Official Women's Division Discussion #25

A joke that a featherweight that used to drain the shit of herself is having a chance to fight for a world title in her weight class? Ok

A joke that a featherweight that used to drain the shit of herself is having a chance to fight for a world title in her weight class? Ok

Absolutely correct. She was scheduled to fight at the PPV anyway as her UFC featherweight debut before the title fight was made available. The California commission had recommended she move up a weight class after her last fight.

I always watch a Nunes fight. If she gets Pennington I think it's well deserved for Rocky (and I'd be glad she's fully recovered).

I would love to see Rocky beat her. Pennington is awesome. Tough as nails. Love the mentality.

Hope she coached her fiance into somehow managing to pull a win off against Andrade as well.

Ufc mentioned Leah Letson in their website, so I wouldn’t be shocked if she got another fight on that card.

Looks like this coming Invicta card is complete. Looking forward to it.

3-24 Invicta FC 28 Salt Lake City
Virna Jandiroba vs. Janaisa Morandin (115 Title)
Milana Dudieva vs. Mizuki Inoue (115)
DeAnna Bennett vs. Karina Rodriguez (125)
Pearl Gonzales vs. Kali Robbins (115)
Minna Grusander vs. Fernanda Priscila (105)
Kat Schwartz vs. Kay Hansen (115)
Chelsea Chandler vs. Kerri Kenneson (135)
Jillian DeCoursey vs. Rebekah Levine (105)
Tracy Cortez vs. Kaytlin Neil (125)

--

With her most recent injury it was only a matter of time before Glena Avila would hang it up. Best of luck to her after her retirement fight.

It makes no sense for Nunes to fight at 224 against Rocky.

First, she already looks pretty thick now. It won't be an eazy weightcut to 135, and she would only have two months to gain the muscle back against Cyborg at 226.

Second, there is no ppv money from a fight against Rocky unless UFC books huge fight like Cain vs Werdum 2 at 224.

Third, Tecia and Nunes are teammates and they seems to be friends. I don't think Rocky is Nunes' prefered choice even if she is willing to defend her 135 belt.

It makes no sense for Nunes to fight at 224 against Rocky.

First, she already looks pretty thick now. It won't be an eazy weightcut to 135, and she would only have two months to gain the muscle back against Cyborg at 226.

Second, there is no ppv money from a fight against Rocky unless UFC books huge fight like Cain vs Werdum 2 at 224.

Third, Tecia and Nunes are teammates and they seems to be friends. I don't think Rocky is Nunes' prefered choice even if she is willing to defend her 135 belt.
From her last interview at MMA hour we should expect them to fight each other at some point, no matter what..
They can be friends after. It's not like they are teammates too

I mean.. Nunes is saying she has a fight, #1 ranked Holly Holm is 1-4 in last 5 and said she wanted to stay at FW. #2 Julianna Pena is out due to being a mom recently. #3 Pennington. #4 GDR, already fought and lost, people won't wanna watch that either since she really ducked Cyborg in a pathetic way. #5 Ketlen Vieira is fighting #6 Cat Zingano.

It's Pennington.

I don’t see Nunes vs Pennington being super competitive, but at this point besides maybe Holly Holm what fight at 135 even is competitive for Nunes?

I would love to see Rocky beat her. Pennington is awesome. Tough as nails. Love the mentality.

Hope she coached her fiance into somehow managing to pull a win off against Andrade as well.

I respect your opinion. I like both fighters & am hoping for a good fight. They've each reached the highest echelons of their chosen profession so I'll enjoy continuing watching them.

I mean.. Nunes is saying she has a fight, #1 ranked Holly Holm is 1-4 in last 5 and said she wanted to stay at FW. #2 Julianna Pena is out due to being a mom recently. #3 Pennington. #4 GDR, already fought and lost, people won't wanna watch that either since she really ducked Cyborg in a pathetic way. #5 Ketlen Vieira is fighting #6 Cat Zingano.

It's Pennington.

Sounds right to me. Though until everything's announced I never underestimate the UFC's ability to surprise us. They could announce Priscila Cachoeira must fight Nunes next month as part of its new 'Warrior Spirit' campaign.

Ufc mentioned Leah Letson in their website, so I wouldn’t be shocked if she got another fight on that card.
I wonder at what weight this will be then.

I don't hate the news that Kunitskaya will face Cyborg now, but I have to say I'm kinda sad to lose the first "normal" (= non-title, non-Cyborg) w145 fight for it.
Oh well, maybe one day we'll get one.

The hype fight did exactly what it was meant to do. With the Hype built around Valentina they might get away with making this as a fight card sweetener on a PPV instead of a Fox/FS1 card headliner, like it would have been if it was Nicco with another unknown fighter like Sjara.

Sarah Moras talks about wanting to go up in weight class in this interview. That does not surprise me as she is pretty big for bantamweight. Good interview from her.

I don’t see Nunes vs Pennington being super competitive
Could be a good thing tho.

I suppose they'll still want to make Cyborg vs Nunes in the future, and that will look much better with Amanda coming of an impressive win (instead of a lackluster decision).

The hype fight did exactly what it was meant to do. With the Hype built around Valentina they might get away with making this as a fight card sweetener on a PPV instead of a Fox/FS1 card headliner, like it would have been if it was Nicco with another unknown fighter like Sjara.

I was looking at the new rankings earlier this evening. Shevchenko at #1 Challenger. Knew this was coming after that just a matter of time for the announcement.

Easier doing this then a cut and paste from the UFC itself.

--
Some results.

2-2 Linsey Williams def. Hilarie Rose by TKO in rd 3 at CES – Lincoln, Rhode Island (115)

2-2 Ring of Combat AM 27, New York
Lauren Braccia def. Carsyn Nash by UD (125) Ammy
Taneisha Tennant def. Dianna Karavas by UD (140) Ammy
Jennifer Dugwen Chieng def. Anastasia Bruce by UD (120) Ammy

2-2 559 Fights 62, Visalia, California
(Cancelled) Gabby Lopez vs. Jaya Davis (115) Ammy (Davis elbow injury)
(Cancelled) Kiara Ramos vs. Laura Anderson (135) Ammy

2-3 NEF 32 Super Saturday, Lewiston, Maine
Amanda Gallo def. Jayda Bailey by UD (135) Ammy
Catie Denning def. Chelsea Elizabeth by UD (135) Ammy
BJ Garceau def. Sarah Ziehmby SD (115) Ammy

2-3 Jo Dagenais def. Jasmine Jasdavicous by UD at Full Contact Promotions: RageintheCage 3, Rochester, New York. (120) Ammy

2-3 Alexandra Ballou def. Christine Frazier by UD at Xtreme Caged Combat, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (125) Ammy

2-3 Gladius Fights 30, Auburn, New York
Jolene Dennis def. Che Stait-Martino by Armbar in at 2:01 of rd 1 (115) Ammy
Kara Hoad def. Andrea Watson by UD (140) Ammy

(Cancelled) 2-3 Marisa Chaves vs. Ciara Dolphus at Shamrock fc 302. (135) Ammy

2-3 HFC MI City, Indiana
Claire Guthrie def. Micaela Rampage by UD (135) Ammy
Linda Mihalec def. Kara Marie Vislosky by UD (105) Ammy

2-3 Sugar Creek Showdown – Hinton, Oklahoma
Jamie Thorton def. Morgan Solis by Guillotine in rd 1 (115)
Brook Andrus def. Janyth Glendening by UD (145) Ammy

2-3 NLF: St. Valentine's Day Massacre, Montpeleir, Ohio

Larkyn Dasch def. Cherish Brown by TKO at 1:41 of rd 3 (145) Ammy
(Cancelled) Lydia Babila vs. Payton Becki (135) Ammy

Last edited:
Yeah, I have no issue with the fight and another PPV headlined by women.

Sounds correct. I don't talk about mma much day to day but the online buzz on it seems very high.

Is Yana Kunitskaya a true featherweight that cuts to bantamweight (she's listed as Bantamweight on the site), or is she gonna be undersized like the last few bantamweights that moved up to fight Cyborg?

I know Cyborg nearly killed herself to make 140 catchweight, so is this just a case of everyone looking undersized compared to Cyborg?

I'm torn in Viera/Zingano. On one hand, I don't want to see Viera get derailed by a part timer, but a part of me is hoping that Cat can rekindle some of that old "balls to the wall/all out" style that seems to have supplanted by safe point fighting.

Back