Pain in upper tricep/behind lower shoulder when throwing the jab

AminoAcid

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I do boxing and about 3 weeks ago I started to experience a mild pain on my upper tricep/lower back shoulder region when I would jab. I was able to power through it, but then as the days went on it just got worse, up to the point where I couldn't block out the pain anymore.

I can still jab, but if I keep jabbing consistently over and over again without a rest then I start experiencing the pain.

What do you guys think it is? Just a tricep strain? The pain is not near the elbow, rather just below the shoulder and on the back side of the arm - aka the upper tricep region.

I was thinking it might be a mild rotator cuff injury, but from what I know an injured rotator cuff affects mostly the front of the shoulder blade - which is not where my pain is located.

Anyways, I decided to rest and not throw any punches or weight lift. I have just been doing cardio and footwork/technique for the past week.

Has anyone experienced this type of pain before?

Is it your Teres Major?

Any other symptoms, any pain in the forearm or fingers? It could be any number of things

Is it your Teres Major?

Any other symptoms, any pain in the forearm or fingers? It could be any number of things

I do feel some radiating pain shoot down the bicep from time to time. I'm not sure if this is related. However, this pain is only experienced when I'm resting and not active.

Must've pulled a muscle somewhere. Need to throw it correctly. Give it rest and heal up. Then learn to throw the jab properly. Maybe you threw it too hard and messed up your shoulder/rotator cuff or something. Go check it out if it doesn't get better after a few days of resting.

Back