Paris Climate Accord In Shambles; Countries Ignore Promises In Favor of Coal

Well, it wouldn't appear to be one if you think international cooperation in moving toward renewables & lowering carbon emissions is a bad idea.
Both are terrible ideas. They're nonsense. The renewables and ability to lower carbon emissions enough to reverse global warming without bankrupting the world don't exist yet outside of nuclear energy. It's like making international snake oil agreements.

A real approach would be gigantic state-run international projects like CERN and the International Space Project to actually create those technologies for real or make an international move towards using nuclear energy. Anything else is just politics and not a serious approach.

It was a joke from the beginning. None of it would've made one bit of difference regarding this alleged climate change.

The whole thing was set up to test the waters on whether or not international regulation can be imposed, and the experiment failed.

You are having a strange day. Nothing I said was nihilistic. I'm far from a nihilist. Just like earlier you were calling me a Netanyahu shill when I've referenced the guy twice ever in 30K posts.

So your opposition of this deal is that it wasnt binding and thus useless?

Both are terrible ideas. They're nonsense. The renewables and ability to lower carbon emissions enough to reverse global warming without bankrupting the world don't exist yet outside of nuclear energy. It's like making international snake oil agreements.

A real approach would be gigantic state-run international projects like CERN and the International Space Project to actually create those technologies for real or make an international move towards using nuclear energy. Anything else is just politics and not a serious approach.

Humans have managed to make the use of energy more and more efficient, the problem seems to be that the more efficient the process becomes the cheaper oil becomes and thus people turn more wasteful.

Well, it wouldn't appear to be one if you think international cooperation in moving toward renewables & lowering carbon emissions is a bad idea.
We won but at no cost to us. I think your metaphor is off. We were just going to buy the rest of the world windmills. That was the accord. Going broke trying to find the entire world to get Green energy would be a Pyrrhic victory. It would be more tragic when they backed out anyway

So your opposition of this deal is that it wasnt binding and thus useless?
My opposition to this deal was that whether it is adhered to or not will have negligible impact on the earth's climate imo.

we need more global warming

Humans have managed to make the use of energy more and more efficient, the problem seems to be that the more efficient the process becomes the cheaper oil becomes and thus people turn more wasteful.
You know what really scares me? The solution to global warming is the next level of energy efficiency, something even more efficient than nuclear.

However, nuclear technology already imperils the human species.

What kind of danger are we going to be in with even more efficient energy than nuclear?

It's like global warming kills us one way but the solution to global warming might also kill us. What can we do?

My opposition to this deal was that whether it is adhered to or not will have negligible impact on the earth's climate imo.

It would stop further exacerbation of the problem though, if of course adhered.

I never took your for the nihilist type.

But its a good response, i kind of agree with you, human greed trumps all.

With leftists, it's nihilism or central planning....no other options

You know what really scares me? The solution to global warming is the next level of energy efficiency, something even more efficient than nuclear.

However, nuclear technology already imperils the human species.

What kind of danger are we going to be in with even more efficient energy than nuclear?

It's like global warming kills us one way but the solution to global warming might also kill us. What can we do?
Luddite revolution

With leftists, it's nihilism or central planning....no other options
Humanity faces so many more international problems today than we did hundreds of years ago: global warming, nuclear proliferation, global terrorism, etc.

These problems are all beyond the ability of just one country to solve. Solutions to these problems will require international central planning of some kind.

I don't like the idea of this, personally. However, it's just reality.

Small countries around the world will continue to develop the ability to wipe out the human species. The Earth will continue to warm. And who knows what other potentially species-ending dilemnas the
21st century will present us with?

Many things that we currently identify as national sovereignty rights will have to be ceded by all of us to some degree of international control this century. This is why bodies, as ineffective as they are, like the UN exist. But the UN isn't enough anymore. If we don't do this, we will all die.

This is true, but take into account that humanity has existed for tens of thousands of years and that the planet has had like for 500 million years.

We are literally fucking everything up in the course of a few centuries when the light at the end of the tunnel is probably 50-100 years ahead.

Is it going to be worth it? who knows.

I thought we were already past the point of no return with climate change? The damage has already been done.

I thought we were already past the point of no return with climate change? The damage has already been done.

I think the point of no return is going to be when all the coastal cities get flooded, we still have time.

Back