Outside of Canelo and GGG are there any stars left in boxing????

Lionheart7167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Mayweather is done (or so he say's)
Conor- who knows if we'll ever see him box again
Pacquiao doesn't pull the numbers that he used to. He's older, and obviously on the decline
Cotto- retiring after his next fight
Ward- retired

Who's left really? I love Kovalev, Lemieux, Thurman, Saunders, Lomanchenko and Chocolatito but I wouldn't say any of those dudes are "stars". Joshua has a big following in England, but no one on this side of the pond know's who he is, and the same could be said for the other big heavies (Wilder, Ortiz).

This is the first time that I can remember where there are literally ZERO big fights coming up, that anyone outside of the "hardcores" care about

Well Deontey Wilder got a lot of reach with his last fight, and the hype with Joshua is starting to catch on. His KO record is getting casual's attention.

pacquiao of course is still a big name and instantly recognizable. People might not know Jeff Horn's name that well, but they love bringing up the fact that he beat Manny. They know who he is.

Other fighters like Errol Spence Jr, Thurman, Shawn Porter, Danny Garcia are ignored by most people.

A lot of people recognize the name Adrian Broner, or at least his face, mostly because of dumb shit he did on the internet like say "I'm AB I don't need change" in a Walmart. As a result, Mikey Garcia's name is getting more shine.

Mikey also got attention because he trained with Maidana, which was relevant when boxing pundits tried saying McGregor had a chance to win against Mayweather because he struggled against past brawlers.

There is potential for big stars in the future.

As far as big fights coming up, we just had a great year in boxing.

We are one month until the end of 2017. How about you a bit and we can start putting together 2018.

Last edited:
"Stars" in boxing are relegated to their existing body of fans. Since boxing is a niche sport, "stars" becomes something else than what we know as a society (Lebron James seems to be a popular name and I haven't watched a basketball game since 2002, but he was in that movie recently with that fat chick that's funny, right?). Pertaining to the body of boxing fans, I'd say there are many stars, but outside of that fan base, it's hard to call someone a star.

If this makes sense: I don't give a shit about cricket, so I know zero names associated with that sport. I'm sure there might be one or two people that are relevant, and they are probably a huge deal to people that actually care.

"Stars" when referring to boxing becomes an antiquated term. We don't have a belt of poverty ripping across North America like we used to, and the sport doesn't have an active fan base. Randoms drop in for gimmicks and bullshit like an MMA guy trying to be a boxer. You can blame infrastructure: you never know when boxing is on regularly scheduled programming because there is none, and top fighters only throw their name up into the air like twice a year, so it's a system that only makes sense to people on the inside. Plus bullshit scoring seems to make the news more than the fact that the fight might have been awesome, so that doesn't help.

I must be a glutton for emotional abuse, because I love boxing.

This is the first time that I can remember where there are literally ZERO big fights coming up, that anyone outside of the "hardcores" care about

this has probably been the best year in boxing in like a decade, and you complain about conor not fighting anymore?

There are tons of stars in boxing but only one or two superstars at this point. Which is fine in my opinion. Less superstars means more top fighters fighting top fighters instead of waiting around for lotto ticket paydays.

Remember how many guys dodged each other because they all wanted to fight Mayweather? Once that was off the table they actually started fighting each other. That is a big part of why we had such a great couple of years as far as matchmaking goes. At the moment 147 is waiting for Thurman to recover from surgery and Danny Garcia to stop growing extra toes and start growing balls again.

Boxing doesn't need superstars. It just needs top fighters fighting against top fighters without abusing ppv. Which I prefer all day long to superstars like Canelo fighting chump and chump on ppv.

Anthony Joshua is a huge star in the UK. Wilder has huge potential, and he's slowly building fanfare in the US.

Amir Khan is pretty big, always in the headlines though recently more for non-boxing stuff. Expect huge fanfare when he returns to the ring next year after he's done with his reality show stuff.

Since you mentioned Pacquiao and numbers, I'm guessing you only look at PPV numbers. Well, boxing has been transitioning away from that nonsense and for the better. There's more fights on TV, and in the UK at least the attendances are bigger than ever. I've never been a fan of PPV.

GGG wasn't selling much PPVs either, but he's undoubtedly a huge star. Kovalev and Beterbiev have the same potential.

Another SHIT THREAD

Last edited by a moderator:
Canelo and Joshua are the biggest fighters in the world currently.

Id say thats enough stars.

Golovkin isn't a star. He's an attractive B side. A star is a guy like Floyd who can get a million people to pay to watch him fight Guerrero or Pac to fight Clottey.

Kubrat Pulev will live forever, hence so will boxing.

Speaking of potential stars. Where is the hell is Qullin? It's starting to look like Danny ended his career. He was one of my picks for the next big thing. His last fight was back in Sept. against the ultimate soft touch.

Speaking of potential stars. Where is the hell is Qullin? It's starting to look like Danny ended his career. He was one of my picks for the next big thing. His last fight was back in Sept. against the ultimate soft touch.

He won a decision this year. We'll see what his next move is. Jacobs may have made him lose a step forever, though.

If you can do stadiums,you are a star. Fuck your outdated definition of a star.

Last time I've check, Canelo is 27.

Boxing has three young, talented fighters from 3 different continents that are or could be potential legit stars in the sport and we're only taking hw. Ppl might have an issue putting Parker in there, but he's still undefeated and can mix it up with the higher echelons of the division. AJ is HUGE in the UK and Wilder is getting bigger and bigger name recognition among casuals every time he fights.

We're only talking about one division here, but after all hw is by far the most important division to casuals. Not to mention a guy like Spence who can be a huge star based on his style alone, and is still very young in the game. Thurman can fight, has a mouth on him, and has been in some really good fights on network television recently.

Loma has a lot of fanfare and fought on espn last time out and will fight Rigo next month on espn directly following the Heisman's. Also Bud Crawford is already a damned good and accomplished fighter who's a budding star in the sport.

There's a lot of guys out there who are already getting a lot of name recognition and several others who are getting more and more everytime they step into the ring. And if nobody becomes the next Pac or Floy then who gives a shit.

All these queers whining about how boxing is dying, there's no stars, etc., have been doing so for decades. they died, you will die, and boxing will live on, b/c boxing is fucking awesome and there's no stopping awesomeness.

I rest my case.

In the may/pac sense, no. But i dont care. I like punching faces even if my friends dont.

He almost got KO'd by Conor's sparring partner in his last fight.

Golovkin isn't a star. He's an attractive B side. A star is a guy like Floyd who can get a million people to pay to watch him fight Guerrero or Pac to fight Clottey.

That only leaves like 5 guys in boxing history that can be considered "stars" though.

Who's left really? I love Kovalev, Lemieux, Thurman, Saunders, Lomanchenko and Chocolatito but I wouldn't say any of those dudes are "stars". Joshua has a big following in England, but no one on this side of the pond know's who he is, and the same could be said for the other big heavies (Wilder, Ortiz).

Nobody "loves" Saunders unless they're trolling. That sentiment doesn't just exist here it's everywhere. We have at least one member in this forum that's a reg and part of the traveller community and he thinks Saunders is a disgrace (because he is). Most here will "love" Lemieux if he knocks Saunders spark out 3 weeks from now. The feeling will last a good day or two, probably. You're also wrong about "no one" outside of the UK knowing who Joshua is. And Wilder is known in America but not like he could be. His profile is still growing from fight to fight. When he inevitably has his Heavyweight showdown with Joshua it will make them both much more well known worldwide particularly if they have a great fight. Good chemistry in the ring is a recipe for an action-packed fight and neither are afraid to throw. That's the fight to make in the Heavyweight division and we'll be getting it likely sooner than later because the demand is already there right now.

It's further out, but, the Canelo-GGG rematch isn't a "big" fight? It'll be even bigger than their first meeting. Oscar just said a week ago that they're still (logically) looking at Cinco de Mayo as the target date. At the latest it'll take place in mid September for Mexican Independence Day. Pac could be fighting Conor relatively soon. Hardcores aren't likely to care about that fight, if it happens, but casuals will just like they did with May-Mac. Conor will talk a big game as usual, mention his huge size advantage over Pac, and generate interest & intrigue in the mere possibility of him pulling off the upset.

There's a lot that could be discussed for 2018 but you haven't posted in your thread since you made it. You're probably a troll that shouldn't have been fed in the first place.

Back