No-gi bjj or judo?

Rdude92

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Due to time complications I could only choose to train in one of them. Both are just 10 min away from my house.
My grappling background: 4 years in judo(but its been a decade since I trained in judo), basically a blue Belt.
any advice guys?

Short answer: try both and see what you like better.

Long answer:
It depends on what you want to do. Would you rather be doing more stand-up or mat work? It also comes down to which individual school is better. Which place has the better instructors and training partners? The best way to figure this out is to go to both, and try a few classes and see what you prefer.

how about you try both and do what you enjoy more?

If you haven’t done no gi bjj before you will be starting from the bottom(getting beat up etc) which can be fun or frustrating depending on yourself. I took a year off judo and when I started back up it came back to me reasonably quickly.
Shame you can’t do both

Oranges and apples...

No gi is probably 10x more fun, less hard on the body...

Oranges and apples...

No gi is probably 10x more fun, less hard on the body...

That's the key for me. I have infinite respect for judo's stand up, but I just can't afford to lose a knee because some guy fell wrong on my leg. Last time the thought of doing judo crossed my mind, I saw a kid fall wrong and break and dislocate his elbow at the same time right in front of me. I'll stick with pulling guard if I'm facing a wrestler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back