Official Coaches and Trainers Discussion

Another stoppage win for tia. Girl hurt her shoulder and it was called off between 1 and 2. Tia lit her up like a Christmas tree.

I’m turning her open. I’d rather she lose in 9 mins than continue winning in 2. (Tbf this was a 3 min round)

Some coaches and fighters need to quit lyin':

I’ll never understand sand bagging. Such a waste of everyone’s time

I hear this a lot, nondescript responses when I ask a coach asking for sparring what their fighter's experience level is. Most of the time the fighter isnt actually good at all, but they dont want the fighter to know that. I can tell when the guy has a ton of experience, they always lie with a slight smile.

Ugh… One of my fighters got offered a short notice UFC bout for July 8th. Not necessarily coming off the couch but yeah let’s just say he is not in the best of shape since he just fought in April and he did not expect any fight offers till August/September. This fighter I only serve as his striking coach and not his head coach so even tho he asked for my opinion, I did not have the final say.

We got about 14-16 days before Vegas fight week.

Last edited:
Ugh… One of my fighters got offered a short notice UFC bout for July 8th. Not necessarily coming off the couch but yeah let’s just say he is not in the best of shape since he just fought in April and he did not expect any fight offers till August/September. This fighter I only serve as his striking coach and not his head coach so I even tho he asked for my opinion, I did not have the final say.

oh man, that’s rough. How do you like the match up?

Striker vs grappler matchup, my guy being the grappler. Im sure on paper we are gonna be huge underdogs. But honestly, I’ve had a way worse UFC debut matchups… oh i forgot to mention we are going up a weight class
going up In weight means an easier short notice cut! Haha.

it’s so hard to keep guys at that level sharp and ready to go between fights, but as a coach you know Dana could make the call at anytime. Getting the fighter to believe it is always tougher. I’m sure you guys will get it done.

Are they going to give him another one down the road as a “thank you” for jumping on short notice and up a weight class?

Ugh… One of my fighters got offered a short notice UFC bout for July 8th. Not necessarily coming off the couch but yeah let’s just say he is not in the best of shape since he just fought in April and he did not expect any fight offers till August/September. This fighter I only serve as his striking coach and not his head coach so even tho he asked for my opinion, I did not have the final say.

Being in bad shape 2 months after your last fight is irresponsible. Either he got badly injured and should decline the fight on July 8 or didn't get injured and should have been back in the gym weeks ago.

The UFC is not some minor league. Unless your fighter is supremely talented, I see a lot of beating coming his way if he doesn't change his attitude.

Being in bad shape 2 months after your last fight is irresponsible. Either he got badly injured and should decline the fight on July 8 or didn't get injured and should have been back in the gym weeks ago.

The UFC is not some minor league. Unless your fighter is supremely talented, I see a lot of beating coming his way if he doesn't change his attitude.

I gotta agree with this. If he fight in April, it's only June...why is he out of shape?

This is a failure of the head Coach, and its exacerbated by taking a fight they're unprepared for.

@Sinister and @StopDucking your preaching to the choir here lol. I just came here to vent lol since his head coach is all about it. Did I mention we are going up a weight class? And trust me I know the ufc is “not some minor league” this is my 5th guy who is going to make his ufc debut.

Original plan was to fight before the year ends (we have a verbal agreement with promotor and opponent) in October or November. Then depending on how that went decide if he would try to get on Contender Series since they keep offering. No excuse tho, I agree he should be in decent shape year round but hey I can make a guy train.

going up In weight means an easier short notice cut! Haha.

it’s so hard to keep guys at that level sharp and ready to go between fights, but as a coach you know Dana could make the call at anytime. Getting the fighter to believe it is always tougher. I’m sure you guys will get it done.

4 fight contract and 4 grand above UFC min wage to start out… but u know how that goes they can cut him whenever they want

Are they going to give him another one down the road as a “thank you” for jumping on short notice and up a weight class?

The matchmaker has been trying to get him on Contender series this season but his head coach passed on it since we had a fight lined up before the end of the year. But when Sean Shelby facetimed them, plans changed I guess. Idk what went on exactly during the facetime convo but yeah… promoter talk blah blah prolly.

The matchmaker has been trying to get him on Contender series this season but his head coach passed on it since we had a fight lined up before the end of the year. But when Sean Shelby facetimed them, plans changed I guess. Idk what went on exactly during the facetime convo but yeah… promoter talk blah blah prolly.
do you know if they were trying to get him as the A side for contender or to be the opponent for the guy they’re trying to sign?

do you know if they were trying to get him as the A side for contender or to be the opponent for the guy they’re trying to sign?

I honestly dont know. I have had 3 guys on the contender series. My first guy i felt it was even, second guy was def the A side and my third guy was def the B side.

But all those guys I was their actual head coach. I am not as involved with this current fighter that just got the call up. I literally see him twice a week unless he has a fight confirmed then im there for all the practices/sessions.

I honestly dont know. I have had 3 guys on the contender series. My first guy i felt it was even, second guy was def the A side and my third guy was def the B side.

But all those guys I was their actual head coach. I am not as involved with this current fighter that just got the call up. I literally see him twice a week unless he has a fight confirmed then im there for all the practices/sessions.
we’ve had 3 from our gym over the years who won their fights (2 or all 3 with finishes) and none were offered a contract. Sometimes Dana knows who he wants before the fight starts I think

we’ve had 3 from our gym over the years who won their fights (2 or all 3 with finishes) and none were offered a contract. Sometimes Dana knows who he wants before the fight starts I think

wow smh. Yeah my one guy who got a contract dana abosultely loved. Like so much favoritism you could easily tell, even got the ufc to help him with some personal stuff. My last guy was a 9 to 1 underdog, he put up a crazy ass fight and was awarded his win bonus even tho he lost

IMG_5745.png https://instagram.com/stories/on_target_training_pdx/3143246299414243376?igshid=Y2I2MzMwZWM3ZA==

When you’re right you’re right! And when you’re wrong, well…

Back