Open Rolling when you're first starting out

Kenjamito

Freakin Covid
@Blue
Reaction score
You don't know any moves, it's like you're trying to posture and wait to inevitably be tapped out or fight them off long enough for the round to end. How important is this open rolling when you're new? I have been taking an instructor aside and asking him to teach me a move whenever they are free instead.

The above is correct. If you have no chance of winning take victories in the small things. Like "Ok they swept me easily last time, now my balance is better and they had to work harder for it"

And a huge part of JJ is staying calm during the pressure. Take this as an oppurtunity to condition yourself, and being relaxed while in discomfort etc.

Just take whatever techniques you learn, and try to find someway of applying them to your roll. It takes a lot of time to become comfortable as when you first start, you're like 'lol, what is this'

Just roll. You'll be learning so much every time you step onto the mats. (though it prolly won't feel like it. heh heh.) Watch videos, think about how you got tapped out, or swept, or controlled. Analyze your game. Fill your life with jiujitsu and roll man!

Just start by counting the minutes till U get tapped. Work on your defensive game. Once you see stuff starting to develop you can look for counters.

Depends on what your background is, I had years of standing grappling so my Ukemi was much better than even the chief instructors. They had a hell of a time getting me to the ground but once there I knew I was toast, but I'd work on defense to neutralize their offense.

Do both, if you have a high level belt who'll teach you shit or refine class techniques, do that by all means. But you need to roll and get use to the pressure of full resistance.

Drill'n'kill!

Drill for superior technique and then kill it out in your rolls with those refinements.

Just roll and try to survive, if you don't get tapped, that's positive, otherwise learn from it.

You don't know any moves, it's like you're trying to posture and wait to inevitably be tapped out or fight them off long enough for the round to end. How important is this open rolling when you're new? I have been taking an instructor aside and asking him to teach me a move whenever they are free instead.

Situational rolling would be better for you. Just ask your rolling partner to work on specific positions that he just learnt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back