PBC July 15th Fox Long Island, New York

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
JUST ANNOUNCED: Former world champions Omar Panterita Figueroa and Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero meet July 15 in a welterweight brawl on FOX. #PBConFOX#FigueroaGuerrero

Unbeaten 175-pound contenders and New York natives Marcus Browne (19-0, 14 KOs), of Staten Island, and Seanie Monaghan (28-0, 17 KOs), of Long Island, square off the co-main event of #PBConFOXon July 15 at NYCB Live.

Omar Figueroa 26-0 vs Robert Guerrero 33-5

Marcus Browne 19-0 vs Seanie Monaghan 28-0

Artur Szpilka 20-2 vs Adam kownacki 15-0

Monaghan, Browne and kownacki are local kids, how big of a draw not sure.

Sean Monaghan will help open the renovated Nassau Coliseum after all.

BoxingScene.com has learned that the popular light heavyweight contender from Long Island has agreed to fight Staten Island’s Marcus Browne (19-0, 14 KOs) on July 15 at Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, New York. The light heavyweight bout between the unbeaten light heavyweights will be part of a prime-time telecast on FOX.

The main event of the tripleheader will be a welterweight fight that’ll match former four-division title-holder Robert Guerrero (33-5-1, 18 KOs, 2 NC) against Omar Figueroa (26-0-1, 18 KOs). The third televised fight will pit Polish heavyweights Artur Szpilka (20-2, 15 KOs) and Adam Kownacki (15-0, 12 KOs) against one another.

robert-guerrero%20(26).jpg

"Both me and Omar Figueroa like to bang on the inside, which should make for great entertainment, but Omar is going to find out on July 15 that he's facing a man who has his back against the wall and is going to leave everything in the ring," said Guerrero. "I'm going to give the millions who'll be watching on FOX and FOX Deportes a fight to remember. This is going to be a classic Mexican war and I'm coming out on top."

The 35-year-old Monaghan (28-0, 17 KOs), of Long Beach, New York, had hoped to face WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson at Nassau Coliseum, either on April 29 or this Saturday (May 27). Negotiations never led to a deal, however, and Canada’s Stevenson (28-1, 23 KOs) instead agreed to defend his title against Poland’s Andrzej Fonfara (29-4, 17 KOs, 1 NC) in a rematch June 3 at Bell Centre in Montreal.

"It is a dream come true to be fighting at the Coliseum, which is literally right next to the track where I run every day," said Monaghan. "It is an honor to represent Long Island in the first boxing event held at this venue in 31 years. I've been waiting for an opportunity like this for a long time, and I feel that this bout will bring a new chapter in my career. I have a lot of respect for Marcus Browne, but let the best man win. On July 15, I am putting everything on the line."

- See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/figueroa...-nassau-coliseum--116876#sthash.FG25tL0S.dpuf

BoxRec is also listing a fight between former super featherweight titleholder Jose Pedraza (22-1, 12 KO) and Jamel Herring (16-1, 9 KO)

Rumored to headline the fox sports portion

Earlier this week it was announced that former multi-division champion Robert Guerrero (33-5-1) would return to the ring on July 15th against unbeaten Omar Figueroa (26-0-1) at the NYCB LIVE's Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Long Island. The fight will headline a FOX/FOX Deportes tripleheader that will be rounded with Marcus Browne facing Seanie Monaghan and Artur Szpilka-Adam Kownacki.

The 34-year-old Guerrero will be attempting to bounce back from back to back defeats against Danny Garcia and David Peralta. After the victory over Guerrero, which was very competitive fight, Garcia stopped an over matched Samuel Vargas before losing a close decision in a unification bout versus Keith Thurman. Guerrero's trainer and father Ruben thought the Thurman-Garcia fight was okay but didn't produce the action that his son did when he fought both men. "It was an alright fight but it wasn't like the way it was with Robert. They had too much respect for each other, back and forth. They didn't really come to fight.

They came to respect each other so that isn't great for the people. You need to come to fight - like Robert Guerrero. He comes to fight. He makes you run and makes you go back. All of the guys that fight Robert want to win by points. They don't want to stand in front of Robert. No way," Guerrero explained. After losing to Garcia, which Robert and Ruben feel was a bad decision, they asked for a rematch.

So far that hasn't came to fruition but Ruben wants to make it clear that if everything goes well versus Figueroa that they are still very open to facing Garcia again. "I would love to fight them again but that is up to them. If they want to make that decision. They know what happened to him the last time and everyone knows it. They gave them that fight," Guerrero told BoxingScene.com. "Nobody wants to give Robert a rematch because they know what to expect in the rematch. That is why nobody would ever give him a rematch. Not even Mayweather, Garcia, Thurman, not Berto. They know what Robert can do. He does damage. Nobody wants to give a rematch. He hits hard and they know it" - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/ruben-gu...atch-with-robert--116927#sthash.QO2bj7Hn.dpuf

New York light heavyweight Sean Monaghan (28-0, 17 KOs) thought he was on the verge of landing a potential life-changing fight against Adonis Stevenson at his local Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum — but ultimately found his hopes dashed after months of negotiations led nowhere.

Stevenson would instead opt for a title defense against Andrzej Fonfara this past weekend in a fight that had a swift and abrupt ending. And with few other options on the table, Monaghan had to settle for a fight with prospect Marcus Browne (19-0, 14 KOs) on July 15, on the Robert Guerrero vs. Omar Figueroa PBC card.

Browne, 26, represents a serious threat to a 35-year-old Monaghan who hopes to finally secure a world title opportunity, but for significantly less reward than he would’ve had with a major belt on the line. To that end Monaghan initially lamented a fight against Browne. But it’s a fight that he’s now warmed up to, telling ESPN:

"I've been chipping away at a title fight for a long time. When they asked me about Marcus, I first was thinking that it wasn't the fight I wanted," Monaghan said. "At this point in the game, it's may the best man win.

"Marcus does everything well. He's fast, he's slick, and he punches pretty hard," Monaghan said. "I like to fight and come forward and make it that kind of rough style on fight night. I've mastered the ability to control my emotions on fight night. I'm a professional in my 29th fight, so it's not my first time at the rodeo. This is strictly business. It's my time."

Monaghan finds a silver lining in the fact that he had already been in training camp preparing for the southpaw Adonis Stevenson, but considering that Browne is a southpaw just the same, his preparation thus far hasn’t been completely wasted.

And to keep the optimism high, promoter Lou DiBella says that the winner of this fight is a will be a sure bet to compete for a world title.

“This is going to be a really good fight, and I don't think it's going the distance. You can bank on the fact that the winner of this fight will get a shot at the light heavyweight championship of the world."

According to Monaghan, this is do or die, and he says he’s going to put Adonis Stevenson right back in his crosshairs with a win over Browne.

Guerrero is well passed it and Figueroa was never that good, but at at least it will be a firefight. Browne doesn't impress me that much, but he should beat Monaghan.

Guerrero is well passed it and Figueroa was never that good, but at at least it will be a firefight. Browne doesn't impress me that much, but he should beat Monaghan.

I'm not familiar with Figueroa, does he do anything particularly well?

I think Guerrero vs Rios would be a good retirement fight for them.

Monaghan, Browne and kownacki are local kids, how big of a draw not sure.
Monaghan can draw in Long Island. Browne and Kownacki not so much. Browne cant even draw in Brooklyn.

Hes a Just Bleed inside fighter but doesnt have too much power

He eats himself out of weight classes pretty well, and he one of the best at getting injured.

Other than being tough and active, no.

I'm sure you've seen Figueroa before. He's a really good free TV fighter.
Really good sugfest here.

I'm sure you've seen Figueroa before. He's a really good free TV fighter.
Really good sugfest here.

You're right, I do remember watching that DeMarco fight.

browne-monoghan%20(2).jpg

MARCUS BROWNE

"I'm ready to roll. I'm ready let my hands go and get in the ring and rumble on Saturday night. This is going to be a great night of fights.

"This is a big fight for me. It's a great fight against a very determined and experienced fighter. Seanie is a veteran in this sport but he's still hungry. He has a lot to lose, as do I. We're both going to put it on the line.

"I'm excited to be part of opening up this new venue. There are a lot of different cultures that come together in Long Island and it should make for a great crowd.

"I think the timing that my career has progressed has been great. I've been going step-by-step and I feel like I'm on a good path towards a world title.

"I'm very familiar with Seanie from sparring together but I know that he's a veteran who's going to have a great game plan. Training camp has me ready and I'm going to be prepared to make adjustments. I'm ready to lay it all out there."

premier-boxing-champions%20(1)_3.jpg

SEANIE MONAGHAN

"Training camp has been excellent. I've been sparring a lot of lefties and getting ready for this style matchup. This is probably the longest camp I've ever had and I feel great. I'm on weight right now and ready for this fight. This is the best shape I've ever been in.

Back