Non-Traditional MMA Takedowns

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Never seen a double being shot with the head same side as the leg.

Single leg with no leg pinch

Here's one!

Never seen a double being shot with the head same side as the leg.

It doesn't surprise me. A lot of the time in MMA, good wrestlers get super, super deep on their takedowns because people are standing tall and walking forward, right? It seems like this takedown is really just making a better double leg by taking liberties with people because their defense is going to be weaker than it would be in a traditional wrestling match.

I haven't been taught/seen taught pinching the knees on a head outside shot. Do some good wrestlers teach that?
I have never seen the head outside single taught with a leg pinch. I have seen the same side head as the leg on the double Coleman Scott and Johnny Thompson used it. I was never was taught and don't like singles with a leg pinch, makes it much easier to stuff, in my experience

I like these quite a bit, thanks for post TS I'm gonna have to pay some more attention to their youtube.

Here's Coleman Scott showing how he hits the odd side double to shelf finish

I have never seen the head outside single taught with a leg pinch. I have seen the same side head as the leg on the double Coleman Scott and Johnny Thompson used it. I was never was taught and don't like singles with a leg pinch, makes it much easier to stuff, in my experience

I always felt the leg pinch just made it hard to run the pipe, switch to a double, or shoot to a high crotch and lift. It takes away your mobility.

That lead leg side double he shows is pretty common in MMA. Khabib shoots it a lot.

I always felt the leg pinch just made it hard to run the pipe, switch to a double, or shoot to a high crotch and lift. It takes away your mobility.

That lead leg side double he shows is pretty common in MMA. Khabib shoots it a lot.
Yeah, and I want people to try to just hold or run the pipe on me, I'm pretty good at beating the shoulder

Great thread. Watching Dillashaw hit that double like it was nothing against Lineker was really impressive.

What makes the misdirection double even more enticing for me in submission wrestling is that it puts your head on their left side from a standard right front position. A lot of people are significantly worse at threatening the guillotine on that side with slower reflexes and sloppier execution simply because they are so used to the head coming in on the right side.

Trying it out asap.

Back