NO Boxing in boxing gym (ADVICE)?

newbie1997

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
hello i recently decided to start boxing to get in better shape and to pick up a hobby to do in freetime.

i paid my dues for gym access and coaching for the month and on my 2nd day i'm already discouraged

I feel as if my trainer isn't interested in training but instead just wants to watch tv. on my first day he had me do 15 mins on a treadmill and 15 and the elliptical after completing that we did about 2 minutes of mitt work then he just just told me to work on the heavy bag. left jab right jab left jab and i did that for about 15 mins then 10 minutes of jump rope after 3 sets of situps and pushups and he said i was done for the day

today on my 2nd day i started out with 15 mins on a treadmill and 15 and the elliptical and he proceeded to tell me that today is physical day and gave me a list of exercises to do such as push ups, sit ups , bicep curls and etc(simple things) while he just sat down watching tv . after completing the exercises excited i asked what was next and he said i was done for the day. NO BOXING was done and i was furious but my non confrontation side of me was thinking just be patient so i went home pretty mad and decided to search the web for advice. is this normal ? have you been to the gym and didnt box ? should i say anything ? p.s both days the gym was empty as i came at opening to fit my schedule, and honesty have learned nothing and feel as if im losing time and money
any replies would be greatly appreciated

They're not gonna let you start sparring right away, just be patient and do what he says. Maybe ask what could speed up the process where you can start hitting the mitts more often or something. It's only been two days, stick to it.

Shoulda gone to a UFC gym bro, they teach you how to box and stop a double

a LOT of boxing basics can be self taught

and nearly of them you were told to do, its stuff that needs learning, if you don't want to do it in a gym, buy your own gear and when you can do the basics....go back to a gym

hello i recently decided to start boxing to get in better shape and to pick up a hobby to do in freetime.

i paid my dues for gym access and coaching for the month and on my 2nd day i'm already discouraged

I feel as if my trainer isn't interested in training but instead just wants to watch tv. on my first day he had me do 15 mins on a treadmill and 15 and the elliptical after completing that we did about 2 minutes of mitt work then he just just told me to work on the heavy bag. left jab right jab left jab and i did that for about 15 mins then 10 minutes of jump rope after 3 sets of situps and pushups and he said i was done for the day

today on my 2nd day i started out with 15 mins on a treadmill and 15 and the elliptical and he proceeded to tell me that today is physical day and gave me a list of exercises to do such as push ups, sit ups , bicep curls and etc(simple things) while he just sat down watching tv . after completing the exercises excited i asked what was next and he said i was done for the day. NO BOXING was done and i was furious but my non confrontation side of me was thinking just be patient so i went home pretty mad and decided to search the web for advice. is this normal ? have you been to the gym and didnt box ? should i say anything ? p.s both days the gym was empty as i came at opening to fit my schedule, and honesty have learned nothing and feel as if im losing time and money
any replies would be greatly appreciated
no disrespect but a few days is nothing. But, ya, you're "trainer" sounds useless. I wouldn't confront him, i'd just leave. I've had nothing but useless trainers in my time, they can't see that they are useless and they don't react well when you point out how and why they are useless. A few days? I went to a gym where they bragged of having 13 world champions and it took six months to spar. Most gyms are useless I think. I recently heard Rhonda Rouseys mother complain about how her trainer had neglected her until he saw he could make a buck. that's the way things are, always have been really. As for me, once they realized I wasn't there to play, it was too late I didn't appreciate my time being wasted and I saw it as hypocritical to take an interest once they saw they could benefit in some way. That may sound hardheaded but that's the way I felt. How old are you btw?

They're not gonna let you start sparring right away, just be patient and do what he says. Maybe ask what could speed up the process where you can start hitting the mitts more often or something. It's only been two days, stick to it.
ya, but if he's the only fucker in the gym and the dude is watching soap operas. It says something to a guy, it says you don't matter. I never fought for those reasons, when a trainer thought it was best for him to sit on his ass and talk to his buddies or, with the mma guys, they just gossip and giggle like a gaggle of girls, that's their way of saying they aren't really interested in what they are there for. You know, one thing I've learned in my life, lots of people do things for secondary reasons that are really primary. People go to church just to be seen, men go to lots of places just to meet women etc..,

eh. This sounds like most trainers I've encountered at gyms. At the gym I go to now, the trainers are more of personal trainers. They don't care about teaching fundamentals or anything. They just sort of watch you work out and yell at you, mitts to make it feel worth it.

The only thing that comes close is the amateur team, but I feel like even then it's 8/10 personal training and then 2/10 coaching. I agree with learning the basics online or by reading a boxing basics book.

would be funny if he was mr. miyagi-ing you somehow and you just weren't realizing it. but also, 2 days is too little. you'd think that money is a reason enough to care, but it isn't for most trainers.

oh btw, are you overweight? It sounds like your trainer thinks you're overweight and is making you lose weight. also, you sound like a millennial.

Not sure what to really tell you because I'm not there to really see what's going on.

I'm a firm believer in teaching people how to box from the ground up. And taking a very slow technical approach. your coach should be there to show you how to perform simple techniques and then have you drill them and make adjustments as you train.

Don't worry about doing too much mitt work when you're starting. He may just be waiting until you can grasp better fundamentals

thanks for the advice so far

I'm 19 and not overweight. i'm actually in pretty good cardiovascular shape and completed the two workouts with ease

it just felt pretty crappy to travel from my house early in the morning to do exercises i could have completed from my bedroom and not even put my boxing gloves on . its like Mozfonky was there , i was the only person in the gym while this "trainer" watches soap operas. At one point i looked outside the window and i see this guy enjoying a
cigarette. i also feel like a sucker for basically committing to a month cause i get the vibe that this guy is basically just waiting for me too quit as if he isn't interested in teaching me anything and getting my repeat business but its only been two days so i will keep you guys updated if anything changes

once again thanks for the advice

you wouldn't be the first person who felt shortchanged by a gym. I remember my mma gym, I signed first to a contract for 75 a month (circa '99) for six months which was expensive for me at the time and once I signed it, the owner said, "once you buy a t-shirt and uniform you can take the classes". It might seem like a small thing but between boxing/martial arts and music, I'd been let down so many times at 29 that i couldn't ignore it. I decided to make him beg me to train with him. Well, he didn't beg but he did ask. Sadly, i think i might have gotten the wrong impression of him, i got to know him better and he was a wonderful guy, still, nothing would have gotten done that I wanted to get done. Lots of guys burn themselves out hoping for a trainer to be on top of things for them, it's never happened. I've seen guys completely fry themselves trying to train like a maniac and do all the other things that have to be done to survive (work,family). I saw one guy on here who said he demanded his money back from my old mma gym, I was never that assertive, that's always been a huge fault of mine. Would it have made any difference? I doubt it, you can't really change people and you really can't change people who think they have some sort of power. Good luck.

oh btw, are you overweight? It sounds like your trainer thinks you're overweight and is making you lose weight. also, you sound like a millennial.

The trainer is supposed to teach him fundamentals first and foremost. And there's no scuse to watch TV instead of training.
You sound like an idiot who mwould pay 70 bucks per month for a glorified cardio kickboxing class

a LOT of boxing basics can be self taught

and nearly of them you were told to do, its stuff that needs learning, if you don't want to do it in a gym, buy your own gear and when you can do the basics....go back to a gym
Self taught usually = hands low, no use of hips etc etc

Join an actual boxing gym
And give it a couple of weeks op

what gym is this? name and shame come on..

It is probably a better idea to join a boxing class. The club in my hometown used to have around 30 people in the beginners class. You do a lot of technique practice with a partner (punching / blocking etc). The trainers walked around correcting and giving advice. I never had a class without a lot of technique training (3 different clubs).
Hell, even the warm-up should be footwork, shadowboxing and so on.
If you attend most of the classes, train hard and have a good attitude you will end up with more time with the coaches anyway.

Self taught usually = hands low, no use of hips etc etc

Join an actual boxing gym
And give it a couple of weeks op
all depends, the great fighters were almost always self taught primarily. Of course, you could say they had gifts and that might be true. I think you are your own best teacher. We get conned into looking to others ever since we're 2, that's not to say that others might not have good info.

getting into a good gym and a good relationship is a rarity not the norm. You kinda have to take your chances. There is no telling how much talent has been lost and squandered just through apathy. I really doubt, as great as the great fighters are, that they were the most naturally talented that were born. Like anything else, a persons culture, life, surrounding all make a difference. I'm sure there were greater talents than Ali and Ray Robinson just like I'm sure there were greater potential musical genius' than Beethoven out of the billions that have come upon the earth. The ability is only a piece of things, there are a multitude of factors.

No issue with the trainer not letting you spar or forcing you to do simple drills for the first days or even weeks that you are there. But if you are the only student, he should be paying attention to you. Are you saying that he was watching TV while you were hitting the heavy bag during the first day you were there? That's inexcusable IMO. There are probably a lot of small areas where a trainer should be making adjustments for a first day trainee, plus he can get to know you and your fitness and dedication level by watching you work through drills.

I think you probably need to find another place where you get more attention, but you probably still won't "box" until the trainer is confident that your conditioning and fundamentals are at a minimum level.

The trainer is supposed to teach him fundamentals first and foremost. And there's no scuse to watch TV instead of training.
You sound like an idiot who mwould pay 70 bucks per month for a glorified cardio kickboxing class

lol I mean I agree that's what the trainer should do. I was trying to speculate why the trainer was making him do 30 minutes of cardio before it all. I only do cardio boxing, by the way and it's only $68 a month with auto-enrollment and a $150 dollar enrollment fee. plus there's the $50 annual towel service fee. don't act like you know me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back