Overrated musical artists you love to hate

triptych

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know very well that music and musical artists are subjective issues, but sometimes (quite often) some overrated bands are so crappy or wimpy, you just have to vent !! This is a venter's thread....shoot away :):)
My blacklist of crappy overrated musical artists (for different reasons and not in any given order):-
METALLICA.
RAMMSTEIN.
98% of NU-METAL BANDS.
MARILLION.
ANY DISCO DUCK BAND FROM THE LATE 70s to THE EARLY 90s.
MANESKIN.
BLACK EYED PEAS.
PETER TOSH.
LADY GAGA.
MICHAEL JACKSON.
LIONEL RITCHIE.
HALL & OATES.
SAXON.
MANOWAR (the most racist band ever!!).
BAUHAUS.
DAVE GROHL.
HELMET.
DAVID GILMOUR solo.
STING solo.
QUEEN (the crappy Radio Gaga and similar years :)).

Last edited:
Dream Theater - I respect the talent of the musicians, unfortunately their music does nothing for me even though many say it's the best metal ever.
Gustav Mahler - Classical music fans told me this was the pinnacle of the genre, IMO he ain't, not even close.
Patricia Barber - Thought her music was average, but she was hyped to the sky in the late 90s and early 2000s, couldn't walk into a music or hi-fi shop without hearing her songs on constant repeat.

Pretty much every female pop singer with the possible exception of Whitney Houston. I've spent over 25 years in the metal world where classically trained singers are a dime a dozen, the vocal abilities of pop princesses leaves much to be desired.

Dream Theater - I respect the talent of the musicians, unfortunately their music does nothing for me even though many say it's the best metal ever.
Gustav Mahler - Classical music fans told me this was the pinnacle of the genre, IMO he ain't, not even close.
Patricia Barber - Thought her music was average, but she was hyped to the sky in the late 90s and early 2000s, couldn't walk into a music or hi-fi shop without hearing her songs on constant repeat.

Pretty much every female pop singer with the possible exception of Whitney Houston. I've spent over 25 years in the metal world where classically trained singers are a dime a dozen, the vocal abilities of pop princesses leaves much to be desired.
Someone once said "pop will eat itself".

Siouxie and the Banshees.
XTC.
Donna Summer.

I wouldn't say they're overrated (it's just personal taste) or that I particularly hate any of these but these are canon artists that don't really resonate with me for various reasons.

U2 - I don't mind some of their early stuff but I found Joshua Tree pretty boring, Achtung baby outright annoying and it's only gone downhill from there.

Elvis Costello - Dunno what it is about him but I just don't find his music interesting at all.

John Lennon as a solo artist - I'll give him working class hero but I find him pretty average outside of that and much prefer John and George as solo artists.

Rockier Springsteen - Nebraska was fucking excellent, why can't he do more stuff like that? Not a fan of any of his "been working hard all day can't wait to get home and fuck my wife" stuff.

Elton John - Can't seem to find any connection, just seems spectacularly average pop rock to me.

AC/DC - Once you've heard a couple of their songs you've heard them all imo.

Pl
I wouldn't say they're overrated (it's just personal taste) or that I particularly hate any of these but these are canon artists that don't really resonate with me for various reasons.

U2 - I don't mind some of their early stuff but I found Joshua Tree pretty boring, Achtung baby outright annoying and it's only gone downhill from there.

Elvis Costello - Dunno what it is about him but I just don't find his music interesting at all.

John Lennon as a solo artist - I'll give him working class hero but I find him pretty average outside of that and much prefer John and George as solo artists.

Rockier Springsteen - Nebraska was fucking excellent, why can't he do more stuff like that? Not a fan of any of his "been working hard all day can't wait to get home and fuck my wife" stuff.

Elton John - Can't seem to find any connection, just seems spectacularly average pop rock to me.

Not everyone has the guts to admit some of the biggest names out there are really crappy and so overrated !!!! People cannot admit this coz they cannot handle the isolation and harsh criticism they might get from the idiots who follow the overrated "hit parades" out there. Music is art , not record sales, trends, good looks without talent, etc. :)

Now you've got me going lol

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - I'll give them under the bridge but the early stuff I thought of as funk for people who don't like funk (tbh I don't think funk rock really works in general and then I thought they became a middle of the road pop band.

Pearl Jam - just think everything I've heard from them is a bit bland. Don't think they had the rough edge that Nirvana or AIC had.

Big Star - I don't mind 3rd but I thought their first two albums were awful.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pretty canon for prog but I find them to be the exact kind of whimsical English rock that I can't listen to. Just sounds silly to me.

Beck - I absolutely love lost cause, outside that most of the time he sounds like he's trying to be goofy for the sake of being goofy. Maybe I don't mind devils haircut either actually.

Snoop - I quite like him as a guest artist but a whole album of this dude sounding like he's just got out of bed is too much.

Pl

Not everyone has the guts to admit some of the biggest names out there are really crappy and so overrated !!!! People cannot admit this coz they cannot handle the isolation and harsh criticism they might get from the idiots who follow the overrated "hit parades" out there. Music is art , not record sales, trends, good looks without talent, etc. :)

It's all subjective at the end of the day. I personally think some of the artists you've listed are excellent. Bauhaus have a top 10 song of all time for me in Bela Lugosi's dead.

Benny and the Jets was a great Elton John song, so was tiny dancer tbh sir.

It's all subjective at the end of the day. I personally think some of the artists you've listed are excellent. Bauhaus have a top 10 song of all time for me in Bela Lugosi's dead.
That song is the only one I can digest !!! I mentioned that music in the end is subjective, but objectively speaking, too many artists out there ride the wave of commercial music instead of producing something really valid.....objectively. I agree to disagree with you :):) and I insist that the blacklist I drew up above is RIGHT ON !!

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - I'll give them under the bridge but the early stuff I thought of as funk for people who don't like funk (tbh I don't think funk rock really works in general and then I thought they became a middle of the road pop band.

Pearl Jam - just think everything I've heard from them is a bit bland. Don't think they had the rough edge that Nirvana or AIC had.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pretty canon for prog but I find them to be the exact kind of whimsical English rock that I can't listen to. Just sounds silly to me.

Beck - I absolutely love lost cause, outside that most of the time he sounds like he's trying to be goofy for the sake of being goofy. Maybe I don't mind devils haircut either actually.

Snoop - I quite like him as a guest artist but a whole album of this dude sounding like he's just got out of bed is too much.

Becks first album is good, that truck driver neighbor song is dope.

Ok by me except for RHCP :)

New country...the whole genre.

Give me Ray Charles' country album, or Roy Williams.

Green Day

Justin Timberlake

All mumble rap

Benny and the Jets was a great Elton John song, so was tiny dancer tbh sir.

Yeah like I say I'm not saying he's bad, I just don't like it myself. I definitely had a point in my younger years where I thought things I don't like objectively sucked but I'm past that nowadays lol.

That song is the only one I can digest !!! I mentioned that music in the end is subjective, but objectively speaking, too many artists out there ride the wave of commercial music instead of producing something really valid.....objectively. I agree to disagree with you :):) and I insist that the blacklist I drew up above is RIGHT ON !!

Tbh I don't really get how Bauhaus would be classed as commercial.

Yeah like I say I'm not saying he's bad, I just don't like it myself. I definitely had a point in my younger years where I thought things I don't like objectively sucked but I'm past that nowadays lol.

I mean everything he's done isn't gold, but those 2 songs I like a lot lol

Tbh I don't really get how Bauhaus would be classed as commercial.
No, Bauhaus is not commercial , but it's an over-hyped band all the same. The Cure later on became "commercial", but they were never wimpy nor overrated.

Back