Oklahoma to use gas instead of lethal injection

Based on the laws with very strict instructions, limited room for interpretation, where the government decides what evidence and arguments are admissible to the court room.

Again, I don't mean to shit on juries. They are great. It is the best part of democracy. But lets not pretend that juries aren't controlled by the government in almost every way possible, while not holding a gun to their heads (figuratively).

Let's also not pretend that money doesn't buy platinum citizenship in a court room with elite legal defense that can trump even the assets of the state. While on the other end, someone with no resources may end up with a public defender representing 60 different clients in a month.

My impression was that the rules of evidence tended to favor the defendants. As for laws coming from the government, that's just how the game goes. A 1/12 chance of some moral person standing up for you is about as good as it gets.

I think most murderers do deserve to die. If you take a life then you've got little argument that your's is of particular value. Euthanasia notwithstanding. So if there is zero doubt (like this Florida kid Cruz) then I've zero qualms. It saves the public of having to ask who amongst us has the fortitude to carry out justice.

My impression was that the rules of evidence tended to favor the defendants. As for laws coming from the government, that's just how the game goes. A 1/12 chance of some moral person standing up for you is about as good as it gets.

I think most murderers do deserve to die. If you take a life then you've got little argument that your's is of particular value. Euthanasia notwithstanding. So if there is zero doubt (like this Florida kid Cruz) then I've zero qualms. It saves the public of having to ask who amongst us has the fortitude to carry out justice.

Do you think the rules of evidence would favor Edward snowden?

How is justice denied by life in prison over the death penalty?

Also, what is really worse, I guy visously stabs 3 people to death in drugs, or through institutional fraud, millions of people lose their homes, and committed suicide?

What was really in need of greater justice?

I mean when we start talking about hanging bankers, I will be more open to death penalty arguments again.

Do you think the rules of evidence would favor Edward snowden?

How is justice denied by life in prison over the death penalty?

Snowden did it. The only question is a matter of sympathy (through judicial precedent or jury nullification). If I'm one of twelve it's not guilty. He exposed government crime. I'd like to think I'm far from alone on that.

You murder a bunch of people and injure many others trying to murder them and you deserve death. Presuming of course there is any validity to the concept of deserving. If there isn't, then morality exits the system altogether.

Also, what is really worse, I guy visously stabs 3 people to death in drugs, or through institutional fraud, millions of people lose their homes, and committed suicide?

What was really in need of greater justice?

I mean when we start talking about hanging bankers, I will be more open to death penalty arguments again.

Murder is worse. Dead people don't need homes and money. I'm also in favor of hanging people who defraud masses of people for high sums. Don't know the right cut-offs. Crooked politicians definitely need death on the table for the more egregious corruption.

Snowden did it. The only question is a matter of sympathy (through judicial precedent or jury nullification). If I'm one of twelve it's not guilty. He exposed government crime. I'd like to think I'm far from alone on that.

You murder a bunch of people and injure many others trying to murder them and you deserve death. Presuming of course there is any validity to the concept of deserving. If there isn't, then morality exits the system altogether.

The whole reason Snowdon won't return for trial, is because laws were created that would limit the scope of what the jury was allowed to consider to the point that his guilty verdict is all but a guranteed.

Murder is worse. Dead people don't need homes and money. I'm also in favor of hanging people who defraud masses of people for high sums. Don't know the right cut-offs. Crooked politicians definitely need death on the table for the more egregious corruption.

But that will never happen, without political revolution, because...."I don't know who wrote those laws they tied with a knot."

To start this off with I'm in favour of the death penalty however I am most definitely conflicted. I know that emotionally if someone did anything to my family or friends I would want them gone.

Having said that there are a lot of hurdles that reality throws at us. One is the point I raised earlier in the thread which suggests that 'justice' is actually harder to obtain with the death penalty:

As an interesting sidenote when I was at uni a lecturer who was originally pro-death penalty was tasked to do research on the other sides views and came back with this. Studies have shown that juries, knowing that the accused being found guilty is likely to result in a death sentence, are statistically less likely to find the accused guilty. This presumably means guilty people are being let off because juries do not want to feel morally responsible for the deaths.

Other problems are the extreme cost of the death penalty. Now it's easy to say 'don't worry about that, just give me the gun' but then you have the state taking the lives of its citizens which I would expect most right wing folks to be thoroughly against. Unfortunately there's a trade of achieving the best possible justice at the best possible price, and when taking a life the cost is extreme.

In your post you wrote: Most murderers do deserve to die. If the law reflected this the cost of any murder trial would skyrocket as, depending on how far this statement goes, no-one in their right mind will plead guilty to save the tax payers and the victims undue cost and stress and reliving the experience. I know it might seem like people are being let off but the cost to society, and the stress the victims might experience (especially if they go free at the end!) is worth a negotiated outcome.

Another part you wrote: So if there is zero doubt. The law is already 'beyond all reasonable doubt' which to me essentially means the same thing. The jury should be in essence of the opinion that there is therefore zero doubt within the bounds of reasonable plausible explanations.

Thirdly applications of the death penalty are fallible. A lot of times people are given intravenous injections in order to sedate them and these are frequently criminals with drug abuse problems so their veins are not easy to find. The injections are not given by doctors due to their Hippocratic oath to defend and preserve life. They are usually given by prison orderlies. Failed injections can result in chemical burns and a failure for the sedative to work properly and the next lethal injection can be unbearably painful to even watch. People are strapped down because they turn themselves almost inside out from the pain and the body contorting. If you believe in all aspects of the constitution you should be concerned about the cruel and unusual punishment being dealt to people. If you believe a bullet to the head is fine there will be psychiatric pain for those executing others. The reason it is done in such a 'cold' environment with minimal human interaction is to reduce the emotional burden of those doing the execution.

Finally mistakes happen, especially to males, to people of low income & wealth, to minority groups and to people with learning disabilities. We have to consider how many innocent lives the state is willing to take in order to institute capital punishment on its other worst offenders. And make no mistake about it, this is a sliding scale, a trade off, where the amount of money you pour into the system directly affects the number of people incorrectly murdered by the state. So if you make cheap executions you must accept that innocent people are dying. I consider this something that both the left and right should rally against, that the emotional response to heinous crimes can have a resulting cost to others.

All in all I know I take the emotional argument that 'these murderous criminal lives are a cancer on society and should be purged' but there is a cost to pay.

Last edited:
To start this off with I'm in favour of the death penalty however I am most definitely conflicted. I know that emotionally if someone did anything to my family or friends I would want them gone.

Having said that there are a lot of hurdles that reality throws at us. One is the point I raised earlier in the thread which suggests that 'justice' is actually harder to obtain with the death penalty:

As an interesting sidenote when I was at uni a lecturer who was originally pro-death penalty was tasked to do research on the other sides views and came back with this. Studies have shown that juries, knowing that the accused being found guilty is likely to result in a death sentence, are statistically less likely to find the accused guilty. This presumably means guilty people are being let off because juries do not want to feel morally responsible for the deaths.

Other problems are the extreme cost of the death penalty. Now it's easy to say 'don't worry about that, just give me the gun' but then you have the state taking the lives of its citizens which I would expect most right wing folks to be thoroughly against. Unfortunately there's a trade of achieving the best possible justice at the best possible price, and when taking a life the cost is extreme.

In your post you wrote: Most murderers do deserve to die. If the law reflected this the cost of any murder trial would skyrocket as, depending on how far this statement goes, no-one in their right mind will plead guilty to save the tax payers and the victims undue cost and stress and reliving the experience. I know it might seem like people are being let off but the cost to society, and the stress the victims might experience (especially if they go free at the end!) is worth a negotiated outcome.

Another part you wrote: So if there is zero doubt. The law is already 'beyond all reasonable doubt' which to me essentially means the same thing. The jury should be in essence of the opinion that there is therefore zero doubt within the bounds of reasonable plausible explanations.

Thirdly applications of the death penalty are fallible. A lot of times people are given intravenous injections in order to sedate them and these are frequently criminals with drug abuse problems so their veins are not easy to find. The injections are not given by doctors due to their Hippocratic oath to defend and preserve life. They are usually given by prison orderlies. Failed injections can result in chemical burns and a failure for the sedative to work properly and the next lethal injection can be unbearably painful to even watch. People are strapped down because they turn themselves almost inside out from the pain and the body contorting. If you believe in all aspects of the constitution you should be concerned about the cruel and unusual punishment being dealt to people. If you believe a bullet to the head is fine there will be psychiatric pain for those executing others. The reason it is done in such a 'cold' environment with minimal human interaction is to reduce the emotional burden of those doing the execution.

Finally mistakes happen, especially to males, to people of low income & wealth, to minority groups and to people with learning disabilities. We have to consider how many innocent lives the state is willing to take in order to institute capital punishment on its other worst offenders. And make no mistake about it, this is a sliding scale, a trade off, where the amount of money you pour into the system directly affects the number of people incorrectly murdered by the state. So if you make cheap executions you must accept that innocent people are dying. I consider this something that both the left and right should rally against, that the emotional response to heinous crimes can have a resulting cost to others.

All in all I know I take the emotional argument that 'these murderous criminal lives are a cancer on society and should be purged' but there is a cost to pay.

im squinting to read that. is that what people used to call books?

What was wrong with good old sparky? Very effective and got the point across. Inhuman? lol!!!! And the murders and rapes and whatnot were?

Give them all the chair!

<3>

Because of the recent turmoil with lethal injections.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/us/oklahoma-nitrogen-executions.html

But I have better idea. Instead of killing them why not build a town surrounded by walls à la Escape from NY and send all death row inmates there.

Once or twice a week make air drops with food and let them live their lives. Much better idea, much cheaper, no looking for veins and so on. If they want to live peacefully or kill each other then so be it.

Oklahoma is going Full Russian. Everyone knows you never go Full Russian.

Sounds good in theory, extraordinary difficult to implement in practice. Massive slippery slope about "zero doubt." Mens rea, insanity defenses, errors in handling of evidence that would seemingly be conclusive.

Then you'd have lawyers arguing over difference between "zero doubt" and "reasonable doubt" when people struggle to define what reasonable doubt is. Then we know that line will be blurred depending on the quality of your legal representation.

I appreciate the sentiment (I have it too), but wouldn't bother trying to put it into practice.

Yep, exactly this. EVERYONE, or most everyone, has that stance of narrow implementation to expedite justice for the worst of the worst, but it's unworkable.

At some point you have to be practical and FISCALLY responsible, which supposed conservatives just can't do. Like this Florida shooter: he's agreed to life without parole if the death penalty is taken off the table. That's a slam dunk for the citizenry, since his mental health issues and age would result in hundreds of thousands if not millions in appellate litigation to circumvent execution.

But fiscal conservatives would rather have the country's taxpayers pay out the nose (or proffer some similarly ignorant railroading of due proces, i.e. "just kill him") so that their reductive concept of justice can remain intact.

Can’t you guys just like toss them in a furnace or into a blender for some pigs to eat and shit out?

If they’re all about wanting to be buried in a casket then just toss them in alive.

The whole reason Snowdon won't return for trial, is because laws were created that would limit the scope of what the jury was allowed to consider to the point that his guilty verdict is all but a guranteed.

What key elements do you believe would be inadmissible?

I've always been conflicted too. So when I say most murderers deserve to die that's not the same as putting to death everyone convicted of murder. Hence my emphasis on being absolutely fucking certain. I think your side-note illustrates the need for judiciousness of application. If it's 100% certain the person did it, then at that point it becomes a scumbag jurist who won't provide justice. The moral person would not let a killer go free. Although of course you're gonna get some wing nuts. But that's life everywhere you turn.

Another part you wrote: So if there is zero doubt. The law is already 'beyond all reasonable doubt' which to me essentially means the same thing.

Not me.

Thirdly applications of the death penalty are fallible.

Separate issue that's easily remedied in a number of ways.

What key elements do you believe would be inadmissible?

I've always been conflicted too. So when I say most murderers deserve to die that's not the same as putting to death everyone convicted of murder. Hence my emphasis on being absolutely fucking certain. I think your side-note illustrates the need for judiciousness of application. If it's 100% certain the person did it, then at that point it becomes a scumbag jurist who won't provide justice. The moral person would not let a killer go free. Although of course you're gonna get some wing nuts. But that's life everywhere you turn.

Not me.

Separate issue that's easily remedied in a number of ways.

Snowden will not be able to make the case he’d like to make in court because, contrary to common sense, there is no public interest or whistleblower exception under the Espionage Act. In recent cases, prosecutors have convinced courts that the intent of the leaker, the value of leaks to the public, and the lack of harm caused by the leaks are irrelevant, and are therefore inadmissible in court.

This means Snowden would never be ableto tell the jury that his intent was not to help foreign countries or harm the U.S., but to inform the American public about the government’s secret interpretations of laws used to justify spying on millions of citizens without their knowledge.

https://freedom.press/news-advocacy...ot-receive-a-fair-trial-in-the-united-states/

Snowden will not be able to make the case he’d like to make in court because, contrary to common sense, there is no public interest or whistleblower exception under the Espionage Act. In recent cases, prosecutors have convinced courts that the intent of the leaker, the value of leaks to the public, and the lack of harm caused by the leaks are irrelevant, and are therefore inadmissible in court.

This means Snowden would never be ableto tell the jury that his intent was not to help foreign countries or harm the U.S., but to inform the American public about the government’s secret interpretations of laws used to justify spying on millions of citizens without their knowledge.

https://freedom.press/news-advocacy...ot-receive-a-fair-trial-in-the-united-states/

I'll let a lawyer weigh in, other than it seems pretty basic for the defendant to speak to their own motives. Not sure how that gets excluded, considering motive is oftentimes a point of contention.

Let them fight to the death winner I gets their freedom.

...until your wife, daughter, sister, etc., gets raped, tortured and killed. Than I think your views will change really fast.
appeal to emotion, not an argument.

Back