One weightlifting training per week for beginner

kiux

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello. I started to train in freestyle wrestling as amateur for two times per week and I want to add something as third training. I have low weight (height 178/ weight 60). Is it good idea to add one (olympic) weightlifting training per week? Or maybe it's too rarely? Maybe it's better to train third time at home (jogging, burpees, pull ups, push ups, some exercises from wrestling trainings and etc)? Or add two weightlifting trainings per week? What option is the best?

What are your goals?

Why weightlifting and not general strength training?

Lifting can work once a week but In my opinion twice a week is better

Good advice. Once per week allows too much time off. 2 times per week minimum.

TS: Also, as a beginner, 3 times per week works too.

-T

I don't think it's a great idea. Weightlifting is really technical. It takes a lot of practice to get good enough at it to lift heavy weight. Once a week isn't really enough to learn the lifts. So you'll be be doing it completely wrong or not moving any real weight, or both.

If you want to get stronger in the short-ish term, just do the basic barbell lifts.

More than once a week would be better too.

You can make some semi-decent progress on the olympic lifts once a week. Enough to pick up the absolute basics within a few months and be at the stage where you can train on your own safely, if not well enough to progress to a competitive level. Why oly lifting though? If I wanted to be bigger for wrestling I would do conventional lifts and lots of them.

What are your goals?
My personal wish - become bigger and stronger.
But maybe it is more important for novice to improve endurance (for example build aerobic endurance with rowing/swimming first).

If you want to become bigger and stronger than you lifting should be based around squat, bench and/or overhead press and deadlift. You can obviously add in other things as well but those lifts should make up the majority of your lifting.

If you still want to do some Olympic lifting then add in some power cleans to.

Don't want to create new thread so ask here.
If you want to become bigger and stronger
Yes, I want, but it is my personal wish. But maybe it's methodologically correct to train aerobic endurance (with jogging, rowing etc) first? Or it's ok to start with barbell training as additional workouts?

There's no need to do aerobic work prior to starting strength training. Both will benefit you as a wrestler though, and ideally, as a wrestler, you'd be regularly doing both strength and conditioning training.

The olympic lifts would train qualities that are beneficial in wrestling. However, they take time, and technical work, and ideally coaching, to really pay dividends with regards to athletic development. There are other ways to develop the athletic qualities developed by the olympic lifts, and could work better with the goal of gaining size.

For your height, you are very light, especially for the sport of wrestling. So gaining weight (eating more), while doing strength training would be a very good idea.

I would strongly suggest reading both FAQs, and choosing a beginner routine.

I'm curious about this too as i have a busy schedule. I do 3 days karate and 2 days tkd, is lifting once a week enough ?

Enough for what? You can make some initial progress lifting once a week, but at some point, you'll need more frequent stimulus to continue to make progress. What that point is for you in particular, no one can say.

Im going to go against the grain here me thinks.

Week 1
Squats 3x5
Deadliftx1x5
Bench 3x5
Press lighter 85% of your working weigt for 3x5(rotate heavy benches and presses each week)
Powercleans 5x3

You might find that you need another light day workout for the squats

That program above worked for my cousin for several months(then of course he abrubtply stopped lifting because hes a quitter)
Good luck

^ That reminds me a lot like WSBB4SB V3

Back