Not gonna be able to work out for a while... pretty bummed

tdluxon

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
So I'd recently been doing really well with my workouts. I'd set a few new PRs lifting, and my cardio is probably the best it's been maybe ever. Nothing amazing in the grand scheme of things, but really good for me personally. But...

I had to have surgery last week for an unrelated medical condition and basically won't be able to do much of anything for quite a while. No lifting for 12 weeks. Pretty limited on cardio... nothing for 2 weeks then basically light stationary bike, maybe some elipitical after like a month.

Anyways, pretty bummed, both because I'd been in a good groove/routine and also because I'm probably gonna backslide a bit on the progress I'd made.

Anyone have any tips on ways to minimize losses and/or some light exercises to do in the meantime?

Find out if Occlusion/BFR training is contradiciated by your surgery- it allows you to see improvements in hypertrophy and muscular endurance with extremely light loads, and is gaining popularity as a rehab modality.

Keep on top of your diet I guess. Get adequate protein and maybe supplement some glutamine in there as there has been some evidence that it can slow muscle wasting.

Keep on top of your diet I guess. Get adequate protein and maybe supplement some glutamine in there as there has been some evidence that it can slow muscle wasting.

Exactly. Keep your protein and caloric intake up to prevent losing too much strength.

Source?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather lose some strength than become a fattie.
I'm a little worried about this. I was kinda fat when I was younger and I don't want to put a bunch of chub back on

Find out if Occlusion/BFR training is contradiciated by your surgery- it allows you to see improvements in hypertrophy and muscular endurance with extremely light loads, and is gaining popularity as a rehab modality.
Interesting. I'd never really heard of this before. I'll check it out a little, see what I can learn

Look at as a rest or vacation for your body. When you get back in your routine your muscle memory will kick in.

You may even quickly surpass what you limits were previously before surgery. A good break can be a good thing.

Look at as a rest or vacation for your body. When you get back in your routine your muscle memory will kick in.

You may even quickly surpass what you limits were previously before surgery. A good break can be a good thing.
Hope so, that makes me feel a little better

I recently was off squatting and deadlifting for a few months with knee rehab. I'm a month back in and I'm hitting old numbers. Don't sweat it, it's not that long, just do what you can.

I just had a tonsillectomy. No lifting or do anything physical for 2 weeks. I also can't eat most items. It fucking sucks.

Thanks for the info. So do you just pick it up at like gnc or somewhere like that?

I just get mine in bulk from Amazon. Plenty of online vitamin shops will have it too.

Yeah.

These papers have absolutely nothing to do with what you said in your previous post.

How so? Especially the first research paper I linked. It seems pretty clear that glutamine supplementation shows positive effects on patients who undergo surgery that there is improved nitrogen balance, something important for muscle growth and maintenance. I know it's not the only important factor, but one to take into consideration.

How so? Especially the first research paper I linked. It seems pretty clear that glutamine supplementation shows positive effects on patients who undergo surgery that there is improved nitrogen balance, something important for muscle growth and maintenance. I know it's not the only important factor, but one to take into consideration.
The paper doesn't reference patients who "undergo surgery". It says critically ill patients (major trauma, sepsis, major surgery, intense chemotherapy, etc.) receiving glutamine (by ways such as intravenous infusion and feeding tubes) have an increased likelihood of survival.

"Major surgery" has nothing to do with not being able to work out for a couple of weeks because you had your tonsils removed, btw.

I’m right there with you, I broke my ankle in 3 places back in December, had 2 surgeries to stabilize and rebuild it.

I’m still on crutches/wheelchair for another 3 weeks. I’ve just been swimming laps and doing pull ups/push ups. It’s pretty lame.

I’m right there with you, I broke my ankle in 3 places back in December, had 2 surgeries to stabilize and rebuild it.

I’m still on crutches/wheelchair for another 3 weeks. I’ve just been swimming laps and doing pull ups/push ups. It’s pretty lame.
Super lame

Back