Paul Schreiner: 1/2 Guard *Review, disc #1

DVD review guy

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
We have a new King!

I just finished Paul's half guard dvd, disc #1, It's fantastic!

Paul's disc #2 was my motivation for getting the dvd. I assumed I knew the first dvd martial, no problem. WRONG ! Yes, I have seen several of the techniques from MG's site, although not taught via Paul. This is not a knock on Marcelo, the GOAT. Paul's details are simple, yet make the move. His teaching's is amazing, 4 - 6 min clips.

Here's some highlights of disc #1

*Marcelo, and, Paul, mention "weight distribution," more than any other principle (Leverage, angles, etc.)
**No Marcelo is not in the video's. I've noticed this over the year's watching their video's.

*Paul explaining basic structure and distance management, WOW!
*Manipulating base details.
*The basic knee pick reversal, :25 mark, damn, how did I not get this?
*High clinch to the back, forearm step is great.
*Paul discussing clinch range, whizzer.

I hate writing reviews (forget the screen name!) I watched several clips twice. There's much more to disc one, you got the "cliff notes" version. And, I'm super stoked to watch disc #2..

Digitsu has the best customer service I will say.

Awesome technical "precise" instructional.

I used to have a really hard time maintaining the underhook but the details he shows solved that...

Ive trained with Paul's brother Quinn for years and he is super technical and a great instructor. Makes sense it runs in the family

You fucking guys!! I buckled under peer pressure. :)

Digitsu.png

Forgot - Although Paul's shown wearing a gi, the techniques are applicable to both gi & no-gi. I'm surprised by the lack of gi via grips and control. Have we all been doing it wrong? It seems like every match I watch the bottom guy uses the gi for control from bottom half.

Paul's approach seems just the opposite. He looks to use his hips to control everything (no crap, right?) Paul stresses keeping your opponents shoulders on your hip line. MGinaction has 38 video's of paul sparring. I will watch every one of those before Sunday (family is away!!!)

Back to disc 2!

Thanks for the information. I think I will get these on Black Friday now.

Back