladed stance, tucked your chin behind you lead shoulder and keep your rear glove up. Move those feet since they can keep a guy from building momentum off a punch of stringing together a combo. When you pull him out of position with your feet, the counters are there.

If the peek a book is something that works for you, go for it, but chances are you might be better off fight with better footwork, and a traditional boxer's stance. That will keep you poised and able to counter.

The D'Amato peekaboo style isn't something someone should do if they are tall. If it's just a high guard style there are some allthough it's still arguable if it's ideal.
DMitry Kudryashov doesn't have great defence so he isn't the best example but he is on the taller side for his weight and fights with a high guard. Murat Gassiev is another one allthough more like average height.
Anthony Joshua? He fights a bit with a high guard.

Hi all, I'm currently looking a revaluating my fighting style. My style currently relies on pressure and then countering off of their reactions using pulls and slips. Trouble is that I have kind of neglected my blocking defense and it leaves my chin open, as I found out last week.

So I am looking to add in some blocking and parrying defense into my game. I've been researching different fighters and defensive styles to make my decision. Obviously looked at mayweather but the phily shell isn't really affective in a self defense situation (which is important to me). I then researched the peek a boo style. It was obviously designed for shorter fighters but I am wondering if it would work for the taller person, like myself I am 6ft 4.

If someone has experience, advice or knows of any boxers that are taller and use the style please let me know.

Boxing or Kickboxing? In terms of boxers who use a high guard really effectively, you could go watch a bunch of Winky Wright fights. He mostly relied on the high guard and rarely got hit. For kickboxing, Nieky Holzken is the king of walking forward behind a high guard and blasting people with trigger counters.

I'll add that I think there's a bit of a contradiction in your first post, because you're combing the idea of using high guard and parries with peekaboo. Peekaboo is mostly about slipping, bobbing, and weaving proactively rather than using a lot of parries or straight blocks. It would be an odd style for a taller guy to utilize, as it's designed more as a way for powerful, shorter fighters to safely close the distance and do work inside.

If you're 6ft4 stay away from the peek a boo style. I would look into the shoulder roll(Floyd) or just keep your damn hands up. Im assuming your reach is good too so stick to the basics..use the jab to keep distance.

Back