Old school TMA mentality/Jiujitsu

MaxMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a long time Jiujitsu pracitioner and Pro MMA fighter. I was recently propositioned by a TKD academy to start and instruct a Jiujitsu program in their facilty. I've known the owner/head coach for a while and have no personal problems, however he comes from that old school TMA mentality(I'd tear your nuts off if you tried that ground wizardry on me, train of thought) and wants me to run my jitz class in a traditional style(yessir no sir, Bowing to get on the mats, charging for belt tests). Which I actually have no problem with.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience training/instructing grappling alongside a TMA program. I'm currently a student of his TKD program, which I really like. Just wondering about any possible friction from this setup.

I can't offer much advice outside of general coaching, but this thread should be a funny read.

I started teaching at a JKD school (taking over for a buddy as he tore his ACL) this past week. I teach it like a normal BJJ program, the owner of the JKD school is actually the main student.

I try to focus more on self defense stuff instead so far, but it is working well.

I followed the black belt I'm belted under to a Krav Maga school for a few years. It was a weird dynamics but we ran our side like a bjj program. The head guy would sometimes get angry and try and implement some weird TMA stuff in us. We would do it for a week then we were back to fist bumping and bro hugging. We did bow on and off the mat as a sign of respect.

We finally left that shithole and are at a pure bjj place now.

As to the TS. I think you should be fine. Do as the head guy wants. People will start to get addicted to that bjj way.

I'm a long time Jiujitsu pracitioner and Pro MMA fighter. I was recently propositioned by a TKD academy to start and instruct a Jiujitsu program in their facilty. I've known the owner/head coach for a while and have no personal problems, however he comes from that old school TMA mentality(I'd tear your nuts off if you tried that ground wizardry on me, train of thought) and wants me to run my jitz class in a traditional style(yessir no sir, Bowing to get on the mats, charging for belt tests). Which I actually have no problem with.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience training/instructing grappling alongside a TMA program. I'm currently a student of his TKD program, which I really like. Just wondering about any possible friction from this setup.

I have been to two gyms where this happened. An uptight martial arts business owner realizes a grappling class would bring in customers and so adds a grappling class/ turns the place into a uptight bJJ academy . In the first instance my judo coach who I respected a lot ended up leaving because he knew more about grappling than the owners who had become gracie acadamy blue belts. . I left afterward. The second instance had less tension but I didn't like the fact that my judo coaches were volunteers and the check went to the owner who was rather unpleasant.

The gym I go to now is run by competitive and "modern" BJJ black belts and I like it a lot.

Charging for a belt test seems really lame. I don't mind having a test or bowing as it is part of judo but it seems to me most BJJ practitioners and gyms prefer not to do that.

Now that the plausible deniability of MMA and BJJ is mostly Impossible, I've increasingly noticed TMA instructors signing up for BJJ with stated purposes like "I just need to round out my ground game." I'm generalizing, but the ones I've trained with seem to have an expectation that they will just pick up a few deadly ground skills and go back to being a street lethal grandmaster. They don't seem to train hard or last long.

I don't think you should associate yourself with any TMA nut jobs. Those nut jobs thinks that nut grabbing shit works once you got them in a dominant position. I was challenged by a TKD black belt guy before. That numb nut wanted to prove my wrestling/grappling won't work if he's allowed to attack my nuts. So I said how about this, I take your back and put you in a rear naked choke position, and you're allowed to do whatever you want on the count of 3. He said as soon as he hit my nuts, i'll let go. So I said fine, let's do this. I count to 3 and I start choking. So there, I choked him while he's grabbing my nuts. It actually made me more angry and I choked him harder and he passed out. I end up with sore nuts for a few minutes, but he ended up being unconcious. Never try to do dirty shits when your opponent is in a dominant position. It will make them even more angry and they'll stomp on your head while you're unconcious. Learn how to escape properly first.

People that has that stupid TMA mentality have a huge ego problem. Those are the same idiots that's out of shape, demands to be called "master", or "sir", or whatever the fuck they want to be called. And their Facebook name or email address is Sensei John, Sifu Jim, Grandmaster Ben, or whatever. F**k them. 99.9% of those dumb asses are weak as hell and can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

By the way, charging for belt tests is absolutely STUPID and RETARDED!!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't think you should associate yourself with any TMA nut jobs. Those nut jobs thinks that nut grabbing shit works once you got them in a dominant position. I was challenged by a TKD black belt guy before. That numb nut wanted to prove my wrestling/grappling won't work if he's allowed to attack my nuts. So I said how about this, I take your back and put you in a rear naked choke position, and you're allowed to do whatever you want on the count of 3. He said as soon as he hit my nuts, i'll let go. So I said fine, let's do this. I count to 3 and I start choking. So there, I choked him while he's grabbing my nuts. It actually made me more angry and I choked him harder and he passed out. I end up with sore nuts for a few minutes, but he ended up being unconcious. Never try to do dirty shits when your opponent is in a dominant position. It will make them even more angry and they'll stomp on your head while you're unconcious. Learn how to escape properly first.

People that has that stupid TMA mentality have a huge ego problem. Those are the same idiots that's out of shape, demands to be called "master", or "sir", or whatever the fuck they want to be called. And their Facebook name or email address is Sensei John, Sifu Jim, Grandmaster Ben, or whatever. F**k them. 99.9% of those dumb asses are weak as hell and can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

By the way, charging for belt tests is absolutely STUPID and RETARDED!!!!!!
I'm not going to lie, when I first hooked up with this gym I had a fighters chip on my shoulder and laughed under my breath at a lot of the things they did. However I wanted to learn Taekwondo, so I put my ego aside, dawned a TKD white belt and went to work.
Are there useless things that are taught in TKD? Absolutely, but 90% of our class time is spent on leg/kick development and footwork, and I'm reaping the benefits of this style that many other fighters will not, simply because they think TKD is "bullshit for soccer kids" and are not willing to adhere to a TMA instructors program.
I was also originally against the charging for belts, but It is a business after all. If the school isn't earning any $$ no one gets to train.

Now that the plausible deniability of MMA and BJJ is mostly Impossible, I've increasingly noticed TMA instructors signing up for BJJ with stated purposes like "I just need to round out my ground game." I'm generalizing, but the ones I've trained with seem to have an expectation that they will just pick up a few deadly ground skills and go back to being a street lethal grandmaster. They don't seem to train hard or last long.
Lofl! You have this situation pegged almost exactly. Ground skills aren't being taught in this facility already because "They only know techniques that are illegal in grappling comps/MMA fights."

I'm not going to lie, when I first hooked up with this gym I had a fighters chip on my shoulder and laughed under my breath at a lot of the things they did. However I wanted to learn Taekwondo, so I put my ego aside, dawned a TKD white belt and went to work.
Are there useless things that are taught in TKD? Absolutely, but 90% of our class time is spent on leg/kick development and footwork, and I'm reaping the benefits of this style that many other fighters will not, simply because they think TKD is "bullshit for soccer kids" and are not willing to adhere to a TMA instructors program.
I was also originally against the charging for belts, but It is a business after all. If the school isn't earning any $$ no one gets to train.
Exactly dude! My time in TKD made my footwork and mobility explode not to mention the flexibility in my hips and hamstrings.

I'm to old to have done pure MMA, but 2 years in amateur Kickboxing with some heavy Muay Thai type Dutch guys really proved how valuable the TKD timing and distance is plus stepped up my hands as I progressed.

....Next do some lineage Judo to complement that BJJ and u'll b beast of epic proportion.

Found this GIF the other day of Harai Goshi in MMA!

giphy.gif

Back