No endorphin rush after BJJ???

finalboss

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I do about two hours of Bjj on a regular basis, but I never get an endorphin rush. Instead I feel plain tired. But after doing Muay thai and condition for 2 hours, I get a massive endorphin rush. Why is this happening?

Maybe a difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise?

I have no idea.

If I had to guess, it’s because rolling isn’t a lot of aerobic conditioning. you go hard for 5-7 minutes and then get to rest and repeat 4-10 times. Bjj like that leaves my body and grips dead but doesn’t exactly work the heart and lungs like I’d want it to. It’s honestly a lot of muscle output if you are rolling hard

Also drilling bjj most of the time isn’t going to be ‘cardio’ either. While drilling striking is almost always a bunch of cardio for newer guys (stuff like padwork or partner drills)

Striking is a ton of ‘cardio’ or aerobic conditioning. There is no ‘rest’ when you are on your feet and someone is punching and kicking at you. Not to mention kickboxing classes tend to have a lot of conditioning built in to the class (it’s part of what you pay for), while most bjj schools I have gone to expect you to condition outside of class if you take it seriously.

If you are looking to feel good after class, try doing some conditioning at the end of bjj. You even said it yourself that Muay Thai you are doing conditioning in the class

Last edited:
Perhaps your experience in sparring muay thai mean that you don't feel danger / stress in rolling BJJ? How would you describe your attitude to striking sparring vs rolling?

test problems maybe? when i train hard i always feel great when i get home if u fuck around then no

Perhaps your experience in sparring muay thai mean that you don't feel danger / stress in rolling BJJ? How would you describe your attitude to striking sparring vs rolling?
I feel more stress in BJJ, because of the steep learning curve and it doesn't help feeling pain everytime I roll, because of injuries.

I feel more stress in BJJ, because of the steep learning curve and it doesn't help feeling pain everytime I roll, because of injuries.

Then your problem isn’t endorphins, it’s that you dont have fun getting beat up. Once you lose that stress you will start having the most fun, Endorphines will kick in

Last edited:
Probably rolling too hard and not drilling enough?

When i went to a class full of seniors who wanted to just stay relatively fit, i felt great, tons of cardio, tons of drilling and rolling was just me trying my best not to hurt them while trying new techniques.

Then i moved to the young folk class and it was the opposite.

Usually my endorphin level is proportional to how challenging my opponent is.

You may not be as challenged in bjj as you are in muay thai.

Usually my endorphin level is proportional to how challenging my opponent is.

You may not be as challenged in bjj as you are in muay thai.

He claims that the learning curve is too big in Bjj, that suggest he’s still getting beat up, may be his gym is full with high belts... he might not be getting the submission fix frecuent enough...

Back