Paul Hughes signs with PFL

The UFC is going to fumble some of the best prospects in the world because they still refuse to pay fighters what they're worth. Look, I'm not one who dives as deep into fighters finances as others, but it sucks they keep doing it and it's costing them signing some of the best talent available. Sad it's 2024 we're still having the same conversations.

The UFC is going to fumble some of the best prospects in the world because they still refuse to pay fighters what they're worth. Look, I'm not one who dives as deep into fighters finances as others, but it sucks they keep doing it and it's costing them signing some of the best talent available. Sad it's 2024 we're still having the same conversations.
It's sad because if they just offered them 50/50K, they would probably get everyone. For Parnasse, 100K/100K would have probably done it

The ufc just gets to let him build his name through the pfl and then they can snatch him up when he proves he’s elite. They got Kayla and I’m guessing with aj mckee once his contract expires

Paul Hughes vs Salahdine Parnasse
Book it Ray Sefo

Massive bummer. But he’s only 26. I imagine if he keeps winning and/or the PFL shuts down we’ll see him in the UFC.

How much is he getting paid in the PFL?

Chance to win that million is big for any regional guy.

Some will take UFC offer cause the big lights nad money may come down the line if you reach those heights but right now PFL has to overpay to get guys to consider them.

Some take it cause that money and opportunity right now is too good to pass and some dont and will want to make it in UFC.

And with PFL/Bellator mostly being a European org these days it makes sense to focus signing guys from over there.

I thought Hughes would end up in UFC but good for him getting paid and good luck seeing how far he can make it over there.

Chance to win that million is big for any regional guy.
Not only for regional guys, but for UFC fighters as well.

The grand majority of the fighters in the UFC won't make that in 3-4 fights.

Not only for regional guys, but for UFC fighters as well.

The grand majority of the fighters in the UFC won't make that in 3-4 fights.
The thing is only one guy does that and it’s usually not the best, it’s just the guy who doesn’t get injured or have any issues with visas and stuff

Anyway, glad he got paid, but I could care less about the pfl and their pointless tournaments with no prestige

It just didn't seem like the UFC wanted Hughes for god knows what reason. They've had loads of chances to sign him at any point over the last 2-3 years and just never did.

Massive bummer. But he’s only 26. I imagine if he keeps winning and/or the PFL shuts down we’ll see him in the UFC.

26 isn't young, it's his prime. Honestly the UFC should be trying to get top talent by their mid twenties at the latest. Most guys are beginning amateurs by 15-16 and going pro at around 18 now. They should be trying to sign top talent onto the contender series by like 21-24 ideally, and willing to pay legitimate sums for dudes in their mid twenties who are clearly superfuckinglegit like Islam Omarov, Salahdine Parnasse, Losene Keita etc. Signing guys are like 28-32 is basically unfortunate, particularly at 170lbs and below, but like the latest to still reasonably do it.

26 isn't young, it's his prime. Honestly the UFC should be trying to get top talent by their mid twenties at the latest. Most guys are beginning amateurs by 15-16 and going pro at around 18 now. They should be trying to sign top talent onto the contender series by like 21-24 ideally, and willing to pay legitimate sums for dudes in their mid twenties who are clearly superfuckinglegit like Islam Omarov, Salahdine Parnasse, Losene Keita etc. Signing guys are like 28-32 is basically unfortunate, particularly at 170lbs and below, but like the latest to still reasonably do it.
28-32 is prime. This makes no sense.

28-32 is prime. This makes no sense.

32 is the end of fighters primes in MMA by all meaningful statistics. If you look at athletic primes and studies done, it tends to END between 28-30. So guys peak mid 20s athletically, usually. Tons of guys became champ in boxing, MMA, in their mid 20s, super common. If you look at medalists in Judo, Boxing and wrestling they tend to be mid twenties, especially in the non heavier weights. As the sport evolves, and it is steadily in this direction, where guys like Holloway, Mokaev, Pantoja, Khabib, Islam, Arnold Allen etc. Are competing at 14-15 at competitive levels and often training before that, you will see guys with great records and ready for titles very young. Signing guys at 28-30 is not ideal, they gotta spend 2-3 years just to amass that 5-8 fight win streak just to get a title shot, God forbid they lose, get injured or anything else. They'll basically be out of their fucking prime.

Hard to say without knowing the facts behind it all.

We have no ideal how much interest the UFC had and if they did what kind of offer they laid out or what Hughes people where asking. It seems like orgs like the PFL, Strikeforce, KSW, Bellator, etc over the years have no problem guaranteeing a better bottom line than the UFC and the UFC likes to dangle the carrot of start low with a smaller guarantee bottom line but a larger pay in the end if this, that, or whatever happens over the course of the contract. Many times a guy like Hughes who isn't set in the money department taking the better guarantee over "x" amount of fights is a much safer bet right now. Plus all these fighters believe next time around I can get a better offer from the UFC after I show them on this stage, all while building their nest egg, especially when your mid 20's.

It is very obvious over the years the UFC has a formula behind the scenes on how they value any fighter and it pretty scary accurate. No too many times in the last two decades have the UFC really looked stupid for letting a fighter go or not signing a prospect they really wanted. We can all bitch how they pay or what ever but in the end the business formula they have when it comes to fighter pay is one of the key things that helped the UFC not meet the fate of so many other orgs over the decades.

Back