One thing that I appreciate about these grappling matches in One FC

Might be the athlete more than the promotion.

The Ruotolo boys and Mikey are always like this. Danielle Kelly too.

BJJ tournaments could benefit from the more aggressive stalling penalties of ADCC (mostly in standup), but One goes out of their way to curate exciting grapplers.

Might be the athlete more than the promotion.

The Ruotolo boys and Mikey are always like this. Danielle Kelly too.

BJJ tournaments could benefit from the more aggressive stalling penalties of ADCC (mostly in standup), but One goes out of their way to curate exciting grapplers.
I think the 50k$ bonuses play a huge part.

I agree that it is the atheles. Of course anyone can have a boring match, but the Ruotolos, Mikey, Tommy Langaker, etc are known for attacking. The bonuses help of course, but I think ONEfc and WNO are helping things by showing that you aren't going to get any pro work edging people out on decisions. I'm pretty sure Roberto Jimenez can ask for more money than Jonatha Alves despite having a worse record.

I wondered if it helped by bringing in guys from other sports to be ONE's sacrificial lambs.

But then I remembered Schaub v Cyborg.

I wondered if it helped by bringing in guys from other sports to be ONE's sacrificial lambs.

But then I remembered Schaub v Cyborg.

I think that is part of it, but IMO that isn't a bad thing. They seem to try to mix some easy matches in with real comp to build the fighters up. The Sambo guy Mikey fought was obviously a sacrifice, but Osama is the current Nogi champ at Mikey's weight and Cleber Souza is the last person to beat Mikey at his weight. The same could be said with the Ruotolos and random Sambo guys mixed with Gary Tonon.

Competiton is important, but if you want to build names you need highlight reels. I think ONEfc is doing things right except for their exclusive contracts.

Back