Odd Question: How do you feel about couple's with Downs Syndrome having children?

I am around a lot of Down Syndrome and Autistic young adults. My Nephew has Autism and is involved in many communities. I am involved and have grown fond of so many of them. Many call me to talk and love to see me. In all seriousness, I am going to have to say no. There are so many things that I don't want to adress so I will say hard no. There are health issues to go along with the mental ones people usually do not know about.

don't care, i think eugenics is a disgusting thing to practice, people should be allowed to start a family if they want to
Well there are some members of society need to be protected from themselves as they are not capable of making decisions due to different things. We see how the animal kingdom uses Eugenics to keep the species thriving, it seems pretty common sense. If a doctor told me that I had a gene and a partner had a gene that I know would be passed on for sure that would harm the offspring, I could make a decision not to procreate. Not everyone can.

Im not sure Id even want to have a baby with Down Syndrome let alone them having kids. Developmental issues are a huge part of why im afraid to have kids. They say its different when its yours but i dont know if I could do it.

Well there are some members of society need to be protected from themselves as they are not capable of making decisions due to different things. We see how the animal kingdom uses Eugenics to keep the species thriving, it seems pretty common sense. If a doctor told me that I had a gene and a partner had a gene that I know would be passed on for sure that would harm the offspring, I could make a decision not to procreate. Not everyone can.
the issue is where we draw the line? they are neurodivergent folks that 100x the parents that some neurotypicals are. someone having a particular gene "defect" or "superior" genetic advantage has no bearing on whether they make a good parent or not.

If we're going to gatekeep people from having kids then let's really create an exclusion list...
<6>

I think males with down syndrome are infertile, and only women with down syndrome can have kids.

Not sure about the other questions. Depending on the severity, I don't know that some could even get a marriage license, so presumably getting one pregnant might be illegal too for a normal person.
Do people need to pass a written test to get marriage license like driver's license?

Im not sure Id even want to have a baby with Down Syndrome let alone them having kids. Developmental issues are a huge part of why im afraid to have kids. They say its different when its yours but i dont know if I could do it.
I'd guess same fears about adopting where you might get some crackhead's crack baby who does crazy shit and wreck's your house and yourself. I think the news reported something like this.

Do people need to pass a written test to get marriage license like driver's license?
No, but you have to be an adult, not currently married to someone else etc, and I don't think people with severe mental disabilities have legal capacity to sign contracts. I'd imagine it's like a conservatorship where the person is considered a ward.

I prefer Iceland's approach to this. Living people with Down's should be integrated in society and cared for, but there should be no more children born with Down's.
Call me cruel all you want, I think eugenics should absolutely be implemented, at least to a degree.
Sounds reasonable to me

Couldn’t be any worse that some of the “ normal “ people having kids in the American south or in the inner cities .

I think the test they need to pass should be much harder than that. We need a whole (at least) one year training program for new parents.

Wow. I would insist that people who say everyone has a right to procreate pay a higher rate of tax to support such individuals. They need a lifetime of care. In addition. Have you decided that its a good life. Ie a happy life to be born with a disability. I for one would opt out of an existance were i too be a burden on everyone.
The problem is. Everyone wants the feelgood solution to allow them to have kids. but when asked to pay for it, they insist everyone pay.

Wow. I would insist that people who say everyone has a right to procreate pay a higher rate of tax to support such individuals. They need a lifetime of care. In addition. Have you decided that its a good life. Ie a happy life to be born with a disability. I for one would opt out of an existance were i too be a burden on everyone.
The problem is. Everyone wants the feelgood solution to allow them to have kids. but when asked to pay for it, they insist everyone pay.

Yikes. How much money do you think the average person pays to subsidize people with Down syndrome?

If we pushed a button and all government funding for people with down syndrom vanished overnight, how much extra cash do you think we'd have?

I'm against it but I don't think it's something that should be made illegal or anything

the issue is where we draw the line? they are neurodivergent folks that 100x the parents that some neurotypicals are. someone having a particular gene "defect" or "superior" genetic advantage has no bearing on whether they make a good parent or not.
Someone being mentally deficient sure would though. My Nephews GF has Downs. No way she could be a parent. NO WAY> But she wants to. She wants to lead a normal life, but she can't. She has mental limits, bad decision-making skills, and emotional melt downs. She is a love and a sweet person, but no way she could be a parent.

Yikes. How much money do you think the average person pays to subsidize people with Down syndrome?

If we pushed a button and all government funding for people with down syndrom vanished overnight, how much extra cash do you think we'd have?
Not much compared to what states spend on wars and political follies. Surely not the #1 issue we as a society should address. But if we put together Down's and all other genetic deseases that are incurable and can be reliably identified during early gestation period, numbers will be bigger.
My opinion is that we should abort fetuses with severe incurable diseases. Actually, Down's is far from the worst, some people with it can live rather decently, but shit like mucoviscidosis is straight up lifetime torture.

Back