PBC Showtime Gervonta vs Gamboa & Pascal vs Jack Dec.28th

He will only get picked apart if he doesn't back Loma up. He could walk him down without a lot of activity, and Loma would have nothing for him if tank kept him moving backwards.
Question is with Loma's feet, is pushing him back really gonna work? With his offense, high volume, and ability to pretty much get opponents to bite so hard he practically teleports behind them ala Pep or Mayweather, is which direction Loma's fighting really gonna matter? I think Davis just being a very fast counterpunched who could time someone is gonna be the difference maker in that fight if he can win, but you make it sound like Loma can just get walked down. He hardly sits on his punches, but more and more as he has looked human, I feel like I've been seeing him stand his ground and sit on his punches to gain respect from the LWs. Who's to say he can get pushed back by Davis at all, let alone that he couldn't get Davis' attn and keep him respectful for 12 which would easily mean lopsided decision for Loma.

ala Pep or Mayweather,
Mayweather was more about positioning than tremendous footwork on the Willie Pep level.

Floyd had otherworldly quick twitchiness with his hands...that dazzled more than his feet. Even defensively, his skillset was built on his upper body rather than traditional outside footwork.

Tank did what he was supposed to do but it didn't happen when he was expected to do it. He still got the job done but looked vulnerable at times. The thing with Gamboa is he isn't a natural Lightweight and he's not a Lightweight contender anymore. He's also nearly 40 years old. I'd like to see Tank take on an actual Top 10 ranked contender or two before he's pitted against the Loma's and Lopez's of the division.

Gamboa suffered some kind of injury to his right foot early (could've been a torn achilles). Tank's corner noticed it and told him about it between rounds. When Tank was asked if he knew Gamboa was injured he pretended he didn't know but the replays show his corner pointing it out to him.

Mayweather was more about positioning than tremendous footwork on the Willie Pep level.

Floyd had otherworldly quick twitchiness with his hands...that dazzled more than his feet. Even defensively, his skillset was built on his upper body rather than traditional outside footwork.
Certainly different fighters, but best references I could think of with my "teleporting" comment, lol.

Question is with Loma's feet, is pushing him back really gonna work? With his offense, high volume, and ability to pretty much get opponents to bite so hard he practically teleports behind them ala Pep or Mayweather, is which direction Loma's fighting really gonna matter? I think Davis just being a very fast counterpunched who could time someone is gonna be the difference maker in that fight if he can win, but you make it sound like Loma can just get walked down. He hardly sits on his punches, but more and more as he has looked human, I feel like I've been seeing him stand his ground and sit on his punches to gain respect from the LWs. Who's to say he can get pushed back by Davis at all, let alone that he couldn't get Davis' attn and keep him respectful for 12 which would easily mean lopsided decision for Loma.
I think fans oversimplify their analysis at times. Pushing him back by cutting the ring and pressuring is a good start but Loma's feet are far better than Gamboa's and he's shown that he can hold center ring well. The biggest thing Tank can't do against Loma is to let him tie-up whenever he feels he's in danger. Gamboa made it to the 12th round because Tank didn't have an answer for him tying up and grappling to survive that long. That was inexperience on Tank's part. What's interesting is that Tank himself can be pushed back. Gamboa momentarily had him on the ropes and Cuellar was able to make him give ground when he came forward.

On how to beat Davis set him up to punch himself into a knockout because he overcommits to his power shots and just open him up for a counter and these bigger fighters will hurt him.

Tank isn't that good.

I think fans oversimplify their analysis at times. Pushing him back by cutting the ring and pressuring is a good start but Loma's feet are far better than Gamboa's and he's shown that he can hold center ring well. The biggest thing Tank can't do against Loma is to let him tie-up whenever he feels he's in danger. Gamboa made it to the 12th round because Tank didn't have an answer for him tying up and grappling to survive that long. That was inexperience on Tank's part. What's interesting is that Tank himself can be pushed back. Gamboa momentarily had him on the ropes and Cuellar was able to make him give ground when he came forward.
Well yeah, that's a good point. He's been forced back himself, which is a good sign for Loma, and you're right, he definitely doesn't want to tie up with Loma, or get rough with Loma. Loma is with the one with amateur wrestling credentials. If he's inactive, I see very little Davis can do aside from timing the big shot

Queen B's Newsflash

Tank did better against Gamboa than Teofimo did against Nakatani

Queen B's Newsflash

Tank did better against Gamboa than Teofimo did against Nakatani
Teofimo beat a titleholder that's a big punching natural Lightweight in a little over a round. Tank hasn't fought a ranked contender or titleholder at Lightweight yet. Tank doesn't deserve to be ranked higher than Teofimo at this point because he hasn't earned it.

Ther problem I saw with Davis last night appeared to be conditioning. There were big pieces of rounds where he threw nothing and if he does that with Lomachenko, then he's just going to get picked apart.
I dont know how he can fix that cause its gonna come down to discipline. Much like Broner he seems to get enamored with food before fights and uses camp as a fat farm. I dont know if its something he will fix. He would have to supremely discipline himself. Plus I think he likes the booze and other stuff. Very very difficult to change and become disciplined like Loma.

Ther problem I saw with Davis last night appeared to be conditioning. There were big pieces of rounds where he threw nothing and if he does that with Lomachenko, then he's just going to get picked apart.

I'm not sure Tank's power carried up well to 135. Gamboa has always been chinny, and it took Tank all 12 rounds to stop a washed up Gamboa. Who by the way, was not counted out and still conscious. A prime Gamboa would have been a really great fight to see.

At this point, Lopez looks like he'd crush Tank. Their power difference looks world's apart. Today, I'd favor both Lopez and Lomachenko over Tank. Davis has to show me more at this weight.

On the card, props to Pascal! He fought tough and had the knockdown in the fourth came one minute earlier, he may have just stopped Jack. I'm down for a rematch, it was a great fight!

LOL!
ENFe-Z-UUAAvHKo.jpg

ENFg_P-WkAMjsVw.jpg

Last edited:

Bud isn't fighting anyone of note in his division, so he decides to try and start shit with someone 7 years younger than him and 2 weight divisions below? Nice one.

Roflmao, Crawford and Davis arguing about who's no hoper was worse, Christ they should go bowling.

Gervonta Davis-Gamboa Peaked At 604K Viewers On Showtime

Back