? on HIIT

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
When it comes to weight training, the common consensus that you don't always train to failure. However, can this apply to HIIT? So for example, lets say you can sprint 400m for 8 times, but instead you sprint it 6 times. Would this be a better approach far as improving your conditioning or is it best to go all out?

It would depend on your training goal, and what you are conditioning for. That said, in the majority of endurance sports, even ones with relatively short time intervals like rowing, about 80 percent of total training is going to be extremely far away from maximal effort. You'll simply sum up too much fatigue to present overload if you routinely red line for an extended period of time. Shorter blocks (say 2-3 weeks) may be an exception to the rule.

For example in the Tabata study, subjects progressed very quickly at the beginning in the test group, but mostly stalled out after the 3 or 4th week, whereas the steady state group continued to make small improvements throughout the entire study. It simply would not have been possible for the test group subjects to continue overload by training any harder than they were already.

I have another question for you since I learn a lot from you, badger, and Sano (there are couple more people, but I can't remember their names). Will strength training such as squats and deadlift help maintain your type II muscle fibers while working on your low intensity conditioning?

Why not do this...

1. Get stronger.
2. Do your HIIT
3. Run or row or jog or swim and shit, LISS
4. Eat well
5. Sleep well
6. Love well
7. Enjoy life

and not worry about what type of muscles are firing? I read on the other forum something to the effect of EliteFTS forums being jammed with overthinking , lifting while injured and the like. people need to listen to Steve Pulcinella a little more, I think.

Anyway, I'm sorry for badgering, carry on bros!

I have another question for you since I learn a lot from you, badger, and Sano (there are couple more people, but I can't remember their names). Will strength training such as squats and deadlift help maintain your type II muscle fibers while working on your low intensity conditioning?

There is no reason it shouldnt so long as its not all on the same day (concurrent training tends to interfere with one modality). Usually anyway via TSC 1/2.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...and_the_Role_of_Individual_Training_Variables

So long as you are training heavy and with quality intensity (power and speed) and do your conditioning on opposite days it should be fine.
Peds aside take a look a rugby players. Great conditioning and maximal power on a whim with good muscle mass.
Their training involves a lot of squats, power movements, sled pulls and drags and a boat load of running at varying intensities.

People put too much emphasis on over-recovery rather than doing shit. Your body can handle a lot even on the same day, but if you have a major focus its best to split up the tasks generally.

Last edited:
There is no reason it shouldnt so long as its not all on the same day (concurrent training tends to interfere with one modality). Usually anyway via TSC 1/2.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...and_the_Role_of_Individual_Training_Variables

So long as you are training heavy and with quality intensity (power and speed) and do your conditioning on opposite days it should be fine.
Peds aside take a look a rugby players. Great conditioning and maximal power on a whim with good muscle mass.
Their training involves a lot of squats, power movements, sled pulls and drags and a boat load of running at varying intensities.

People put too much emphasis on over-recovery rather than doing shit. Your body can handle a lot even on the same day, but if you have a major focus its best to split up the tasks generally.

And a lot of those Rugby players aren't even respecting what you could consider best practices of concurrent training. (The timing stuff I feel like is probably about 10-15 percent of the puzzle as far as the molecular pathways)

Which is all to say that preserving those fibers should be very doable.

To target FT fibers, you basically just need to either
a) Move heavy things
b) move things very very fast or
c) put on blood flow restriction and suffer

Back