Objectively speaking, REM is one of the greatest bands of all time

Here’s mine

I didn't even know about this one. I guess they didn't start with punk, lol.

I'm less familiar with their older stuff than I realized. I thought End of the World as we Know it was their debut.

I'm less familiar with their older stuff than I realized. I thought End of the World as we Know it was their debut.
Maybe I’m the one who’s out of touch lol, but I actually don’t understand what @triptych meant when called this their debut. AFAIK their debut single was “Radio Free Europe”; “Fall On Me” is from their 4th album, Life’s Rich Pageant.

They did a fantastic version of it in their Unplugged, if you’ve never checked it out. Their Unplugged was so damn good.

Apparently I can only post this one with crappy quality audio because the other versions are blocked on YouTube for copyright :rolleyes:

Another great song of theirs (Although I heard that Stipe hated it)

I always liked this one too. And I can imagine Stipe hates it. He's seems the opposite of a shiny happy person lol

Reactions: Zer
Maybe I’m the one who’s out of touch lol, but I actually don’t understand what @triptych meant when called this their debut. AFAIK their debut single was “Radio Free Europe”; “Fall On Me” is from their 4th album, Life’s Rich Pageant.

They did a fantastic version of it in their Unplugged, if you’ve never checked it out. Their Unplugged was so damn good.

Apparently I can only post this one with crappy quality audio because the other versions are blocked on YouTube for copyright :rolleyes:

My bad ! I don't know why , but I've been pushing FOM as REM's debut single ever since I saw their vid on TV for the first time......perhaps it's because it's so differently arranged from their later stuff and appeals to me so much ....who can tell ?!!!! :)

I can understand MS hating it because it's rather popish compared to their other songs, but overall, it's not bad.....I find myself whistling it in the shower a few times :)

Love them. Originals and highly influential.

My favourite song is…

One of my favourite bands for sure and this is prob my favourite track too. I'm a big fan of unique voices and stage presence...Michael Stipe is just incredible, and the band is musically somewhat underrated, IMHO. I could say the same for the Tragically Hip. Gord Downey was one hell of a presence and voice, and the rest of the band was extremely talented too.

I was fortunate to see REM live a long time ago (Monster tour)...and I also remember being in high school, back when SNL, Letterman, etc. were major platforms for live performances and launching new material, and REM performed Losing My Religion on SNL...so many people were talking about it on Monday at school :)

I remember everyone was crazy about this song when it came out. I thought for sure it must have been a #1, but it only peaked at #4-- still their biggest hit of all time. In retrospect, this could be argued to be the defining American song of the second half of the 20th century:

could have asked

but a JTWW brother is a brother

I like R.E.M.

I also like disco. Dancing is fun, it's not wimping out. Bad take, IMO, @triptych.

I like a lot of their albums and songs. Some are already mentioned, here it is one more:

My kids were raised in 90's and earlier music. I remember when this song was playing, my then 10 yr old son said with a disappointed look in his face "I like this song." Like he doesn't want to but he can't deny it.

1rahca.jpg

I like R.E.M.

I also like disco. Dancing is fun, it's not wimping out. Bad take, IMO, @triptych.
"Disco" is crap .....the very word which was coined in the wimpy late 70s early 80s is so stupid, it's not funny anymore. Of course dancing is fun, it always has been, but when people say moronic stuff like "you can't dance to rock music or psychedelic rock", that's when I understand the total ignorance of people is SADLY REAL ! Music for shaking your bootie is not only r n b, soul or Beyonce - I prefer brother James Brown - it's r n r, funky, psychedelic rock, etc. If some creeps are conservatives and like only r n b , it's their crappy problem ! Bad take man :):):)

"Disco" is crap .....the very word which was coined in the wimpy late 70s early 80s is so stupid, it's not funny anymore. Of course dancing is fun, it always has been, but when people say moronic stuff like "you can't dance to rock music or psychedelic rock", that's when I understand the total ignorance of people is SADLY REAL ! Music for shaking your bootie is not only r n b, soul or Beyonce - I prefer brother James Brown - it's r n r, funky, psychedelic rock, etc. If some creeps are conservatives and like only r n b , it's their crappy problem ! Bad take man :):):)

No one says you can't dance to rock, psychedelic or otherwise. No one.

Disco is party music, and to tell me the likes of Donna Summer, Rose Royce, Kool & The Gang, Diana Ross, Michael Jackson -- all of which embraced disco and cut some absolutely great Disco-inspired dance tracks -- is crap... well, man, just nah.

✌️

No one says you can't dance to rock, psychedelic or otherwise. No one.

Disco is party music, and to tell me the likes of Donna Summer, Rose Royce, Kool & The Gang, Diana Ross, Michael Jackson -- all of which embraced disco and cut some absolutely great Disco-inspired dance tracks -- is crap... well, man, just nah.

✌️
What ????!!!! So in your opinion disco is party music ??! And what do you call rock, HR, HM, psychedelic rock, funky ?? Funeral music ??? Naaaaah, you're way off track or maybe you just missed the point. Summer, Ross and the others you mentioned are all wimpy acts when compared to the likes of brother James Brown, Funkadelic, ? Mark and the Mysterians, etc. It had all been done waaaaaay before any Kool crap - what they did SADLY in the late 70s was to strip funky and funky rock of its funky side, introduce silly jingles, flatten the music and create senseless arrangements = disco. What crap is that ???!!!Naaaaaaaaaaaah, waY OFF TRACK !!

What ????!!!! So in your opinion disco is party music ??! And what do you call rock, HR, HM, psychedelic rock, funky ?? Funeral music ??? Naaaaah, you're way off track or maybe you just missed the point. Summer, Ross and the others you mentioned are all wimpy acts when compared to the likes of brother James Brown, Funkadelic, ? Mark and the Mysterians, etc. It had all been done waaaaaay before any Kool crap - what they did SADLY in the late 70s was to strip funky and funky rock of its funky side, introduce silly jingles, flatten the music and create senseless arrangements = disco. What crap is that ???!!!Naaaaaaaaaaaah, waY OFF TRACK !!

Brah, again with this?

"Disco is party music" is an inclusive statement, it doesn't exclude anything else from the party music category.

Just as I didn't exclude people being able to dance to whatever they like when I mentioned dancing to Disco in my first reply to you.

You are the one excluding Disco by calling it crap, which it isn't.

You don't like Disco, I get it. But it is neither crap nor "wimping out."

Fact of the matter is, we wouldn't have house music, electronic dance/techno, maybe even new-wave and hip-hop without Disco.

It has left an incredible legacy.

...The Rolling Stones with Emotional Rescue...

Underrated...probably doesn't make the top 10 for most fans, but it is one of my fave Stones songs.

Getting this thread back on track lol...so simple, so good:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back