NRA supports regulation on 'bump stocks' Update: 02/19/18 Trump reccomends bump stock ban to AG

A barrel shroud? It's that shoulder thing that goes up.

never woulda been an issue if assholes just got their SBR's the legal way.

If only onerous regulation with dubious results didn't force one to shell out $200 and wait the better part of a year. Blame shitty/worthless regs. Of course people will worth their way around them.

If only onerous regulation with dubious results didn't force one to shell out $200 and wait the better part of a year. Blame shitty/worthless regs. Of course people will worth their way around them.
gotta pay the cost if you wanna be the boss. i got 2 SBR's, and 2 suppressors. i know the pain. But like i said, you can either self regulate, or GET regulated. guess which one hurts more.

All bullshit deflection to sacrifice a nothing product to pretend something was done and it was the bump stock and not the 43 gun arsenal that the nutter had.

What if he didn't use one of these bump stock gimmicks? Likely same number killed - just different people maybe by the unluck of the bullet path changing. What would NRA look to sacrifice then? It would use it's lobbyists to make sure something else was focused on, something minor and not impact the gun manufacturers bottom line more than a rounding error blip.

Fuck the NRA.
This times 1000. NRA just giving a little to keep pressure off gun manufacturers.

gotta pay the cost if you wanna be the boss. i got 2 SBR's, and 2 suppressors. i know the pain. But like i said, you can either self regulate, or GET regulated. guess which one hurts more.

I'm sorry you believe handing your rights over voluntarily is better than fighting for them and possibly losing.

I'm sorry you believe handing your rights over voluntarily is better than fighting for them and possibly losing.
youre smarter than the comment you just made. Everyone here has the right to own an SBR, the channels and means to get them exist and arent secretive or hard. You going out of your way to circumvent a long standing law however is neither a right, nor acceptable. My entire post was that if people enjoyed their rights RESPONSIBLY we wouldnt have to be handing them over in the first place.

You arent 'fighting for your rights' when you buy a AK pistol and throw a ATI stock on it.

youre smarter than the comment you just made. Everyone here has the right to own an SBR, the channels and means to get them exist and arent secretive or hard. You going out of your way to circumvent a long standing law however is neither a right, nor acceptable. My entire post was that if people enjoyed their rights RESPONSIBLY we wouldnt have to be handing them over in the first place.

You arent 'fighting for your rights' when you buy a AK pistol and throw a ATI stock on it.

You remind me of my taxation professor. Tax avoidance is everyone's right and a smart thing to do. Tax evasion is a crime. AK and AR pistols follow the law. Foregoing legal options because you think more of your shit will get banned is a defeatist attitude. The correct attitude is that the feds have no authority, not restricting yourself more than the law already does because you're afraid they can pass laws on a whim.

You remind me of my taxation professor. Tax avoidance is everyone's right and a smart thing to do. Tax evasion is a crime. AK and AR pistols follow the law. Foregoing legal options because you think more of your shit will get banned is a defeatist attitude. The correct attitude is that the feds have no authority, not restricting yourself more than the law already does because you're afraid they can pass laws on a whim.

I dunno, coming from a place where people (for the sake of the argument and brevity) surrendered certain freedoms, I tend to gravitate towards @Cubo de Sangre 's sentiment. Freedoms surrendered aren't easily returned.

I don't care if companies making bump fire stocks go out of business tomorrow; they're a gimmick. But I don't like the idea of legislating them out of existence, let them sink or swim in the market.

You're assuming competence. For all we know this guy was a terrible shot.
The reason the mass shooting focused legislation typically aims at cosmetics, is generally because spree shooters tend to be narcissistic fantasists.
They are living out their revenge fantasies, hence the military style weapons (and costumes even) being fetish objects for them.
Breivik's mini-14 was very tacti-cool (he even mentioned that it was the most "militaristic" rifle available to him, the stock was either synthetic or he'd painted it black).
Even though this guy is atypical in not trying to communicate some sort of message to get his fame, his massive accumulation of militaristic weapons fits the same pattern.
I dunno if I agree with that, it seems to me, at least in the US, accessories seem to be targeted because that's the only thing gun grabbers even have a chance of taking. I mean, we heard the conflagration of "assault weapons" and "semi-autos" again pretty recently, but I doubt anyone can come out and push the actual outlawing of semi-autos and be taken seriously.

Nor should they.

Trade bump stocks and their ilk for:

A Compromise in the case of Suppressors; keep the current process for obtaining a Suppressor in place, but for those who have already obtained one legally, (i.e. Background check, fingerprints, processing and paperwork) allow those to add successively purchased Suppressors to the existing paperwork without starting a new process all over again.
Forget the suppressors, open the machine gun registry, get 'evil' bumpstocks off the streets, track any and all machine guns, add them to the 500-600 thousand Legal harmless machine guns out there.

Boom, lefties get their registration, righties get the machine gun they actually want for Christmas

Trade bump stocks and their ilk for:

A Compromise in the case of Suppressors; keep the current process for obtaining a Suppressor in place, but for those who have already obtained one legally, (i.e. Background check, fingerprints, processing and paperwork) allow those to add successively purchased Suppressors to the existing paperwork without starting a new process all over again.
Horse trading is an actual compromise I could get behind.

Like any group, gun owners need to self regulate. This fantasy of 'sneaking shit past the radar' is very pervasive in the gun community and its why it gets easier to justify ban attempts. The new hotness is currently AR/AK 'pistols'. A bunch of dinks figure out that if they manufacture a bunch of carbines without buttstocks, they can sell them as pistols, thereby effectively skirting the regulations imposed on SBR's. The only problem is they suck ass when fired in that configuration because a rifle is rifle no matter what you want to call it. In comes the sig 'brace'. Morons will swear up and down its not a stock but everyone and their mother knows that it is exactly what is and what it is used as. I see it all the time in my gun range.
That went hand in hand with the ATF investigating banning 5.56 green tips since pistol ammunition is not allowed to be designed to defeat armor and the 62 grain green tip 5.56 has a steel core penetrator tip specifically for that task

never woulda been an issue if assholes just got their SBR's the legal way.
The AR/AK brace covers guns manufactured with a brace for the intended purpose of helping handicapped people fire them single handed.

The ATF opinion does NOT cover anyone making their own and misusing it as a makeshift stock. If you don't buy one, and choose to build it instead. don't misuse it, do it proper, strap in and shoot it

Semi-auto just doesn't lend itself as a good platform for taunting the enemy with quips like "Say hello to my little firend!". In the remake they'll use a bumpfire stock. Hollywood is sensitive to glorifying gun violence so of course they'll tone it down from the monstrousness of full auto.

Dude could really use a flash hider though. Between that and the coke no way he could see shit.

Well, the media and politicians need a boogeyman, and semi auto is just not scary sounding enough. Boring, really.

Semi-auto just doesn't lend itself as a good platform for taunting the enemy with quips like "Say hello to my little firend!". In the remake they'll use a bumpfire stock. Hollywood is sensitive to glorifying gun violence so of course they'll tone it down from the monstrousness of full auto.

Dude could really use a flash hider though. Between that and the coke no way he could see shit.

I dunno if I'd go as far as saying that they're "sensitive to glorifying gun violence", if anything they relish in sending out mixed messages.

Anyone remember how much anti-NRA propaganda they snuck into Lethal Weapon (3, I think), like, "WTF, do you even realize what kind of movie you're making?"

Don't get me started on Die Hard 2's "German made, porcelain Glock 7s that sneak past metal detectors and cost more than what an NYPD Captain makes in a month".

I dunno if I'd go as far as saying that they're "sensitive to glorifying gun violence", if anything they relish in sending out mixed messages.

Anyone remember how much anti-NRA propaganda they snuck into Lethal Weapon (3, I think), like, "WTF, do you even realize what kind of movie you're making?"

Don't get me started on Die Hard 2's "German made, porcelain Glock 7s that sneak past metal detectors and cost more than what an NYPD Captain makes in a month".

For sure. And I was trying to make a funny. Hollywood glamorizes violence as much as anybody.

Back