One of my recent matches ,feedback welcome

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys , I'm 3 years into my blue belt.l and have good success at competitions. I haven't managed a submission for some time however , but I'm happy enough with my control .

Please have a look at the video below and provide any feedback , be as honest as you like as I want to improve .

I really fucked up that back take , I was pretty gassed if I'm being honest and didn't want to give much space

Thanks in advance

You gotta stay off your knees so much particularly from top side control. If your trying to keep pressure on your opponent and control then your pressure should be coming from you driving into him off the balls of your feet with your hips low and turned to block. If your on your knees then all your weight and pressure is going into the ground instead of into him meaning he can stay comfortable and free to move/escape at will

Hi guys , I'm 3 years into my blue belt.l and have good success at competitions. I haven't managed a submission for some time however , but I'm happy enough with my control .

Please have a look at the video below and provide any feedback , be as honest as you like as I want to improve .

I really fucked up that back take , I was pretty gassed if I'm being honest and didn't want to give much space

Thanks in advance

You looked pretty good. If you want to start submitting more opponents then you need to start pressuring into your submissions in the same relentless way you've had success controlling the positions. For example, you seem to get to your opponent's head a lot, so a guillotine or darce will happen if you are willing to work for it. Start studying front headlock series that include things like japanese necktie, arm-in guillotine, short-arm darces.

You gotta stay off your knees so much particularly from top side control. If your trying to keep pressure on your opponent and control then your pressure should be coming from you driving into him off the balls of your feet with your hips low and turned to block. If your on your knees then all your weight and pressure is going into the ground instead of into him meaning he can stay comfortable and free to move/escape at will

Definitely noted , it's A bad habit of mine and I need to remember this . The problem I have most of the time is that I roll with bigger guys and I don't like to pressure too hard as I like to mobile , I often forget this against guys my own weight :)

You looked pretty good. If you want to start submitting more opponents then you need to start pressuring into your submissions in the same relentless way you've had success controlling the positions. For example, you seem to get to your opponent's head a lot, so a guillotine or darce will happen if you are willing to work for it. Start studying front headlock series that include things like japanese necktie, arm-in guillotine, short-arm darces.

I actually have a pretty good gullotine , however I really struggle with darces , arm in gullotine and neckties as my arms are pretty short .
You mentioned short arm darces ? Are they much differnt rom the standard darce ?

I agree with what you are saying I need a series of submissions in order to catch one , I often will rely on my favourite standard gullotine which I was catching a lot in white belt comps ,however in blue most guys know to defend this .

You won, so you're not doing that bad I'd say. If you want more submissions you need to attempt some. It seems like you didn't even try to submit you opponent. When you're in side control try kimura/americanas on your OPs arm. Most of the time it won't work, but it will give you opportunities to take their back, armbar, etc. One thing that helped me as a blue belt was to try to perfect subs from positions I often found myself in. Think of common reactions people have to your moves and work on counters to them. Instead of holding people in a position let them escape, but you control where they go. Be ready for them and use that to trap them in subs. Hope that helps.

You mentioned short arm darces ? Are they much differnt rom the standard darce ?

Rather than grabbing straight for your bicep, grab palm to palm. Use your free forearm to push the crown of their head. You want their chin smashing into their chest. Once you do that you can finish the choke by grabbing your forearm, if you're unable to reach all the way to your bicep.

Back