Parrdon the ignorance, but why did Poatan get the blackbelt after the JH fight?

I can't fathom people and especially commentators like DC that always go "whuuuuuuuuuuut? he got new belt??? but he didn't do any jitz in there!!"

It's OBVIOUSLY just a big celebratory moment to give a belt he was due anyways.

Now regarding his actual blackbelt, I had no idea he was that far along with his BJJ. Kinda wondering if it's some inside joke or if the belt was "MMA blackbelt" or some shit.

Islam addressed this in a interview with DC that people are given black belts when they aren't really black belts. It's more of a honorary type of thing and it's more common to happen with brazilian fighters

It's like a honorary doctorate but for the scrap game fam wouldn't stress too much 💯🤓👨‍🎓 plus you ain't always gotta choke bro to put him to sleep if you can crack Poatan just using his strengths fam 💥👊

To do it in that moment after victory regardless if he grappled. He was gonna get it anyways.

It’s what happens when you are levels below your opponent whom you just sent to Bolivian

I have a feeling he trained a lot of wrestling/BJJ for the fight and thought he was going to get taken down. Since he kept it standing, they probably just gave him a belt for that.

The fact that he wants to fight Ankalev next tells me he's working on the ground.

He was probably already going to get it and his team chose that moment to give it to him. He's been training MMA since 2015 so presumably BJJ as well since then. It's been 9 years.

Or maybe he's just a black belt with them hands.

Its a Brazilian thing afaik

Ive seen dude I trained with before that went from white belt to purple for KO’ing a black belt with boxing LoL in a mma fight

And the purple promotion was from a legit Brazilian instructor

I remember when I got my black belt (on sherdog ) what a special day my whole family had a party for me

Because he's probably tired of UFC belts so they wanted him to enjoy something new

It's just ceremonious. Most of the time these guys are black belt level and they just decide to award after a big event like UFC 300.

this was a joke by Glover and his team

Glover has a bjj black belt, Alex has none, so they threw him a black belt for fucking ppl up with one punch, for the fun of it

it was like 'oh god you are a black belt in striking' lol

Jones was "officially" a white belt while he had already earned submission victories over TRTor, Rampage, and Lyoto.

Islam's sentiment is true.

Mighty Mouse threw a man in the air during a UFC title fight and had a successful armbar on him by the time he hit the ground.

He holds the record for most submissions in UFC title fights (5)

He is a brown belt.

The belts seem rather arbitrary to me.

Jon Jones and Matt Hughes have both submitted BJJ Black belts, choked them unconscious. Neither was a black belt or even a brown belt at the time of these submissions.

The answer is obvious: they wanted to give him his promotion on the big stage. The better question is what metric are they using? In the first Izzy fight, Alex looked like a low-level blue belt on the ground.

Back