Official Women's Division Discussion #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy Nguyen vs. Rena announced for the opening round of the Rizin Grand Prix in October
A perv's dream fight.

Most likely RENA takes out, but I won't count Nguyen out. I was wrong about her against MILFamoto and the second fight with Bi.

A perv's dream fight.

Most likely RENA takes out, but I won't count Nguyen out. I was wrong about her against MILFamoto and the second fight with Bi.

I agree - Andy has vastly improved in her camp, especially her ground game. I don;t expect this to be a squash by any means.

Not hating on Andy but her fight with Bi was painful to watch. I've endured some fights but that was one of the top ones.

Not hating on Andy but her fight with Bi was painful to watch. I've endured some fights but that was one of the top ones.

The ref, Cecil Peoples, made that one hard to watch for me. He has no business reffing MMA. The second the fight went to the ground, he would stand them up. Didn't matter if they were in the middle of passing guard, ground and pound, applying submission..... stand 'em up! Bizarre.

Rose put out 9 episodes of "Thug Diaries" on her YouTube channel (but the last of those was 5 months ago). She's been busy with 2 Shevchenko fight camps (in close time proximity to each other since the first fight got cancelled at the last minute, and the more recent one ongoing at present), and my guess is that it would be uncool to release videos to the public that involve another fighter's fight camp (especially for a championship belt).
Yea that is one of my main concerns. TUF is very favorable to grinding grapplers. I can tell no one has been too impressive so far because Dana would have bee gushing like he was about Rose during the taping of TUF20. On a random note, I find it funny that people forget that Rose was gonna be the next female that that the UFC pushed until she dropped the ball against Carla and disappeared from social media. She posts like once every other month these days.

Rose simply doesn't give a shit. She has a really good team representing her and they did as well as they could with the Thug Diaries. They even paid to have it as a promoted video on YouTube! But when your feminine-looking, marketable fighter shaves her head and (as was already pointed out) posts about twice a month on social media, it's tough to get any steam behind her.

For example: Before Rose and Michelle fought, Rose had twice as many followers on Instagram as Michelle. Which makes sense, considering she has always been a top 5 fighter, fought for the belt, was going to be "The next Ronda Rousey" and got a lot of push by the UFC. But look at their Instagram accounts NOW, after Rose BEAT Michelle. Waterson has a lot more followers. Similar thing happened with Paige.

Once again, Rose is a hippie out there doing her own thing who happens to be a good fighter. People around her care about the money and popularity, but she obviously has a hard time giving a shit.

Rose simply doesn't give a shit. She has a really good team representing her and they did as well as they could with the Thug Diaries. They even paid to have it as a promoted video on YouTube! But when your feminine-looking, marketable fighter shaves her head and (as was already pointed out) posts about twice a month on social media, it's tough to get any steam behind her.

For example: Before Rose and Michelle fought, Rose had twice as many followers on Instagram as Michelle. Which makes sense, considering she has always been a top 5 fighter, fought for the belt, was going to be "The next Ronda Rousey" and got a lot of push by the UFC. But look at their Instagram accounts NOW, after Rose BEAT Michelle. Waterson has a lot more followers. Similar thing happened with Paige.

Once again, Rose is a hippie out there doing her own thing who happens to be a good fighter. People around her care about the money and popularity, but she obviously has a hard time giving a shit.

Giving a shit about what? Having fanboys drool over her? I guess not so much. About improving and succeeding AS A FIGHTER? Well...I'd say, THAT'S what she cares about. One doesn't become a champion by training less effectively as a cost of being great with media... that's how one becomes Paige VanZant. Rose's ambitions seem to be centered on developing herself AS A FIGHTER and not letting other things get in the way of THAT. What she gives a shit about is developing the skills to earn the championship belt... and I say kudos to her for having that attitude.

Giving a shit about what? Having fanboys drool over her? I guess not so much. About improving and succeeding AS A FIGHTER? Well...I'd say, THAT'S what she cares about. One doesn't become a champion by training less effectively as a cost of being great with media... that's how one becomes Paige VanZant. Rose's ambitions seem to be centered on developing herself AS A FIGHTER and not letting other things get in the way of THAT. What she gives a shit about is developing the skills to earn the championship belt... and I say kudos to her for having that attitude.

LOL. Cool your jets.

So, following Markos vs. Grasso, rankings have shaken up a bit. Randa has dropped five down to #14, pushing Aguilar out of the T15 and Moroz to #15. Grasso re-debuts at #13. Both Herrig & PVZ move up and take #9 & #10 whilst JoJo drops to #11.

Rankings wise, this is the perfect opportunity for Calvillo vs. Herrig, both are #8 and #9 and they both have pretty good ground game so I'd like to see how this fight plays out (I personally feel like Felice would win but Calvillo has proved me wrong a lot so I ain't counting her out).

Markos vs. Moroz is another that should happen, that leaves Grasso and Casey so I guess Grasso vs. Casey? or they could do Herrig vs. Casey and have Grasso face Hill who stated on Twitter she wanted the winner of Markos vs. Grasso.

If they do go with Herrig vs. Casey and Grasso vs. Hill, then we could see Calvillo vs. Esparza and Waterson vs. Torres.

LOL, @Mark Zima is usually level headed so it's quite funny reading his response.

Is it that my occasional use of capitals makes people think I am shouting? Lol. Perhaps I need to substitute in the use of italics when I want to emphasize words.

Megumi Fuji's Twitter is a great cute thing.

No rest for King Reina - will face Young Ji Kim at Deep September 16th

Jodie Esquibel is out of her title fight with Livia Souza due to injury. Souza will face undefeated Janaisa Morandin in a non title match.

Sarah Kleczka will be replacing Kelly McGill to take on Amberlyn Orr. McGill is doing the Dana White's Contenders Series in a few weeks.

So I happen to come across an article about Amanda Serrano and it had some really interesting information in it. She is going to be making a transition to MMA by the end of the year. I have not seen her state if it will be MMA only or if she will still box. I am kind of clueless to most things about boxing so it is hard for me to put some of these things into perspective. She states that she has won 5 titles in 5 different weight classes and will try for a 6th very soon. It seems she has a record of 33-1-1 with 25 KOs. All of these stats sound amazing. How is she not already popular to the general public? She also stated that she gets paid around 17,500 per fight. PVZ was on a 40k/40k contract her 4th fight. Rose was on a 43k/43k her 4th fight. People complain about the UFC but that is less than a minimum contract win in the UFC. WTF is going on in Womens Boxing?

http://theprizefighters.com/2017/08/09/ufc-bellator-courting-amanda-serrano/

Last edited:
So I happen to come across an article about Amanda Serrano and it had some really interesting information in it. She is going to be making a transition to MMA by the end of the year. I have not seen her state if it will be MMA only or if she will still box. I am kind of clueless to most things about boxing so it is hard for me to put some of these things into perspective. She states that she has won 5 titles in 5 different weight classes and will try for a 6th very soon. It seems she has a record of 33-1-1 with 25 KOs. All of these stats sound amazing. How is she not already popular to the general public? She also stated that she gets paid around 17,500 per fight. People complain about the UFC but that is less than a minimum contract win in the UFC. WTF is going on in Womens Boxing?

Depends on where she is signed. If It's the UFC (which I think is unlikely) she can't. Bellator or Invicta is the more likely option and then yes she will still be boxing. You gotta feel her promoter likes the second option better. Not sure if she is in the same boat as Hardy is, but my assumption is that is the case.

Depends on where she is signed. If It's the UFC (which I think is unlikely) she can't. Bellator or Invicta is the more likely option and then yes she will still be boxing. You gotta feel her promoter likes the second option better. Not sure if she is in the same boat as Hardy is, but my assumption is that is the case.
What kind of relationship do promoters and their boxers have? Do they kind of own them for a number of fights? Can a boxer fight in another combat sport if the promoter does not want them to?

What kind of relationship do promoters and their boxers have? Do they kind of own them for a number of fights? Can a boxer fight in another combat sport if the promoter does not want them to?

On a good day, your average promoter is lower than whale shit and exploits fighters like a Malaysian pimp during a holy war. Each promotion is different, but women's boxing is even shadier than men's boxing, so things can change at the last minute. Also, title's in women's boxing do not mean very much, given that, in smaller "promotions" you can have a woman fighting for a title after two or three fights. Holly Holm has about 16 titles and 38 fights, for what it is worth.

Unfortunately, Muay Thai is now going the same route, dammit. Worst thing to happen to boxing was Ali-Spinks. Everyone in my house was pissed as shit.

So I happen to come across an article about Amanda Serrano and it had some really interesting information in it. She is going to be making a transition to MMA by the end of the year. I have not seen her state if it will be MMA only or if she will still box. I am kind of clueless to most things about boxing so it is hard for me to put some of these things into perspective. She states that she has won 5 titles in 5 different weight classes and will try for a 6th very soon. It seems she has a record of 33-1-1 with 25 KOs. All of these stats sound amazing. How is she not already popular to the general public? She also stated that she gets paid around 17,500 per fight. PVZ was on a 40k/40k contract her 4th fight. Rose was on a 43k/43k her 4th fight. People complain about the UFC but that is less than a minimum contract win in the UFC. WTF is going on in Womens Boxing?

There are a lot more women making a transition to MMA so this is no surprise to me.

On a good day, your average promoter is lower than whale shit and exploits fighters like a Malaysian pimp during a holy war. Each promotion is different, but women's boxing is even shadier than men's boxing, so things can change at the last minute. Also, title's in women's boxing do not mean very much, given that, in smaller "promotions" you can have a woman fighting for a title after two or three fights. Holly Holm has about 16 titles and 38 fights, for what it is worth.

Unfortunately, Muay Thai is now going the same route, dammit. Worst thing to happen to boxing was Ali-Spinks. Everyone in my house was pissed as shit.

This is getting somewhat better with bigger promoters finally giving female boxers tv/streaming time. But promoters are basically glorified managers, and a lot like the amateurs in MMA, they book for the hometown star versus cans to build their records and more importantly put butts in seats.

Dana White has been on record he hates Holm's manager/promoter. Hardy can't sign a permanent deal with Bellator until her boxing promoter comes to terms which is a pain in the ass.

The boxing model overall is hugely flawed in the modern era. Ali Act messed a lot of things up.

This is getting somewhat better with bigger promoters finally giving female boxers tv/streaming time. But promoters are basically glorified managers, and a lot like the amateurs in MMA, they book for the hometown star versus cans to build their records and more importantly put butts in seats.

Dana White has been on record he hates Holm's manager/promoter. Hardy can't sign a permanent deal with Bellator until her boxing promoter comes to terms which is a pain in the ass.

The boxing model overall is hugely flawed in the modern era. Ali Act messed a lot of things up.

Promoters look for something even more than what will put asses in seats, and that is money in their pockets. 50% of them would burn down a heavily occupied orphanage for the insurance if they thought they could get away with it.

And as someone who grew up in a boxing gym, well, my disgust for what goes on has had 50 years to mature and grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back