no elbows drill on MT classes?

frango

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
so...
today i visited a good muay thai school.
i was told there was no elbows allowed in sparring or drilling 1 on 1.
they do teach the technique and they land elbows on pads and punch bags but sparring is just knees, kicks and punches.

What do you guys think of this? Does is sound lame or legit?
Elbows can be nasty, i know....i just dont have any experience with muay thai gyms...

it is for sure a good place to learn.

how do you guys learn and practice at your gym?

Depends on the level.

Over here once you get to intermediate level, youre then allowed to throw elbows. Til the mean time, there are more important fundamentals that greener peeps need to cover. Also, since the distance is very different, new guys who are shit at distance management (and they are) will be confused and thrown off. Its better to get it in once the basics are drilled in.

Also the lack of control , if the coach doesn't force people to purchase elbow pads for sparring, last thing you want is gym heros smashing elbows and everyone getting cut up

Last edited:
You’ve got to teach them properly and have drills that are monitored closely, but I believe they should be taught

hmm..ok
its a legit place so i guess they are just carefull.
instructor said the pros use elbows during sparring so...they have pros there

thank you

so...
today i visited a good muay thai school.
i was told there was no elbows allowed in sparring or drilling 1 on 1.
they do teach the technique and they land elbows on pads and punch bags but sparring is just knees, kicks and punches.

What do you guys think of this? Does is sound lame or legit?
Elbows can be nasty, i know....i just dont have any experience with muay thai gyms...

it is for sure a good place to learn.

how do you guys learn and practice at your gym?

its still pretty easy to cut guys with elbow pads on. I fight with elbows, and depending on who I am working with, i will/wont work them. If its someone i know and trust, ill work them. if not I wont. I can recall a while back I was sparring with a pro fighter, and a newer type guy, rotating back and forth. Newer guy had elbow pads on and asked if I wanted to elbow, I said no. In sparring, he tries to start going all hard and I had to put him in his place, ended up hurting myself kicking him. Had we been using elbows outcome would have been worse for both of us. thats my 2 cents.

Depends on the level.

Over here once you get to intermediate level, youre then allowed to throw elbows. Til the mean time, there are more important fundamentals that greener peeps need to cover. Also, since the distance is very different, new guys who are shit at distance management (and they are) will be confused and thrown off. Its better to get it in once the basics are drilled in.

Also the lack of control , if the coach doesn't force people to purchase elbow pads for sparring, last thing you want is gym heros smashing elbows and everyone getting cut up

What are you talking about.......all these words..........when you could have just said ...........Just Bang!!!!

Get them to sign that disclaimer first..........then get all the noobs in a line doing the Muay Thai version of Cobra Kai with elbows

Not even that many high level thai fighters spar with elbows.. Just not worth the risk. You can still get good at elbows by:

- doing elbows on the thai pads or focus mitts..

- bagwork and shadow boxing.

- clinching with no or light contact elbows. Only on sparring partner you know well and trust. I like doing 3/4 of the motion in clinching.

I have tried different types of elbow pads during sparring. But they where are meh..

Not even that many high level thai fighters spar with elbows.. Just not worth the risk. You can still get good at elbows by:

- doing elbows on the thai pads or focus mitts..

- bagwork and shadow boxing.

- clinching with no or light contact elbows. Only on sparring partner you know well and trust. I like doing 3/4 of the motion in clinching.

I have tried different types of elbow pads during sparring. But they where are meh..

Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu trains elbows by showing the elbow and calling it, but not actually connecting with it, during sparring.clinching similar to what you do

Like the others said. Few gyms will allow elbows during sparing. I personally train them only with people i trust, and most of the time its only the motion, we don't go for contact.
But i find it very important to train them with different drills. Elbows can be deadly, but you need to understand the technique to use them properly (and be able to defend them). You don't just decide one day that you will throw elbows, drill them a few days, and then be ready.

I've never heard of a Muay Thai gym that you join as a beginner which allows you to sparr with elbows straight away. You usually need to be at a more advanced level before learning how to use elbows, especially sparring with them.

At a more advanced level though you can sparr with elbows like this:

It's also good to know that most of the times amateurs don't fight with elbows their first few fights.

Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu trains elbows by showing the elbow and calling it, but not actually connecting with it, during sparring.clinching similar to what you do

great point.. in addition to the elbows, actually do the same thing while working knees during clinch (pointing knee and pulling up short before connecting with ribs/chest

that being said the average person simply doesn't posses enough control to throw a bow/knee without causing damage. eaten far to many painful knees because the person points instead of slapping, cant imagine whats inflicted via an elbow

typically only spar elbows with folks that have the proper gear and actually know what there doing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back