Oil Prices Set To Hit 150 Dollars A Barrel In Less Then Two Years According To Bernstein Research

In America, Hydroelectric power costs 60% less per kilowatt hour than Fossil fuels.
This is true. But it only works transmitting it over short distances (cost of transmission can easily become the dominant factor) so the benefit is local. You have to be near a major river to do it. That's why it only accounts for a small percentage of all electricity produced.

The point of this is we had over a decade to have made adjustments to our lifestyles such as driving smaller cars creating more alternative transportation options such as additional trains and buses. Changing our lifestyles such as commuting with others and saving more. These ideas do not need a nuclear power plant or electric cars mostly basic stuff could have reduced the demand even with cuts in supply and lack of new wells. Instead we let cheap oil and gas drive the demand for bigger trucks and more wasteful lifestyles. We are burning more oil then ever as OPEC cuts production to drive up costs and what has Washington done to curb our waste?

Is this a serious question?
Yes, you can't run nuclear power plants without prior electricity, so if your answer is simply nuclear power, that isn't possible without electricity to run the power plants, where does that power come from? Thin air?

, where does that power come from? Thin air?

330px-Shepherds_Flat_Wind_Farm_2011.jpg

The point of this is we had over a decade to have made adjustments to our lifestyles such as driving smaller cars creating more alternative transportation options such as additional trains and buses. Changing our lifestyles such as commuting with others and saving more. These ideas do not need a nuclear power plant or electric cars mostly basic stuff could have reduced the demand even with cuts in supply and lack of new wells. Instead we let cheap oil and gas drive the demand for bigger trucks and more wasteful lifestyles. We are burning more oil then ever as OPEC cuts production to drive up costs and what has Washington done to curb our waste?

waste ? Not every one wants a limp dick and a prius. Its consumer choice you commi, i drive what i want and pay of it. If it eats double the gas its my choice to drive it or not.

Also price goes up fracking become more economical and opec takes it up the ass, thats what Washington has done.

But i'm sure you are so noble you only take the bus or walk, and live a zero fossil fuel aided lifestyle.

How do you know some of those sources aren't cheaper? Do you have a study in mind?

In America, Hydroelectric power costs 60% less per kilowatt hour than Fossil fuels.
  • Hydropower is the most efficient way to generate electricity. Modern hydro turbines can convert as much as 90% of the available energy into electricity. The best fossil fuel plants are only about 50% efficient. (1)
  • In the U.S., hydropower is produced for an average of 0.85 cents per kilowatt-hour (kwh). This is about 50% the cost of nuclear, 40% the cost of fossil fuel, and 25% the cost of using natural gas.
http://www.wvic.com/Content/Facts_About_Hydropower.cfm

You don't understand what you are looking at. That is production cost. It doesn't include the actual cost of building the dam. It only is running expenses.

Natural gas combined cycle generation is on par with hydro and is dispatchable. You can't call on hydro if you don't have water built up.

Efficiency of newer combined cycle generation is above 60%. Older ones are still above 50%.

Natural gas is fossil fuel.

Cost per kwh for hydro, all inclusive cost, is about the same as natural gas combined cycle generation.
https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/pdf/electricity_generation.pdf

waste ? Not every one wants a limp dick and a prius. Its consumer choice you commi, i drive what i want and pay of it. If it eats double the gas its my choice to drive it or not.

Also price goes up fracking become more economical and opec takes it up the ass, thats what Washington has done.

But i'm sure you are so noble you only take the bus or walk, and live a zero fossil fuel aided lifestyle.

No but I reduced the size of cars I drive I used to own a sports car "3000GT" and a Tahoe got rid of both now drive a small SUV. I need the SUV because I have to tow construction waste from the houses I own and working on. Been driving smaller for years now without problems. I been predicting this coming collapse for 20 years even posting on Sherdog about it back in 2005. Economy is going to collapse because fuel is being controlled by a small group of people who could give to craps about peoples lives. I am fine you wanting to pay 180.00 or more for a fill-up but a lot of people who your hurting are going to hurt even more. This coming collapse is going to make you dream about the good old days of 2009.

Yes, you can't run nuclear power plants without prior electricity, so if your answer is simply nuclear power, that isn't possible without electricity to run the power plants, where does that power come from? Thin air?

You are aware electricity already exists right? You can power up a power plant from another plant?

This seems kinda obvious

Wind is viable in middle america without subsidies. It isn't dispatchable so you still need other forms of generation but it is viable. You see that purple shit on the map. That is prime real estate for wind generation. The only thing that is working against wind generation in the midwest is that electricity tends to be cheap in that region as well. Wind generation and renewable in general will usually see parity with other forms of generation in regions with high electrical rates. California's rates are 15 to 20 cents per kwh in large part to bad policies. Almost everything there is competitive including rooftop solar.

There is a limit to how much wind generation you can have without causing problems. California has issues with ramp rates. When the wind dies out, they are having issues with getting the other generation ramped up quick enough. ERCOT which covers most of Texas was seeing max ramp rates of 10 GW up and down in 10 minutes back in 2009 before they put policies to help limit ramp rates. Batteries can be used to help with frequency regulation since they can pull energy from or push energy into the grid very quickly but they are still very expensive.

US-WINDmap(1)_(1).jpg

This isn't a comment directly to just you, M4gatr0n but why does 99% of the population feel compelled to make comments about the energy industry without any frame of reference or research done? There is very few things more important to the economy than cheap energy. We start wars to maintain cheap energy. But the public never digs into it enough to understand it.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it used to be bernstien research.....

Looks like we'll just have to increase fracing operations and flood the market with natural gas like we did before.

Back