Offensive Trademarks. Get 'Em While They're Hot.

Cubo de Sangre

F65
@plutonium
Reaction score
Recently the Supreme Court had the integrity to rule that free speech applied to trademarks. Great news of course for Washington Redskins fans. Looks now like the floodgates have opened up. Anybody here got any good ones they want to hop on now is the time. My get rich quick scheme is to mimic these forums (but sans censorship) under the moniker of "Slurdog". Just have to figure out how to copy everything over.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...ensive-trademark-requests-140724350--nfl.html

A small group of companies and individuals are looking to register racially charged words and symbols for their products, including the N-word and a swastika, based on a U.S. Supreme Court decision on trademarks last month.

At least nine such applications have been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) since the unanimous June 19 ruling throwing out a federal law prohibiting disparaging trademarks. All are pending.

Nice bit of rationalizing from this guy.

Steven Maynard, a Virginia consultant who helps others obtain trademarks, started Snowflake Enterprises with several investors to apply for offensive trademarks after the court ruled.

The company has submitted applications to trademark a version of the N-word to appear on clothing, hard liquor and beer, and intends to turn the slur into a brand, Maynard said in an interview. The company has a dedicated website.

Maynard, 50, said he is not racist but believes that saturating the market with such epithets can rob them of their racist connotations. The idea is to spark discussion and turn "hate into hope," he said in a phone interview.

"If you suppress it, you give it power," Maynard said.

Or maybe, just maybe there's some sense in it?

San Francisco entrepreneur Mike Lin, 45, whose parents are Taiwanese, submitted a trademark application for a slur against Chinese people, one he said he was called as a kid and wanted to reappropriate, or "take back."

He intends to capitalize on it by selling T-shirts bearing the slur and using the trademark application to generate news coverage for his company 47/72 Inc, he said.

11431d1390831469-randal-s-porch-monkey-4-life-shirt-porchmonkeylr5.jpg

I don't think this will end well

But it means I can start up my Moslem Tranny Bathroom Riot music label

Recently the Supreme Court had the integrity to rule that free speech applied to trademarks. Great news of course for Washington Redskins fans. Looks now like the floodgates have opened up. Anybody here got any good ones they want to hop on now is the time. My get rich quick scheme is to mimic these forums (but sans censorship) under the moniker of "Slurdog". Just have to figure out how to copy everything over.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...ensive-trademark-requests-140724350--nfl.html

Nice bit of rationalizing from this guy.

Or maybe, just maybe there's some sense in it?

11431d1390831469-randal-s-porch-monkey-4-life-shirt-porchmonkeylr5.jpg
I'm sure the NFL threw some money at this one. Aside from the Foreskins, dozens of college teams(aka NFL minor league teams) have names which could be targeted by this absolutely insane push to ban sports names from the left.

Excellent news. I was starting to get worried for Savage Arms.

I'm sure the NFL threw some money at this one. Aside from the Foreskins, dozens of college teams(aka NFL minor league teams) have names which could be targeted by this absolutely insane push to ban sports names from the left.

Fkn lol Foreskins.

I for one welcome this trend.

Social Justice has become such a parody anyways.

RIP Fighting Sioux
1036px-North_Dakota_Fighting_Sioux_Logo.svg.png

America, and our constitution does not grant people the right to demand policy change based upon the offenses they took. It's like that Catholic Priest bitching to the FCC so they could ban free speech on television. Turn the tv off, you nitwit.

A small group of companies and individuals are looking to register racially charged words and symbols for their products, including the N-word.

Are they going to trademark "N-word"? Cause that would be hilarious.

Are they going to trademark "N-word"? Cause that would be hilarious.

I think with something like that you'd have to have more than just the word to get a trademark. Like creating "N-word Beer" and someone else could trademark it in a different product market like "N-word Guns".

lol, I love snowflake enterprises. I was thinking of starting a clothing line called "pansy me, pansy you," It goes really well with the status quo.

America, and our constitution does not grant people the right to demand policy change based upon the offenses they took. It's like that Catholic Priest bitching to the FCC so they could ban free speech on television. Turn the tv off, you nitwit.
But America is granting people that right, but only certain people, not all, and to different extents.

I think with something like that you'd have to have more than just the word to get a trademark. Like creating "N-word Beer" and someone else could trademark it in a different product market like "N-word Guns".

I meant literally "n-word", not :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

But yeah, I don't think ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: beer" would endear a company to the public. It may be legal, but it would be a bad PR move.

Right decision, support the 1st amendment.

I meant literally "n-word", not :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

But yeah, I don't think ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: beer" would endear a company to the public. It may be legal, but it would be a bad PR move.

Same concept as far as I know. "N-word" is a long-established and commonly used term. Where's all the attorneys at around here? Fwiw...

http://www.tmweb.com/basics.asp

Words in common every day use or phrases specific to an industry are the property of everyone within that industry. No one person has the right to monopolize them. Almost every restaurant sells "hamburgers" and every computer programmer writes "software". No one can own these words as a trademark for these wares. In addition, laudatory terms such as "miracle", "best" and "ultimate" either clearly describe, (it is the best motor oil) or mis-describe (it is not the best motor oil) the product. Therefore these words can not be owned by you.

Remember! A trademark is always used as an adjective to describe a product or service. It is never noun.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:zz production will be my new label. Can't wait when the ghetto slagz see me. LoL

My sister went there. I've got some hoodies that are awesome to wear, and pieces of history in a few years
You can still buy Sioux gear at the arena, it's in the Dacotah legends section. I went to a game last season and the stands were still full of Sioux gear, I bet it was 90% Sioux and only 10% Fighting Hawks. I see people seeing Sioux gear all the time, there's still Sioux decorations at local stores, etc. It will eventually die out, but it's going to take awhile.

Back