? on inhaling and bracing the core while lifting

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I watched a Chris Duffin video clip explaining on how to take a deep breath and then bracing the core before lifting heavy weights. I decided to give this method a shot and I was amaze on how much easier it made my lifting. My question, is this consider cheating or this a proper way of lifting heavy weights?

Definitely cheating. Oxygen is basically a PED.

I feel like breathing at all is cheating.

A real weight lifter doesn't rely on oxygen to achieve his goals.

Last edited:
It's usually considered proper lifting practice to do so.

It's called the Valsalva manuever. It's standard practice amongst lifters.

I learn something new today which probably means that I forgot something else in order for my brain to retain the new information.

Yeah but have you seen the FB or YouTube vids of people taking gulps of air? They get into position, take a massive open mouth gulp of air, the bar shifts up higher on their back, and they wonder why they can stop from leaning forward, or simply don't care that they are. Chris Duffin does a good job at explaining the feeling you should have when breathing. Its not just taking big gulps...

a deep breath gives you stability in your mid section, stability makes your lift safer

The fed I'm a part of doesn't allow breathing. Not that I'd criticize a guy who breathes, if that's their thing. And I don't consider it "cheating" per se, because it's allowed in their rules. But to me, if you're going to breathe, it's definitely going to give you an unfair advantage over people who choose not to breathe, so you should take that into consideration when stating your maxes.

I watched a Chris Duffin video clip explaining on how to take a deep breath and then bracing the core before lifting heavy weights. I decided to give this method a shot and I was amaze on how much easier it made my lifting. My question, is this consider cheating or this a proper way of lifting heavy weights?

Seriously though, I find it hard to believe that you'd know who Chris Duffin is, but not already be familiar with the concept of intra-abdominal pressure.

You have high blood pressure?
This is a valid concern. I consciously avoid the valsalva maneuver due to systolic blood pressure concerns. It's a personal issue and for regular healthy lifters it's not a big deal.

Why would it be considered cheating? Coincidentally I just watched that video again last night.

This is a valid concern. I consciously avoid the valsalva maneuver due to systolic blood pressure concerns. It's a personal issue and for regular healthy lifters it's not a big deal.

I was basically coming in to say this. If you have high blood pressure, an aneurysm, history of fainting or anything like that, it is best to play around with the valsalva maneuver at lower intensities. As you progress you should be able to work with it.

On that note: the amount of cases of medical emergencies due to valsalva maneuver are quite low? non-significant?

Seriously though, I find it hard to believe that you'd know who Chris Duffin is, but not already be familiar with the concept of intra-abdominal pressure.

I initially heard about Chris Duffin when I discovered one of his product, the ShoulderRom since I was looking for a shoulder mobility tool for boxing. Then I eventually started watching his YouTube videos and eventually discovered this very topic. Now I have seen power lifter used this method before but never gave much importance on why they use it since I mostly impressed on much weight they can lift.

I was basically coming in to say this. If you have high blood pressure, an aneurysm, history of fainting or anything like that, it is best to play around with the valsalva maneuver at lower intensities. As you progress you should be able to work with it.

On that note: the amount of cases of medical emergencies due to valsalva maneuver are quite low? non-significant?

I hear shuffleboard is a fun sport. I mean, if you have an aneurysm, I'm not sure the heavy squats and deadlifts are the thing.

Anyway, for the TS: Yes, intra-abdominal pressure and bracing the core are important cues for heavy lifts.

I hear shuffleboard is a fun sport. I mean, if you have an aneurysm, I'm not sure the heavy squats and deadlifts are the thing.

Anyway, for the TS: Yes, intra-abdominal pressure and bracing the core are important cues for heavy lifts.

I don't even know know what shuffle board is.

Screen-Shot-2014-07-25-at-8.55.10-AM.png

Back