Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan

PaunchyLawyer

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Did anyone watch this fight live. I was just chilling before boxing watching highlights and this series came up called the When the hardest Hitters in boxing meet. The first part of the series is about Gerald McClellan. It shows his two amazing fights with Julian Jackson and Gerald and then the third fight they showed was vs Nigel Benn. I had no idea this fight was a thing i never heard of Gerald McClellan before this since i am an mma fighter who barely watches boxing, just train it.. and then it shows the fucking crazy war they had an his Brain damage he took which put him in an absolutely miserable place for the rest of his life.

My question is who do you guys believe was winning this fight, who was the better boxer, how big of a fight was this and if you watched at the time what was your initial thoughts. And why isnt this more of a debated fight when it comes to head trauma? Makes the Kel Brook fight where they threw in the towel more understanding.

Did anyone watch this fight live. I was just chilling before boxing watching highlights and this series came up called the When the hardest Hitters in boxing meet. The first part of the series is about Gerald McClellan. It shows his two amazing fights with Julian Jackson and Gerald and then the third fight they showed was vs Nigel Benn. I had no idea this fight was a thing i never heard of Gerald McClellan before this since i am an mma fighter who barely watches boxing, just train it.. and then it shows the fucking crazy war they had an his Brain damage he took which put him in an absolutely miserable place for the rest of his life.

My question is who do you guys believe was winning this fight, who was the better boxer, how big of a fight was this and if you watched at the time what was your initial thoughts. And why isnt this more of a debated fight when it comes to head trauma? Makes the Kel Brook fight where they threw in the towel more understanding.
It gets talked about a lot here. In fact I think just last week there was a big thread about the fight and brain damage.
Benn was a big under dog. I dont remember anyone giving him a chance not even his home town or country publications.
At the time McClellan was considered almost on par with Roy Jones Jr. People kept saying he was the meanest and scariest dude in boxing. Was definitely considered one of the best pound for pound in the sport. Mini Mike Tyson comparisons got tossed around a lot.

Benn was always just considered a tough powerful brawler who over achieved. Very flawed. He never got the respect he deserved. But he was what he was.
So most people gave ALL the advantages to Gerald. Size, Speed, Skill, Strength, Durability, Power, Experience, Competition and Reach(IRC)
Technically Gerald should of won the fight. The ref was absolutely horrendous. Most refs would of counted Benn out when he went through the ropes. That is one of many controversies with the ref and this fight.

I remember the fight but none of my friends were into boxing at the time. I never discussed boxing with anyone at that time.

As far as who was winning, I think I had McClellan winning but fading fast.

Pretty much agree with everything that wklysportsmemes posted. McLellan was hot favourite even though benn was the defending champ and the fight was in his manor. McLellan was better at pretty much everything but benns heart and fighting spirit won the fight (along with a slow count in the 1st round)
Nigel benn was my hero and this was my favourite fight of all time, but I can't watch it anymore. Damn shame with what happened to McLellan. I honestly think the guy was one of the best fighters of that generation and would've still been talked about nowadays

People focus on the fact that the ref helped Benn to survive that first round, but I've always been amazed that Benn himself was able to get up and continue fighting after that. It's clear to see that Benn gets hit and goes to sleep, his hands drop and his unconscious body slumps out of the ring. So for him to get legit KO'd and come back and survive against McClellan, who to this day is one of the most devastating punchers I've ever seen.

McClellan, what a monster (I'm talking about in the ring). If IIRC, wasn't the count for a fighter punched out threw the ropes up to 15-20 secs or something according to the rules of this bout? Either way, both man had a claim to a victory in some way that night, but goddamn I wish McClellan just didn't fight and retire before this!

Watched it live, as well as Eubank-Watson in the same era. Pretty tough to handle.

Regardless of the 1st round controversy I think I had McClellan ahead.

People focus on the fact that the ref helped Benn to survive that first round, but I've always been amazed that Benn himself was able to get up and continue fighting after that. It's clear to see that Benn gets hit and goes to sleep, his hands drop and his unconscious body slumps out of the ring. So for him to get legit KO'd and come back and survive against McClellan, who to this day is one of the most devastating punchers I've ever seen.

He was always known to be at his most dangerous when hurt, you see it a lot in his earlier fights. Tough as nails and the heart of a lion, but as a boxer pretty limited in all honesty, though he could certainly bang as well

McClellan, what a monster (I'm talking about in the ring). If IIRC, wasn't the count for a fighter punched out threw the ropes up to 15-20 secs or something according to the rules of this bout? Either way, both man had a claim to a victory in some way that night, but goddamn I wish McClellan just didn't fight and retire before this!
Thats only if you get knocked out of the ring off the apron.
Benn was knocked through the ropes but managed to stay fully on the ring apron from what I remember. By most rules thats still a 10 count.

Sometimes people claim that Benn only got the advantage by rabbit punching. But that second round was impressive. Benn was hitting Gerald with clean shots that were hurting him.

greatest fight i have ever watched live

i had a small bet on McClelland for a first round KO as i never really liked Benn(more of a Eubank fan), and by the end of the night was like a lunatic and will forever remain a Benn fan after that showing

Benn IMO was never really big enough for Super Middle, and the worst thing you could do when fighting him was to try and brawl with him, you just pissed him off and made him fight harder

I've watched boxing for over 30 years, and i've never seen a fight like that since(maybe the aftermath has something to do with that also)

Also, on a side note, Nigel Benn was once involved with some extremely dodgy characters, and a hit was on his life at one point. I don't quite recall the details, but someone put in a word for him and he was eventually left alone....

a few guys who were involved with Benn...not so lucky...murdered on a country lane

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/life-for-men-who-killed-dealers-in-essex-drug-sting-1139897.html

Benn got real lucky from what i recall

One thing that always sticks out in my mind when i think about this fight..

If you were going to make a list of the 10 most underated fighters in the history of boxing I think Gerald McClellan would have to be on the list.

I really dont think people understand just how good this guy was, and how much of an animal he was.

Not only did he decimate Julian Jackson twice, and destory Mugabi.

But seriously watch the benn fight ( if you can stomach it) and actually watch what this guy is doing. First round he Ko's him. If it had been in America the fight would have been stopped.

Benn admirably comes back ( rabbit punching along the way). Gerald's brain at some point starts to short circuit. Hes blinking like a maniac, his mouthpiece is hanging out of his mouth etc.

AND STILL Gerald drops him AGAIN in round 9 with a vicious combination WHILE his brain is going haywire.

Seriously one of the 10 most underrated fighters ever Gerald McClellan.

Last edited:
He was always known to be at his most dangerous when hurt, you see it a lot in his earlier fights. Tough as nails and the heart of a lion, but as a boxer pretty limited in all honesty, though he could certainly bang as well
i really like Benn, but the rabbit punching in this fight might be the most egregious fouling i have ever seen.

Rabbit punch after Rabbit punch right on McClellan's brain stem.

Watched it live, as well as Eubank-Watson in the same era. Pretty tough to handle.

Regardless of the 1st round controversy I think I had McClellan ahead.
Strange that it was in the same era essentially

Eubank-Watson
McClellan- Benn

Imagine though if everyone had stayed healthy. They could have done rematches and rubber matches out the wazoo with these four from 160-168.

It still one of the greatest 160-168 era's ever
Benn
Eubank
Watson
McClellan
Toney
McCallum
Jackson
Herol Graham
Collins
Calazaghe

Last edited:
Speaking of this fight and fighters of the era, power question, Who do you guys think wins?

McClellan right after he beat Julian Jackson the 1st time, or McCallum, when he was younger and was coming off HIS best MW win/performance (you pick)?

Thats only if you get knocked out of the ring off the apron.
Benn was knocked through the ropes but managed to stay fully on the ring apron from what I remember. By most rules thats still a 10 count.

I need the rules of the contest straightened out for me, once and for all. Can anyone confirm the rules of that specific bout and name the rightful winner? Any sources on subject?

I need the rules of the contest straightened out for me, once and for all. Can anyone confirm the rules of that specific bout and name the rightful winner? Any sources on subject?
Have you seen this?

Its an awesome piece.
I think it explains everything if I remember correctly. One of the best boxing docs ever IMO.

But seriously watch the benn fight ( if you can stomach it) and actually watch what this guy is doing. First round he Ko's him. If it had been in American the fight would have been stopped.

Benn admirably comes back ( rabbit punching along the way). Gerald's brain at some point starts to short circuit. Hes blinking like a maniac, his mouthpiece is hanging out of his mouth etc.

McClellan had serious serious power, he didnt seem to be very intelligent both in and out the ring though.

And i don't think that fight would have been stopped in an atmosphere like that in America is the roles were reversed

McClellan had serious serious power, he didnt seem to be very intelligent both in and out the ring though.

And i don't think that fight would have been stopped in an atmosphere like that in America is the roles were reversed
You dont think so? i dunno it seemed like Benn pretty much went out. Went limp, through the ropes, etc. I dont know if i see a ref allowing him to continue if it wasn't in Benn's house

and i dunno if i there was very many MW's throughout history who could have beaten McClellan. For example its kinda hard for me to imagine someone like B-Hop standing up to him tbh. Maybe B-Hop outsmarts him but this guy was as much of an animal as Tyson imo.

And i am the biggest B-Hop fan there is

You dont think so? i dunno it seemed like Benn pretty much went out. Went limp, through the ropes, etc. I dont know if i see a ref allowing him to continue if it wasn't in Benn's house

and i dunno if i there was very many MW's throughout history who could have beaten McClellan. For example its kinda hard for me to imagine someone like B-Hop standing up to him tbh. Maybe B-Hop outsmarts him but this guy was as much of an animal as Tyson imo.

And i am the biggest B-Hop fan there is

I have never seen anyone come back like that from being that KOd. One second he's completely limp, dropping between the ropes.... the next he's looking at the ref like he's ready for the bell to ring.

Back