Organizing MMA event

G

GOATweight

This is a question for anyone with experience in organizing a MMA event:

I want to organize a small MMA event and would like to know what I need and how much it will cost me.

What I have come up so far with:

- Cage/ring setup & breakdown (by hired crew)
- Camera crew + production + equipment
- Fighters
- Ring girls
- Security
- Catering
- Medical crew
- Ring announcer
- Cutmen

Making a calculation, I am coming up at around 100-150K total cost in Euros (event would be in Europe, as I am most familiar with that market).

Anyone with experience that can shine some light on this and make corrections? Also, if you know any companies in Europe (preferably in the BeNeLux) that can help out with such an event, would be very appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
how big of a card and venue were you thinking

how big of a card and venue were you thinking
Just a local show. This will be the first time for me to organize such an event. Wanted to get some information on the web before I talk to some local promoters.

Any insight would be appreciated regarding what is necessary to have for the event and the costs related to it.

Lawyers.

Insurance - they will probably advise what else expected including licenses(?). Different kinds of insurance like liability but even if event sudden cancellation can help absorb some sunk costs.

Ring Matt & pads - Sponsorship. Hopefully this pays for the setup and creation.

Don't do it. I've been in this industry long enough to see this too many times. Use the money to build a brand and sponsor fighters.

Have you done a business plan? It will force you to do proper research (rather than a check-list) and look at all aspects.

Also, you didn't list any event sponsors or make mafia connections.

This is an esoteric exercise that is simple but risky.

You can however reduce that risk by getting corporate sponsorship and running it as a charity. Fly me over at least 4 mths from the event and I'll partner with you.

Check out the PFL event in Everett recently. They have a free stream on their website. Guessing you would want to do something similar but break even. Production was decent. Tachi Palace fights another low budget but entertaining venue.

Consider your fighters and get some strikers vs grapplers , avoid expensive grapplers like Shields. One sort of big name, affordable , should be enough with locals drawing friends, family.

The charity event probably one of the better ideas to get some free stuff so you can break even. Open up your business plan / budget so others can learn.

Are there any MMA franchises ?
Maybe one of the established promotions might co-sponsor. Depends on your goals.

I promoted alternative/rock/punk concerts in college as a very modest income but mainly broke even. Good experience. Learned I could not make a living doing it.

P.s. Hope you share some of your discoveries. Mainly curious but would be nice if more small events could help grow the industry .

Watch out if you get sponsors for the event. They will take the money and dip and then you have a bunch of pissed off fighters.

Make sure its your money in your bank account

I suggest not paying fighters, paying fighters is a silly tradition,

Fighters in the Benelux region are looking for fights and opportunities, you can act classy by telling them that if they win they are going to the UFC

try targeting Muscular looking Black French guys

Production is very cheap if you have someone that knows how to place cameras, Audio/visual can cost as little as 2-3k

You can live stream for very little cost to you <100 Euros, the more poeple watching the stream the more future income, expect the stream to fail so have a backup stream

Venue/Arena costs/execution are you biggest problem, this is a money drain and can ruin your whole event

Ring girls, again, you don't have to pay them, it's work experience in modelling that they should be happy to have given to them, You can even live stream an audition to create some hype

If you are gonna pay a fighter money I suggest you find a freakshow to invest in, a local celebrety for example

Running a succesfull MMA event is like running a circus, you don't need to spend a lot of money but you need a lot of know how and know where to find the freakshows

Also hype, hype, hype your product on forums and MMA sites, it's free and creates a chain reaction, do not pay for advertising and make others do most of the work

Always remember that if things start to cost too much and you cannot pay anyone that you were just trying to give the fighters an opportunity and it's not your fault

also

- Location - pick a place people that costs nothing, go watch pro wrestling shows, talk to them, they will set you up with a cheap and easy arena
and provide you with guidance, those guys know a lot about this kind of thing
- Cage/ring setup & breakdown (by hired crew) - can't you use a ring? much easier
- Camera crew + production + equipment - suggest you find someone that can do this cheap and easy
- Fighters - free except for freakshows/main attractions
- Ring girls - free, local tallent. they don't need to have straight legs but no more than 8 tattoes
- Security - what?
- Catering - a fries and cola stand cannot cost too much, they can get tanked a nearby bar
- Medical crew - Fighter gyms have an abunance of experience in this, let them handle it
- Ring announcer - get someone that doesn't normally do fights, trust me
- Cutmen - Fighter gyms have an abunance of experience in this, let them handle it

suggest you get in touch with your local pro wrestling scene and get their help

also

- Location - pick a place people that costs nothing, go watch pro wrestling shows, talk to them, they will set you up with a cheap and easy arena
and provide you with guidance, those guys know a lot about this kind of thing

-LOL

- suggest you find someone that can do this cheap and easy
- Fighters - free except for freakshows/main attractions
- Ring girls - free, local tallent. they don't need to have straight legs but no more than 8 tattoes
- Security - what?
- Catering - a fries and cola stand cannot cost too much, they can get tanked a nearby bar
- Medical crew - Fighter gyms have an abunance of experience in this, let them handle it
- Ring announcer - get someone that doesn't normally do fights, trust me
- Cutmen - Fighter gyms have an abunance of experience in this, let them handle it

suggest you get in touch with your local pro wrestling scene and get their help

Disregard the above. No one wants to be offered crack in the parking lot.

Security will likely be required by venue and recommended by lawyers. I did small college concerts and was forced to pay over time uniformed officers. You can probably hire security services cheaper but you should have a visible presence. Make sure not a gang magnet but even drunks need to be dealt with.

Find out how not to be sued for negligence thus need a lawyer and maybe a LLC.

I suggest not paying fighters, paying fighters is a silly tradition,

Fighters in the Benelux region are looking for fights and opportunities, you can act classy by telling them that if they win they are going to the UFC

try targeting Muscular looking Black French guys

Production is very cheap if you have someone that knows how to place cameras, Audio/visual can cost as little as 2-3k

You can live stream for very little cost to you <100 Euros, the more poeple watching the stream the more future income, expect the stream to fail so have a backup stream

Venue/Arena costs/execution are you biggest problem, this is a money drain and can ruin your whole event

Ring girls, again, you don't have to pay them, it's work experience in modelling that they should be happy to have given to them, You can even live stream an audition to create some hype

If you are gonna pay a fighter money I suggest you find a freakshow to invest in, a local celebrety for example

Running a succesfull MMA event is like running a circus, you don't need to spend a lot of money but you need a lot of know how and know where to find the freakshows

Also hype, hype, hype your product on forums and MMA sites, it's free and creates a chain reaction, do not pay for advertising and make others do most of the work

Always remember that if things start to cost too much and you cannot pay anyone that you were just trying to give the fighters an opportunity and it's not your fault

Can you guide me through the step by step on how to start MMA bouts here in Nigeria, Africa

skip ring girls to start with, for real!

Yeah I feel like you need a good long list of sponsors. I have been at a few event myself and some of my friends are working in companies that organize these types of events. I have seen all those hassles and all those permissions and sponsors and caterers and everything that is part of an event like that. My friend works in a event planning company and he provided a sound system hire fro some of these events. It remember I helped them with the logistics and stuff and I was really impressed with the way they coordinate the whole thing. They are super professional and as a spectator I really enjoyed the whole thing. Everything went very smoothly and since there were no technical glitches we were able to concentrate on the main event. I honestly wish they would allow people to gather again soon. I miss the excitement of an event

Last edited:
In the states you have to have your show licensed with the state it’s held in. This means paying a commission to be present for the event, licensing fees, a Whole host of stuff like that.

Back