PC vs Console

Not at all and I hope it is true. That is actually a massive jump in power that will blow the PS4 pro away.

Yep there only problem now is they have no games for the console. Hoping devs use all that power is slim to none because they will focus on the lowest console which is the X1.

Which is why exclusives really matter here to show off the power but unfortunately X1 just doesn't have much of anything releasing.

I like playing AAA games on console and turnbased RPGs on PC.

The Xbox One X is said to have 6 TFLOPs of compute performance. The GTX 1070 is rated at 6.5 TFLOPs. However that does not mean they are going to preform similarly. For example the RX 580 has 6.2 TFLOPs but does not compete against the GTX 1070 at all. The RX 580 performs almost the same as the GTX 1060 which is at 4.4 TFLOPs.

In the end we don't know how a GPU will perform based on spects alone.
I don't know where the teraflops comparison is coming from, that is not where I got it from. I read and article that literally said it was a derivative of the 1070, slightly better or slightly worse.

Another thing you'll notice, @76Knockout, is that the consoles can only (sort of) keep up on more current titles, as you've already experienced, but that only works in the present, and moving forward. Microsoft/Sony do everything they can to ensure their consoles don't "age" as quickly as PC hardware relative to the ever-increasing AAA performance demands. The strategy of improving the console hardware itself with major upgraded renditions (ex. PS4 Pro; Xbox One X) is a new wrinkle because there are simply limits to optimization, and that's their strategy for meeting higher resolutions. Naturally, the baseline version of both consoles date to autumn 2013, so both are already quite a bit older than your PC (summer 2016 hardware), and can't keep up.
Oh, it occurs to me, @76Knockout, that this portion of my post won't make sense to you unless I correct an apparent ignorance you revealed in your OP. PC games are NOT better optimized. PC hardware is vastly superior, and the game software offers far greater customization, adaptability, hacks, and third party content (modding).

Optimization is all about developers working to marry their game to a particular combination of hardware. In the PC world these combinations are almost limitless, with a lot of branches, so to speak, but in the Console world there is only a single setup that they have to worry about: a single tree. That's why the consoles will so significantly outperform PCs equal to them, and don't "age" relative to their horsepower as quickly.

It's similar to Apple vs. Android. Apple's incredibly limited set of hardware combinations is what allows for so much stability and performance efficiency.
I don't know where the teraflops comparison is coming from, that is not where I got it from. I read and article that literally said it was a derivative of the 1070, slightly better or slightly worse.
There's a lot of inaccurate information about PC hardware on console gamer websites, and there's also a lot of speculation about formally unannounced hardware before we see official specs. A couple of the better console-aimed websites that will tackle this are Digital Foundry and Eurogamer, but sometimes they don't mind their P's and Q's, either.

IIRC, that was a Digital Foundry article. I believe I read it. They arbitrarily picked the GTX 1070 because it was supposed to be ~35-40% stronger than the expected GPU performance of what will be in the Xbox One X, and they argued this was probably about appropriate as an analogue for the Xbox One X in their tests because of the natural optimization advantage I just discussed above that consoles hold over PCs. They offered virtually no analysis to justify the 40% figure, but any honest PC enthusiast would accept the spirit of that reasoning-- if not that specific figure.

The point of the article wasn't to figure out the closest PC GPU compared to the XBX internal hardware, but to assess whether or not the XBX would have sufficient power to realistically run a native 4K system with the latest AAA titles. They arrived at the conclusion it won't (which we already knew about the GTX 1070). It will be able to run 4K, but only by cheating with upscales the way the original PS4/XB1 did to meet 1080p@60fps demands.

Last edited:
As a PC gamer I have to say

Console gamers pay more attention to the game, the story

PC gamers pay more attention to how well their rig is running the game at max settings

Your average PC gamer thinks Just Cause 2 is a better game than GTA 5 because it runs at a higher fps

It is the comparison of teraflops that the articles are getting their comparisons.

PC gamers pay more attention to how well their rig is running the game at max settings

Your average PC gamer thinks Just Cause 2 is a better game than GTA 5 because it runs at a higher fps

This is not true at all.

lol no

<{cruzshake}>

<TrumpWrong1>

You're overlooking the simple fact that console gamers don't talk about this stuff because they tend not to know much of anything about it. That's one of the many reasons they'll cite for preferring the console. They are ignorant of this stuff, and aren't interested in tackling it. Simultaneously, the negative is invisible; you don't see all the PC gamers who similarly don't discuss this stuff because they're not particularly interested in it.

Good luck releasing something like Planescape: Torment on console. "The characters don't talk? I don't want to read."

If it wasn't for Japanese console exclusive games like Bloodborne, Nioh, Yakuza, etc. I would have ditched consoles a long, long time ago.

Back